• Thread starter CrimsonRaven712
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrimsonRaven712

I just wanted to get some verification on something I heard about holiday hours. Since tomorrow is holiday pay, do those hours not count to my weeks total? For example, if I'm at 40 hours this week, and I'm scheduled for an 8hr shift tomorrow does that mean I can add 8 hrs onto the week anywhere bringing my weeks total up to 48.

Someone was trying to explain it to me today and I just wanted to get verification from other people. I don't want to get into trouble for hitting overtime hours. I'm a bit confused and I don't think I explained it the best here, sorry.

You will get 40 hours for the week, plus 4 hours holiday pay.
Does Holiday Premium Pay not fall under it's own line item now? Last time I worked a holiday it was the amount of hours I worked but the pay rate was 1.5x rather than split that way.

Spot policy. Correct time is 2 hours extra pay.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.png
    image.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.png
    image.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 84
Just need to physically work /clock in for 40 hours or less. The time and a half pay just gets tacked onto your check. A little bonus for being scheduled on a federal holiday.

So I need to make sure that I stay under the 40hrs for the week?

So I need to make sure that I stay under the 40hrs for the week?
No. You were correct in your 1st post. There is a lot of misinformation about this but if you think it through, it is simple. If you work 8 hrs on the 4th you are already being paid time & a half so you can work an additional 40 hours without it being an issue that week for more overtime. Make sense?

No. You were correct in your 1st post. There is a lot of misinformation about this but if you think it through, it is simple. If you work 8 hrs on the 4th you are already being paid time & a half so you can work an additional 40 hours without it being an issue that week for more overtime. Make sense?
Ok, thank you. That makes sense.

In addition to the 8 hours you are working on Monday, you can work 32 additional hours. You can NOT work more than 40 hours in one week...Spot frowns upon paying OT.

In addition to the 8 hours you are working on Monday, you can work 32 additional hours. You can NOT work more than 40 hours in one week...Spot frowns upon paying OT.
Monday is already being paid at the OT rate. So you could work 8 hours Monday and 40 regular hours that week without hitting OT.

@jadetiger712 make sure you have approval to work extra hours!

Yes, you can work Monday and then 40 hours during the rest of the week. I am scheduled 44.5 hours, working 6 days.

Yes, you can work Monday and then 40 hours during the rest of the week. I am scheduled 44.5 hours, working 6 days.
This is the correct answer. I worked 54 hours during the week of Memorial Day a few years ago (14 on the holiday, 40 for the rest of the week). I'm working 48 hours this week. Not a single minute of OT.

A lot of that up there does not make sense to me.

Anything over 40 hours is considered over time according to federal law.
Your actual presence in the building being clocked in counts toward your work week, right? If I'm clocked in for 35 hours, I get straight pay. If I'm clocked in for 45 hours, I've earned 5 hours of overtime. (time + 1/2)

We're receiving OT pay for holidays but we're not working any extra hours. We're just getting paid more, it does not affect our hours worked. So no one is working over time if they're working 40 hours or less. It's holiday pay at time + 1/2, but it's not OT pay.

Let's say you work 5 hours July 4th, as part of your 40 hour work week.
Your pay stub will show 40 hours at regular pay, then will show 5 hours at 1/2 pay.
It's not that you worked 45 hours, it's just the way it's printed out.

If you've been scheduled more than 40 hours in a work week, then you ARE eligible for over time pay. Technically, the day on which you start going into overtime, is the day your OT pay kicks in. If you work the holiday, then end up in OT on Saturday, then for any hours past 40 that you worked Saturday, you should receive time + 1/2 Target would try to save a buck by saying that they paid you OT pay on the holiday, but that's technically bullshit but they get away with it.

Overtime Pay - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Having said that, I'm ok with it because these are the highest paychecks I get each year. To me, the holiday is just another day, so I'm working 48 hours this week and 8 of it will be time and a half. Is it right? Is it fair? No. But the alternative is that I'm limited to 40 hours this week. I'd rather have it the way it is.

I wish the same rule regarding holiday pay + personal OT also applied to allotted workcenter hours.

Would be great if I could actually get 40 hours this week!

I got it verified by 3 TLs today that you can hit 48 hrs total for the week, but they stressed that you need to get this approved by someone and not just decide you are going to stay late.

You might want to talk to your hr. Overtime must be approved in advance, at my store. You must be working more than 5 days this week.

I got it verified by 3 TLs today that you can hit 48 hrs total for the week, but they stressed that you need to get this approved by someone and not just decide you are going to stay late.
I get what they mean, but I hate the way that is worded. You still need to stay under 40 hours for the non-holidays. I've also heard people at my store say "you can work 48 hours on a holiday week", which says nothing about how many hours are worked on each day.

HA!!!! This!!! THIS is why this makes sense!!! I have never UNDERSTOOD the why of it. Just that it WAS! Thanks for the clarification!:)

Let's say you work 5 hours July 4th, as part of your 40 hour work week.
Your pay stub will show 40 hours at regular pay, then will show 5 hours at 1/2 pay.
It's not that you worked 45 hours, it's just the way it's printed out.
Nope, you would have 35 regular hours and 5 hours on a separate line as Holiday Premium at a pay rate 1.5x normal.

Source: I worked 46 hours the week of Memorial Day, including 8 on the holiday. My paystub for that pay period reflected 78 regular hours (worked 40 the week after) and 8 "Hol Prem."

holpay.jpg

Nope, you would have 35 regular hours and 5 hours on a separate line as Holiday Premium at a pay rate 1.5x normal.

Source: I worked 46 hours the week of Memorial Day, including 8 on the holiday. My paystub for that pay period reflected 78 regular hours (worked 40 the week after) and 8 "Hol Prem."

View attachment 2324

Oh right, I should have actually looked at a pay stub instead of trying to remember. But that makes sense because it shows holiday pay, not overtime. Which was kinda my point but not conveyed very well on my part. Thanks for posting the image.

I liked the time and half for working yesterday. Plus our store had burgers,dogs,salads,beans and water for everyone. Did any other stores have food for the tm's?

Yes. We had a cookout too. Burgers, dogs, watermelon, chips, pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back