Archived How to be deal with rude/offensive/entitled guests when we can't react?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the most infuriating things about Target is how because of our ridiculous guest service focus, we can't ever make a guest upset. My store leadership will give the guest the store to make them happy, and TMs have almost no recourse for dealing with rude and abusive guests. Most guests these days immediately make a scene if they don't get their way knowing that if they complain long enough, an ETL or SrTL will swoop in and tell us to "make it right for the guest" which makes us look stupid. I'm a GSA and am powerless to tell a guest "no" unless it's something absolutely ridiculous. I've broken nearly every policy dozens of times at an LOD's behest. Why even have policy? The worst though is when guests become abusive past what is normal in retail. I had a guest call one of my cashiers a "stupid b**ch" and then run over to me to complain about the cashier's attitude because the cashier just stopped ringing and stared at the guest for a few seconds after being called that. I asked LOD (no GSTL) for advice and LOD said step in for the cashier and ring the guest and give a store coupon for the inconvenience. The cashier was later pulled aside and talked to about guest service and being FFF at all times. Other GSAs and SDTMs have been coached for even taking a tone that sounds annoyed or upset with a guest or not smiling. How the hell are we supposed to stand up for ourselves when leadership doesn't even want us to be human?

Who says you can't react? Sure, don't go batshit crazy and cuss them out. But there's an infinite amount of ways you can politely put someone in their place.

One of the most infuriating things about Target is how because of our ridiculous guest service focus, we can't ever make a guest upset. My store leadership will give the guest the store to make them happy, and TMs have almost no recourse for dealing with rude and abusive guests. Most guests these days immediately make a scene if they don't get their way knowing that if they complain long enough, an ETL or SrTL will swoop in and tell us to "make it right for the guest" which makes us look stupid. I'm a GSA and am powerless to tell a guest "no" unless it's something absolutely ridiculous. I've broken nearly every policy dozens of times at an LOD's behest. Why even have policy? The worst though is when guests become abusive past what is normal in retail. I had a guest call one of my cashiers a "stupid b**ch" and then run over to me to complain about the cashier's attitude because the cashier just stopped ringing and stared at the guest for a few seconds after being called that. I asked LOD (no GSTL) for advice and LOD said step in for the cashier and ring the guest and give a store coupon for the inconvenience. The cashier was later pulled aside and talked to about guest service and being FFF at all times. Other GSAs and SDTMs have been coached for even taking a tone that sounds annoyed or upset with a guest or not smiling. How the hell are we supposed to stand up for ourselves when leadership doesn't even want us to be human?

Sadly with the internet huge we have to keep the guests wanting to keep coming in and shop. Unfortunately its considered job security for the company. We have a lady that is scaming our store for free stuff but we still give it to her because its not considered brand. Ive watched my ETL tell a guest NO and still give it to the guest because it's the "right thing".

Welcome to retail.

Yeah this at the end of the day the thought is even if they are a terrible person we will take their money.

A lot of it Depends on your store leadership though. My old STL who was with the company so many years didn't give a s---. She once told a scammer to leave her store and not to come back but not every leader has those kind of balls

If you are at a store where leadership bends over backwards it's in your best interest not to care anymore. Why should you stress about a rude guest or scammer if no one else does.

If you're fortunate like some of us to have leadership that says f--- that, shut it down. Then adjust accordingly

As a previous manager (a.k.a. the person who goes behind the cashier's back and gives the customer what they want even though the customer is a jerk), understand that, 99% of the time, the manager does NOT want to give the customer everything. 99% of the time, the manager is not "throwing you under the bus." The manager is doing what THEY have to do to keep their own job.

I would NEVER berate an associate for following policy *politely.* I would never berate an associate for asking ME or their direct supervisor to have someone else help a customer because the customer is being abusive. It doesn't make an associate look stupid, because the associate is following the rules, and the associate has no right to violate the rules. Only the GSA or ETL has the "right" to override the rules, that's their job. I might coach (IDK the official Target terms--to me, "coaching" is a conversation that means "here's a better way to do that") the associate to do say things differently--"You can't do that" can change to "I'm not sure--let me ask my manager."

However, it's not OK as an associate to "fight back" with the customer. Simply ask for backup, and keep your mouth shut.

