Archived Hours cut! Everybody is really pissed off at my store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am of the general opinion, you don't understand economy of scale or the fact that most unions fail to change anything for those at the bottom of the rung. And I honestly feel you are here because you believe a union will solve your problems.

It won't.

Except that they have said they don't trust unions and are actually trying to create something different, a workers committee.

Me, I'm an old union hand.
My grandfather the Wobblie (I.W.W.) would have been happy to explain to you about how union made life better for everyone.
You like the eight hour pay day, thank the unions.
You like the 40 hour work week, thank the unions.
Not a fan of eight year olds working in coal mines, thank the unions.
Like having Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks, thank the unions.
Like earning paid time off, thank a union.
I could go on but here is the fast and dirty list that the unions have fought for,

FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
Overtime Pay
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

So, yes, the unions have changed things for people on every level.

266d1423603240-off-topic-topic.jpg

Yea mainstream unions are largely garbage, they prop up labor bureaucrats who make tons more than the workers they are suppose to represent, oftentimes the unions are more concerned with maintaining peaceful relations with bus...

I disagree. I am covered on a union workers health plan. While union dues are paid each month, there is no health insurance premium. Additionally, if we utilize the union supported clinic there is no deductible and no co pay. I have never heard of a non-professional/non executive position that offers those kind of benefits, only union positions.

My father and grandfather were part of a union when they worked for a lumber mill. Shortly after the owner died the mill was sold to a non-union chain lumber mill. To break the union the new owners shut the business completely down for 30 days, which forced a vote if the workers wanted union representation. Then the chain brought in a lot of workers from their other mills. When they officially reopened the mill and started hiring workers, over half of the hires were the people brought in by the company, to guarantee a no vote. End result, the locals who were rehired got only about half their previous wages and the benefits were gutted.

He said several team members at his home store lived in slums run by slumlords . Then wondered why people don't like him . That was the very first experience many of the team members at the store he's from had with him. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that drama anymore

Ooooook swinging a bit back on topic how do you all survive this extended cut? Right now Im babying my little bit of vaction hours but will be out by feb. With rent increased as it does every year and a pupper with medical issues I literally have a bare fridge. So lets get some ideas how do you get by until may???

Ooooook swinging a bit back on topic how do you all survive this extended cut? Right now Im babying my little bit of vaction hours but will be out by feb. With rent increased as it does every year and a pupper with medical issues I literally have a bare fridge. So lets get some ideas how do you get by until may???
I watch the swap shift board and make sure everybody knows that if they need to get rid of some hours because they can't make it for whatever reason let me know first .

I watch the swap shift board and make sure everybody knows that if they need to get rid of some hours because they can't make it for whatever reason let me know first .

I may get payed like a new hire greenhorn now, with probably more responsibility than most TL's (non Seniors) in my store, but this year I averaged out to 39.something hours. My hours do get cut, but they suspiciously happen in increments, when my vacation, can make up for it. As much as we were shat on this year, that is literally the only thing keeping me as Signing TM.

Except that they have said they don't trust unions and are actually trying to create something different, a workers committee.

Me, I'm an old union hand.
My grandfather the Wobblie (I.W.W.) would have been happy to explain to you about how union made life better for everyone.
You like the eight hour pay day, thank the unions.
You like the 40 hour work week, thank the unions.
Not a fan of eight year olds working in coal mines, thank the unions.
Like having Breaks at Work, including your Lunch Breaks, thank the unions.
Like earning paid time off, thank a union.
I could go on but here is the fast and dirty list that the unions have fought for,

FMLA
Sick Leave
Social Security
Minimum Wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII (Prohibits Employer Discrimination)
Overtime Pay
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
Worker's Compensation (Worker's Comp)
Unemployment Insurance
Pensions
Workplace Safety Standards and Regulations
Employer Health Care Insurance
Collective Bargaining Rights for Employees
Wrongful Termination Laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Whistleblower Protection Laws
Employee Polygraph Protect Act (Prohibits Employer from using a lie detector test on an employee)
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and Evaluations (Raises)
Sexual Harassment Laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday Pay
Employer Dental, Life, and Vision Insurance
Privacy Rights
Pregnancy and Parental Leave
Military Leave
The Right to Strike
Public Education for Children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 (Requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work)
Laws Ending Sweatshops in the United States

So, yes, the unions have changed things for people on every level.
You are right. The union is responsible for many of the rights and protections we enjoy today. There was a time when the union protected workers in exactly the way you listed. But that's not what the union is anymore. There are very good reasons why union membership declines every single year . The union is just another big business looking out for itself . No different than any other large organization . Trust me when I say that the people that tried to unionize at the old store the new River Valley came straight in and immediately called the news and other media outlets claiming the team members were supporting him when he hadn't even had a conversation with 90% of the people there . Maybe it's just this particular group but I failed to see how someone can claim to want to represent you but doesn't even bother to have conversations with you or your other team members. I remember him saying when he was question on this once something to the affect that it wasn't necessary... lol
Really, not necessary to talk to Team members. I don't understand that logic

Last edited:
I would suggest a second part time job, or a bit of the work out of your home type of jobs. Not the scams, but selling crafts on eBay or etsy, things like that.

