How are y’all’s stores?

We had 3 weeks of hrs being cut. 1 week of working schedule no cuts. Now I hear we are hundreds of hrs over already. HOW????
That scenario sounds like it crosses over two months.

Your store consistently overschedules at the beginning of each month. Halfway through March, you guys had to cut hours for a few weeks. Then April came and you didn’t need to cut hours because it was a new month. The problem is that the store overspent again for April, so now you need to start cutting again.

Lots of stores do this month after month without learning from their mistakes, which makes it seem like they are always cutting payroll. In reality, they overspent and have to get back to even.

My store has been in these hard places in the past, but seems to be doing pretty well lately even though hours were cut like they always are post-fourth quarter. We have a pretty stable, pretty decent leadership team and I think that makes a huge difference. There's one TM who I think might be a TL but I can't really figure out what he's supposed to be doing. Kind of a jerk so I just try to stay out of his way. He might be one of those who's waiting for a TL spot to open up. Hope he moves to another store if that's the case.
My area doesn't get zoned nearly as well as it should, but I do keep up with new freight, one-for-ones, and price change. Back stock piles up and I still have new signage to put up after getting transitions and end caps set. My area isn't a complete disaster, just partial. Our last scheduled visit was cancelled and I think we were all feeling relieved about it.

Our store actually did this one day over the summer during BTS. We were told we couldn't call for any support, so we didn't. I remember at one point we had over 1000 eaches for OPUs alone, with orders that were 2 hours overdue. That was the day our OPU POT was 29%. Never happened again. 😂
Unfortunately in order for this to really work and drill it into corporate that there's a problem, you gotta be consistent with it, not just do one day. :(

Unfortunately in order for this to really work and drill it into corporate that there's a problem, you gotta be consistent with it, not just do one day. :(

Yeah, and there would have to be a lot of stores doing it so that one or tow stores don't get in trouble for bad POT metrics. It would have to be a mass protest from a bunch of SDs. Won't happen because they are all focused on their individual store metrics.

I had a long conversation about this (sort of) with some of my store's TLs the other day. They were complaining that salesfloor TMs aren't getting their work done so they are getting bitched at by ETLs and the SD. For whatever reason the higher ups never have an issue bitching about TMs when I'm around. I essentially told them that there is no way to know if salesfloor TMs are slacking. I get my work done because there aren't any walkies left when I come in and I push back against any requests for backup. Even then, I stay late most days. It's impossible to tell if any DBOs are a problem right now. Guest services and fulfillment are problems. They need to be fixed so DBOs have the opportunity to do their own work.

it won't happen because guest services and fulfillment know they can always get backup, which creates a huge negative disincentive for them and corporate isn't giving them appropriate hours. And, of course, SDs just see their POT and NPS scores There's no metric for toys being 5 trucks behind.

Corporate came in my store yesterday and told the store leader that they don’t want hardlines to be pushed until all of softline breakout has been taken care of since we’re so far behind in that area.
That does make sense since the margins on clothing are so high.

IMHO this is why stores need to prioritize certain kinds of push.

At my store the rage is OOS whether it is an item needed or not.

Payroll and hours are cut this week, THE WEEK BEFORE EASTER AND ITS BUSY BUT NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE. This shit is definitely to give Management more hours, No way it’s a business issue.

Not bad all things considered.

just annoyed with the constant “desired hours” talk yet hours continue to be cut. It’s contradictory.

All workload is under control but it’s tough to get through it every week due to the lack of hours. Fortunately for us we have a group of veteran leaders that been through a lot and are resilient so we’re moving along.

Have to say it again…Desired hours conversations…incredibly annoying.

Not bad all things considered.

just annoyed with the constant “desired hours” talk yet hours continue to be cut. It’s contradictory.

All workload is under control but it’s tough to get through it every week due to the lack of hours. Fortunately for us we have a group of veteran leaders that been through a lot and are resilient so we’re moving along.

Have to say it again…Desired hours conversations…incredibly annoying.

Desired hours at my store, at least for me and other veterans: We're going to schedule for 25 because that's what we have to give, you can extend however long you want.

That does make sense since the margins on clothing are so high.

IMHO this is why stores need to prioritize certain kinds of push.

At my store the rage is OOS whether it is an item needed or not.
Here too. We are to stop push every hour and go do 1F1 regardless of the number. I stopped when I realized that meant 6 to 10 pm shift had nothing to do all night but "zone" . Same pay. Lol. Or I ll just take that no sweat shift.

I had a long conversation about this (sort of) with some of my store's TLs the other day. They were complaining that salesfloor TMs aren't getting their work done so they are getting bitched at by ETLs and the SD. For whatever reason the higher ups never have an issue bitching about TMs when I'm around. I essentially told them that there is no way to know if salesfloor TMs are slacking. I get my work done because there aren't any walkies left when I come in and I push back against any requests for backup. Even then, I stay late most days. It's impossible to tell if any DBOs are a problem right now. Guest services and fulfillment are problems. They need to be fixed so DBOs have the opportunity to do their own work.
A good ETL/SD would know the issues in the store, and why things are not being completed. Also, a good ETL/SD would help come up with solutions when the store is in trouble. The blame game doesn't help the floor get zoned, or freight worked out, but strategy and solutions will get those things done.

A good ETL/SD would know the issues in the store, and why things are not being completed. Also, a good ETL/SD would help come up with solutions when the store is in trouble. The blame game doesn't help the floor get zoned, or freight worked out, but strategy and solutions will get those things done.
Preety much i see the issue as flex isn't being properly staffed nor is front end. Sure once or twice a shift if you need to draft from the sales floor to the checklanes for 5-15 minutes.. sure... but its hitting a point where you can get stuck in flex for 2 hours. And then your tl is like why can't you get freight done or zone or execute my plan i letft. "Yea sorry they drafted me to flex for 4 hours or yea they called me to back up the checklanes x times for a total of y hours. "

The strategy to fix those two departments can't be rob from gm /specialty.

Corporate has been in our store daily since last Wednesday. They have canceled the last 5 trucks so that we can get the backroom cleaned up. They're also asking the team members alot of questions about management. In the last two weeks, 2 team leads, 2 etl's, and 10 team members have quit. The grocery etl walked out without prior notice last Wednesday. It's crazy.

My ETL approached me today to casually talk for a bit and vent. He’s been having a rough time. He mentioned he is considering an LOA. We canceled a truck today. SD is on vacation till no one knows when. Inbound TL called out too. I told him just do what’s best for you man. There’s no shame in taking an LOA. The bullshit he’s dealing with is unfair. And he’s one of the leaders that takes his time with TM’s and pushes and unloads trucks on top of his ETL duties.

My ETL approached me today to casually talk for a bit and vent. He’s been having a rough time. He mentioned he is considering an LOA. We canceled a truck today. SD is on vacation till no one knows when. Inbound TL called out too. I told him just do what’s best for you man. There’s no shame in taking an LOA. The bullshit he’s dealing with is unfair. And he’s one of the leaders that takes his time with TM’s and pushes and unloads trucks on top of his ETL duties.
If you have take a LOA because of being overwhelmed at work it's time to quit.

If they deny the the LOA they're screwed in Target's eyes anyway.

I would just be like my former ETL and go somewhere else that isn't retail and quit.

Last edited:
Back