About 3 years ago, I had started my Starbucks shift making a drink for a woman. I remember it being a venti drink...just don't remember which.
About 4 hours later, she comes back with it more than 3/4 empty and said it was cold and she wanted a new drink. I looked at the cup and it was the same exact drink she bought hours before... OBVIOUSLY IT'S COLD. I told her because of it being almost empty I couldn't just make her a new one which led her to telling me to get a manager.
My GSTL was close by so I went to go talk to her leaving the guest sitting at Starbucks. The GSTL was told the full story and still told me to make her a new drink. She made a comment that Target signs my paychecks and therefore I had to do the right thing and told me to "vibe" (clearly a while ago) which had me livid.
I walked back and this woman was standing at the end of the bar with a smirk on her face as if she knew I lost the battle before it even began. I made her drink, wished her a good day, and I got back,"Oh, I will now, but you sure won't!"

Even years ago, Target was giving the guest what they wanted, and it has only gotten worse. I'm 5 years in and have seen things spiral out of control for reasons I don't understand. I know keeping the guest happy is important but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I just stand there, smile, and silently wish them all to hell as they walk away :)

Just say "Sorry im new here, let me get someone who can better assist you." That's what I tell my TMs to say.

"Are you through?" has shut down angry guests for me. "As soon as you're through I'll see what I can do". Make it clear that nothing goes forward until the behavior improves. Life is too short. Also a reminder that everything is being videoed and recorded "You might want to smile for the camera" does wonders.

It's like enabling a child's poor behavior, if you teach them they can act that way and get rewarded for it then the behavior has been positively reinforced and is likely to continue and escalate.
Amen!! I say this all the time. Target just reinforces bad behavior.

Any guest who starts cursing at an employee needs to be asked to leave the store. I've had AP remove a few guests who cross the line into harassing behavior/language.

Same at my store. Any guests who harrass (especially sexually harass) our store's TMs get warned. If they don't change their behavior, they are booted from our store and not allowed to return.

Who says you can't react? Sure, don't go batshit crazy and cuss them out. But there's an infinite amount of ways you can politely put someone in their place.
I had a “guest” at sbux , who wanted a snowman cake pop, I told her we were sold out. She said “oh I am confused do you sell them or you dont” I reiterated my point to which she said it was very confusing and rolled her eyes. I told her “ miss we do sell them, and we sold them till earlier until we ran out” she didn’t like my response but that was the only response I could give her. I couldn’t pull a cake pop out of my A**. Well , maybe a chocolate one, but certainly not a snowman pop.

I have a method that works for me because I'm over six feet tall, furry, over 250, and built like a gorilla so I don't necessarily recommend it to everyone.
I call it Aggressive Politeness.
When someone starts pulling that kind of obnoxious crap I promptly up the volume of my voice, step into their personal space, and start agreeing with them 100%.
"Sure, I will do everything I can to fix that for you."
"You are absolutely right and we are totally wrong."
"Nothing would make me happier then to make this work for for you."
I smile like I am going to cut up their children and feed them to polar bears in the middle of the night while making it clear that I am there to help them.
You would be surprised how quick people decide that they really don't want to be any trouble.

In other words; people are extremely shitty.

In the end, I don't care if I get talked to by my leaders, I will stand up for myself. Just listen to their spiel, and then you have the choice; fight or flight. I think a middle ground is good to be found. I'll treat anyone the way they treat me, whether Spot likes it or not. I may have a bit of hubris but I definitely won't stand by idly while I'm personally being insulted or taken advantage of.

But, obviously I have to have restraint, so like what Commie said, aggressive politeness is what I do.

For $12 an hour, I don't (didn't) get paid enough to deal with BS. Once the first swear word came out, I flipped on my light and hit my call-for-help button. Same goes for any ignorant person who wants to get into a debate about bathroom policy. I literally said, "This is a situation for a manager," and just turned my back to them until one arrived. Easy peasy.

Then GSTL, AP, or LOD showed up and asked me, "Hello. How can I help you?" My response, "This guest insists on using profanity (or wants to discuss the bathroom policy). I need you to take over." Done.

Same goes for Guest Service. I'm not the manager, so I am not dealing with that crap.

LMAO the bathroom policy!
Bruh for almost a year straight everyday we would get a FAX from the same person complaining about that shit.... the message was always the same...

And thank god I am a PMT and rarely put myself in position to deal with nonsense. At least guest nonsense.
Like I don't mind just walking away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back