How do you act as a guest in other stores?

Just like most other people here... I silently judge their store and compare it to mine lol. I mostly just zone involuntarily if I'm over in softlines. I was checking out the mens tables once and I actually pulled out the folding board that's built into them and started folding the clothes as I put them back. It wasn't until a softlines team member from their store was staring at me dumbfounded that I realized what I was doing, she thought it was funny haha.

But typically I don't announce that I work at target or anything, I'll just present my discount card and if the cashier asks about my employment I'll tell them.

***We actually had one guest come in and she slammed an expired sign down on the service desk and demanded the sale price, along with the sale price of the second expired sign hidden behind it. She wanted both because they were both up (even though the second one wasn't visible at all..) She literally brought the whole sign-holder up. I let her know that in the future she could just ask a team member on the floor about it or let the team member up front know, rather than taking apart store fixtures. She informed me, very pompously, that she has been a "top performing cashier at a super target, TXXX, for my entire three months with the company and you should be thanking me for doing your poor store a favor." She then informed me that I should ask my GSTL about handling expired signs, and that somebody so young looking should respect their elder coworkers. Note: she was probably 30.

Oh, how the tables turned how white her face got when I responded with "I actually am the GSTL, and like I said, you can just bring up the price discrepancy with somebody on the sales floor or one of my cashiers; you can pull the sign down if you want, but I wouldn't recommend taking down the whole fixture, because there is regular signing behind the expired As Advertised. This is a four dollar price difference, and as a top performing cashier I'm sure you know that we empower you cashiers to follow best practice and make your own price changes for anything under twenty dollars. But it's really great that you're a top performing cashier! Your peers could really learn from your experience, since your store is red for conversion and cashier speed. I'm assuming you're individual conversion rate is over 3%, though, since you're a top performer?"

Edit: I did have a fun conversation with her GSTL, too. She conveniently called me to brainstorm ideas for Conversion (since we used to have a close partnership) about a week later and I conveniently mentioned her top performing team member. Hint: she apparently had a conversion rate of 0.4% and a speed score of 63%.

Moral of the story: be respectful to other stores wen you're in them

Last edited:
I walk around and judge hardcore. If I don't like something I make sure that the lod knows. But it's always fun when I have to show one if their team members how to do something.

I have seriously wanted to walk into a store with red and khaki on and pretend I was a visitor... Full on walk to random TM and tell them to fix stuff. That would be fun...
I did that last Christmas, so many new team.members that the etls can't keep track. Funny as Hell.

I try to act in a way I would want others to act at my Target. I mention I work for Target when I get my discount out or if I am asked if I need to pay for the reusable bag I say "well I better not be stealing I work here!" other than that I don't mention it.

I went in my red and khaki last week....nobody even batted an eye.

I have been told by my family, "Mom, you do not work here....don't do that."

I walk into my former store and tease my former coworkers by saying "see the shorts I'm wearing? I wear them to work all the time. Cause I can." and then they tell me to GTFO and that I suck. All of this is done with love. I only tease the TMs I miss.

I have seriously wanted to walk into a store with red and khaki on and pretend I was a visitor... Full on walk to random TM and tell them to fix stuff. That would be fun...
I would road-trip In order to do this with you. Walk in with a stupid little iPad and start taking notes as you walk

I would road-trip In order to do this with you. Walk in with a stupid little iPad and start taking notes as you walk

If you're dressed in nice red and khaki, they'll think you're a surprise visitor from the hierarchy. :D

If you're dressed in nice red and khaki, they'll think you're a surprise visitor from the hierarchy. :D

No but seriously this sounds awesome.

Okay so they wear like a red dress shirt and the khakis, right?

What do they all carry and do visitors just go straight to the LOD?

Who all visits other that district, group, and regional?

Oh yeah! The minute they see a stranger dressed nice they assume that haha. I worked at a neighbor store the other week and dressed nice for it, got asked three times by team members if I was from corporate. (As I'm knee-deep in a pool of safety hazards in the fixture room.)

No but seriously this sounds awesome.

Okay so they wear like a red dress shirt and the khakis, right?

What do they all carry and do visitors just go straight to the LOD?

Who all visits other that district, group, and regional?
Haha nice khakis and a red dress shirt, and dress shoes. I'll see them carrying an iPad or leather-cased notepad... And yeah they usually ask for the LOD right away. It's usually district or group. You might get the DTL, DFM, or every once and a while you'll get a business partner.
You sound determined haha ;):p

Haha nice khakis and a red dress shirt, and dress shoes. I'll see them carrying an iPad or leather-cased notepad... And yeah they usually ask for the LOD right away. It's usually district or group. You might get the DTL, DFM, or every once and a while you'll get a business partner.

I'm going to have fun talking about this with one of my coworkers.

What's DFM stand for?

And what do business partners do?

I'm going to have fun talking about this with one of my coworkers.

What's DFM stand for?

And what do business partners do?
District facilities manager! I'm not really sure if that position changed recently or not though. It's like the district manager for SFT's.

Business partners are for specialty areas like HR or AP, so like the APBP might be responsible for AP in 30ish stores. The STL is still the APL or ETL-HR's boss, but the APBP or HRBP are sort of like checkpoints for those leaders

There's just one DTL per district right >.>

is it possible for another DTL to visit a district that isn't theirs

Yup. The district team lead is the store team leaders boss, and they run a small group of stores.

I'm sure it's possible for a DTL to visit another district, and I'm sure it happens, but I can't imagine it would be that common. This is juuuust out of reach from my knowledge of how the higher-up's work, anybody have insight?

This whole thing is going to keep me laughing and surviving through tomorrow.

Especially since we have a visit tomorrow!

I love watching it. I think the only leadership who don't kiss butt to the DTLs are our consumables TL because she runs around doing like 10 things at once and does not have time for that, and the GSTLs/GSAs.

I have pushed the additional assistance button when I'm in long lines at other stores...

It would also make me mad going into other stores and seeing how things were. Our STL liked to be unnecessarily early on transitions and sales planners and she would always say how much out DTL appreciated it... But you go into other stores and it really make a difference. Also, mad me made when you see how dirty/cluttered it is and they got a green on an unannounced visit but we got a yellow and the zone/vibe was mch better.
I've thought about hitting the additional asst. button when I'm in long lines at another store. It's so tempting!

I have pushed the additional assistance button when I'm in long lines at other stores...

It would also make me mad going into other stores and seeing how things were. Our STL liked to be unnecessarily early on transitions and sales planners and she would always say how much out DTL appreciated it... But you go into other stores and it really make a difference. Also, mad me made when you see how dirty/cluttered it is and they got a green on an unannounced visit but we got a yellow and the zone/vibe was mch better.
I've thought about hitting the additional asst. button when I'm in long lines at another store. It's so tempting!

hell, I do it when I'm on my break and I'm not up for waiting in line

Back