This post, is the one of the reasons, I would support a high level Target unionization. To make their employees resort to Arts and Crafts on Ebay, in order to live a decent life, or a Second job, that will only probably hurt their hours in the long run, is something I truly dislike about this company. They should have their employees financial well being in mind all 4 Quarters, not just one or two. It would make every employee more productive if all they had to worry about was "making the sale", not how to pay rent, or even how to eat.

I am lucky enough to average about 40 hours throughout the year, but it brings me down and makes me feel guilty, hearing from other TM's hours are cut to 20, and they vent to me about how the company expects them to live on that (The TM's I know do a decent job).

Target (same as all successful retail organizations) is in business to make a profit not to provide for team members. They do not have employee's financial well being in mind even one quarter of the year and honestly they shouldn't. When the needs of the business dictate, more hours are scheduled and the hours drop when sales drop. The company that schedules to the needs of its employees and not the needs of the business is a company that will not last long.

No one at Target forces any team member to sell on EBay. The sense of entitlement that every team member who is hired part time should be guaranteed as many hours as they need to get by is insane to me. No one is promised hours or a certain income level, if that doesn't work for them, maybe they need to look elsewhere outside of retail for jobs.

Sorry for being so blunt but the poor me attitudes about hours being cut are getting out of control. 95% of team members in my store who want 30 plus hours are still able to hit that mark this time of year by working in different work centers and picking shifts off the board. The ones who aren't flexible and have very limited availability are the ones who are losing the most hours because they don't want to be here when the business requires.

Target (same as all successful retail organizations) is in business to make a profit not to provide for team members. They do not have employee's financial well being in mind even one quarter of the year and honestly they shouldn't. When the needs of the business dictate, more hours are scheduled and the hours drop when sales drop. The company that schedules to the needs of its employees and not the needs of the business is a company that will not last long.

No one at Target forces any team member to sell on EBay. The sense of entitlement that every team member who is hired part time should be guaranteed as many hours as they need to get by is insane to me. No one is promised hours or a certain income level, if that doesn't work for them, maybe they need to look elsewhere outside of retail for jobs.

Sorry for being so blunt but the poor me attitudes about hours being cut are getting out of control. 95% of team members in my store who want 30 plus hours are still able to hit that mark this time of year by working in different work centers and picking shifts off the board. The ones who aren't flexible and have very limited availability are the ones who are losing the most hours because they don't want to be here when the business requires.

Funny, it seems the most successful Retailers these days, are the ones that do.... I am glad to give you a list

Oh @NRVstrike... you keep making this harder on yourself...

1.) I don't think there is a "faction" of TMs here trying to intimidate your "grass-roots organization" or "scaring people into silence." I think the majority here are basing their rebuttals on experience, and a sometimes harsh but realistic look at what trade-offs are necessary in a modern economy.

2.) The push-back you're experiencing is because no amount of passion (or vitriol) will change minds if your goals are underdeveloped. (...well that, and some of your phrasing rubs people the wrong way... like when you start throwing around the word "slavery" unnecessarily.)

3.) I would suggest running your newsletter through another editing cycle or two. For a monthly publication, there's plenty of time for cleaning things up. (typos, authors with different fonts, graphs with unlabeled axes, etc.)

4.) Try to take a step back and reconsider some of the feedback you've received. @SrTLall made some great points - you have taken this beyond "coworkers talking about economic issues" and this really isn't the appropriate platform. Should your newsletter be a "Target" newsletter? Much less a "Target Store #xxxx" newsletter?

1.) he is referring to the members of his store where we have been vocal against his crusade. We dont want him here. We dont want his organization. I have talked to many of the team members and none have said they support him.

2.) its also because his methods were unethical and deceitful. the first TM in the "newsletter" didnt know what was going to be in it and was horrified and embarrassed afterwards. the second tm has been proven via video evidence to be a liar and most likely the whole reason he came to start this crap in the first place

3. having something coherent and not inflammatory scary sounding things, and actually anything to do with the location would be awesome. Another team member is working on their own newsletter.

