Archived Hot, hot, hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I posted this somewhere before, but here goes again....

Your SFT should be your go-to person for resolving these issues as "store comfort" is something we are suppose to be focusing on. They should have a green hand held sensor to take temperature and humidity readings throughout the store and compare them against the IOPS Panel located in one of your electrical rooms. The readings they took should match up with the panel, and if not, FMOC needs to be notified to have it addressed. If the IOPS Panel is displaying 0 degrees for any of the HVAC units on the roof, there is a communication issue with the unit and again, FMOC needs to be notified with a workorder. The panel itself should read a store relative humidity of 56%(+/- 1%), anything higher or lower is an indicator of a problem. The individual HVAC readings for temps should be no higher than 75 for anywhere in the store with the exception of your entry units which allow for temps of 80 before the units should kick in. As far as looking at the IOPS Panel, any Sr.TL or above should have keys for the electrical room and they can't really access anything through the panel that can cause problems.

Our SFT posted a notice in the break room that basically said, let them know if the temperature is excessive, but that otherwise they check it often, so suck it up. Well, not those exact words, but you get the picture.

Our AC is broken for upstairs (offices, TSC, conference room, breakroom)...everyone took their breaks in Food Ave or the mall today. Ridiculous.

I think we have done all we can do at the store level, the SFT has supposedly looked at everything he possibly can and found no problems( as far as I know). It's just that the guests are coming up to us in droves saying that the entire store is way too hot and they will not shop there until it is fixed. My GSTL has started handing each guest that complains a comment card and telling them they can fill it out to complain to corporate. He thinks our SFT is just not doing his job, apparently. Won't that backfire on the GSTL though?

I think we have done all we can do at the store level, the SFT has supposedly looked at everything he possibly can and found no problems( as far as I know). It's just that the guests are coming up to us in droves saying that the entire store is way too hot and they will not shop there until it is fixed. My GSTL has started handing each guest that complains a comment card and telling them they can fill it out to complain to corporate. He thinks our SFT is just not doing his job, apparently. Won't that backfire on the GSTL though?
No it will not. But it will help their survey scores. Ask your etl to call building services. They know what the temps are in your store are.

Did anyone do a work order?

I think so? Our SFT was on the roof yesterday with an "air conditioning guy" (according to one of the TLs). I had to go up and find him after his walkie died, it was not a good day to be on the roof! Anyway, I came into work today, and still no AC upstairs. They were doing interviews and orientation in the GSTL office.

I think so? Our SFT was on the roof yesterday with an "air conditioning guy" (according to one of the TLs). I had to go up and find him after his walkie died, it was not a good day to be on the roof! Anyway, I came into work today, and still no AC upstairs. They were doing interviews and orientation in the GSTL office.

That's a good sign. They have to get parts for a/c unit.

Our SFT posted a notice in the break room that basically said, let them know if the temperature is excessive, but that otherwise they check it often, so suck it up. Well, not those exact words, but you get the picture.

Pretty much what our STL said to us. They went all over the store and the air-conditioning is working fine and if we notice any spots in the store that is hot let them know. ROFL The entire store is a hot bog hole, humid and nasty hot. They even had signs up bragging about how they fixed the air-conditioning for us.

Thankfully today should be the end of the heat wave from (literally) hell. It was beginning to turn into a competition to see which cashier could get their lane light off and get to the water fountain the fastest.

The GSTL asked me to take one for the team this morning and help her help the STL get carts. Ugh. That was before the cold front came through. Luckily I was not out there long.

I tagged-team with the cart attendant on Friday night. The quicker we got done, the less time either of us had to spend outside!

I took a quick breather in cafe afterwards with some ice water.

My store is crazy, hot. I sweat more at work than I do at the gym! It must be well almost 80 in our building and I never feel air blowing down on us. It's horrible.

The Cashiers have mini fans! Jealous!

Keep a stack of comment cards at your register & give one to each guest who complains about the temp.
Tell 'em to not only fill out the card, but to call the guest relations number on it to REALLY follow up.
Then direct them to add it to survey comments. You'll get more surveys; corp might take notice. Win-win.

This is what I did last year...but asked the guests to send the cards to corp (postage is covered on the cards) evidently it worked.....sort of.....one day the temperature was reset and it was so cold that the guests were complaining and our store manager called corp and asked them to put the temp back to where it was.

This year we have a new maintenance guy and he's been doing his best to keep the air on.
We've got a huge fan at GS. Probably not brand, but it keeps it a bit cooler there.

It's that time of year again. It's getting warmer outside, and it's hotter than hell in my store. It's been around 80° or higher everyday for the past week (I've been checking the thermometers in home improvement) and guests have been complaining. Thank god I have the next 3 days off and hopefully they get the AC working properly.

Last edited:
Everything except P-Fresh, TSC, & ironically the backroom was unbearable. Unfortunately our AC units aren't large enough to cover the store we were told. They do take the edge off when it's 90+ but anything would at that point. Time to break out the drum fans and leave them on 24/7 until October.

Everything except P-Fresh, TSC, & ironically the backroom was unbearable. Unfortunately our AC units aren't large enough to cover the store we were told. They do take the edge off when it's 90+ but anything would at that point. Time to break out the drum fans and leave them on 24/7 until October.
Same here. Luckily I was doing outs yesterday, so I spent a good amount of time in the backroom. My LOD handed out gatorades to everyone. One time the AC broke completely and it was 90+. I'm surprised they didn't shut the store down because we have a lot of elderly people that shop.

Our backroom ( like most ) gets hot as hell....15 minutes after you get there in the morning the sweat is rolling . The sales floor is rather warm but starts to cool off somewhat after we open. During the summer I am thankful that I bs the coolers and freezers. :)

I was in the store this morning...not working, but I was standing there waiting for the GSTL to finish up with a guest. I was in t-shirt, jeans, and sandals. It is in the lower 60s outside, cloudy and slightly raining. It was so hot and humid in the store, I was sweating just standing there. It is not going to be pleasant working tonight.

Luckily the ban on capris in my store has been lifted. But it feels wrong wearing them when it is so cool outside.

I think it'd be a lot nicer if men could wear shorts because I would be a lot more comfortable >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back