4.) the feedback from his direct co-workers hasn't gotten through I doubt that it will here either. His co-workers have decried the use of "Target Store ####" newsletter as not representing their store. Hell even one of the most bubbly great personality person yelled at him for it. She apologized for raising her voice but not the message of the yelling.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Any retail company is in business to make a profit not to provide for team members. This is the crux of the problem. Capitalism can't do both and any other -ism is incapable. If you doubt me look at Venezuela. Human nature which is me first will always ruin it.

Yes we need certain things. However, we are the arbitors of our own fate and sometimes we make poor choices. Sometimes poor choices are forced on us. Such is life.

Any retail company is in business to make a profit not to provide for team members. This is the crux of the problem. Capitalism can't do both and any other -ism is incapable. If you doubt me look at Venezuela. Human nature which is me first will always ruin it.

Yes we need certain things. However, we are the arbitors of our own fate and sometimes we make poor choices. Sometimes poor choices are forced on us. Such is life.

There are companies that thrive on their Employee well-being. Wegman's (A Grocery Chain, which faces infinitely more loss challenges than we do with our simple Pfresh) Is looked at as the #1 Grocery chain in the country, in terms of Growth, Employee well-being, as well as Customer (Guest) Satisfaction. I would leave in a heartbeat to work there. Unfortunately all I ever see is part time positions as No One ever leaves and they almost exclusively promote from within.

Funny, it seems the most successful Retailers these days, are the ones that do.... I am glad to give you a list

Show me a list of any business that provides for employees over making a profit then, that's not how it works. Say you owned a business that made $100/week in profit but your employee needed $200/week to live. Would you just pay them $200 so they are happy while you are going $100/week into debt?

There are companies that thrive on their Employee well-being. Wegman's (A Grocery Chain, which faces infinitely more loss challenges than we do with our simple Pfresh) Is looked at as the #1 Grocery chain in the country, in terms of Growth, Employee well-being, as well as Customer (Guest) Satisfaction. I would leave in a heartbeat to work there. Unfortunately all I ever see is part time positions as No One ever leaves and they almost exclusively promote from within.
So your saying your Wegmans example has a limited amount of full time positions and doesn't just hire and schedule everybody who wants to work there for as many hours as they need? That proves my point more than yours. Payroll is a controllable expense that EVERY retail business has to have tight control of to be successful.

Show me a list of any business that provides for employees over making a profit then, that's not how it works. Say you owned a business that made $100/week in profit but your employee needed $200/week to live. Would you just pay them $200 so they are happy while you are going $100/week into debt?

No their jobs are posted as part-time, and are strictly that. Their full time employees are full-time all the time.

Having applied myself (but only part time available), and having friends who work for them.

Their #1 advertising campaign is how they are a top 100 company in the country, to work for. I can tell you, that they aren't saying that, just to hire people.

And their growth and sales show that their Guests respect that.

This post, is the one of the reasons, I would support a high level Target unionization. To make their employees resort to Arts and Crafts on Ebay, in order to live a decent life, or a Second job, that will only probably hurt their hours in the long run, is something I truly dislike about this company. They should have their employees financial well being in mind all 4 Quarters, not just one or two. It would make every employee more productive if all they had to worry about was "making the sale", not how to pay rent, or even how to eat.

I am lucky enough to average about 40 hours throughout the year, but it brings me down and makes me feel guilty, hearing from other TM's hours are cut to 20, and they vent to me about how the company expects them to live on that (The TM's I know do a decent job).
Everyone knows hours are cut after new years. Its no secret. Happens every year in retail. You have to have as plan. It no different than going on strike with a union. You can't live on strike pay. Plan you life. It does suck but even union Jobs lay off people during slow times and bring them back jen business picks up.

Everyone knows hours are cut after new years. Its no secret. Happens every year in retail. You have to have as plan. It no different than going on strike with a union. You can't live on strike pay. Plan you life. It does suck but even union Jobs lay off people during slow times and bring them back jen business picks up.

If you are with a decent union, you are supported by the union when you go on strike.

If you are with a decent union, you are supported by the union when you go on strike.

Strike pay is nothing as I said. I can't speak to all unions but the UAW doest pay much . You do get strike pay but it not enough to feed yourself. If striking workers are banking on strike pay, they will starve.

Strike pay is nothing as I said. I can't speak to all unions but the UAW doest pay much . You do get strike pay but it not enough to feed yourself. If striking workers are banking on strike pay, they will starve.

If a Major Union actually tried to take down Target, I think you would see them match it, as it would be a serious move on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back