Archived How to become a team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so basically in the short time I've been at target I've become very involved in my store and have gotten promoted very rapidly by the standards in my store. I'm now an electronics team member shortly to become the electronics brand member and I've been approached by both team members, team leads, and etls about becoming a team lead and I was just curious how I would do so. Also I'm a minor if that helps.

I've always wondered, wouldn't awkward situations arise if you became a team lead that young? You couldn't even ring up alcohol!

I've always wondered, wouldn't awkward situations arise if you became a team lead that young? You couldn't even ring up alcohol!
It all depends on maturity level. I've known 16 year olds who are more mature than people twice their age. And alcohol sales varies by state (some states have no age requirement).

I've seen a lot of minors with a lot of potentials. Though ASANTS, my store does not promote minors (CA) to avoid any issues with certain overrides(Alcohol.) We don't even hire minors for any department but the front end, but like I mentioned before ASANTS. You could be super stellar and there is a possibility that the leadership might 'overlook' the fact that you're still a minor.

I was a SF TL at 17. Granted, that was a long time ago :rolleyes:. The biggest issue that I ran into back then was a lack of training. If you're a minor being groomed for TL, you already have the drive and the instincts, so push for good, solid training from an experienced TL in your district.

As a minor, do you have the open availability?

Yeah I'm currently 17 and am already a team trainer my store doesn't sell alcohol or anything else that would be a problem. I'm also open availability wise.

I unfortunately can't see a situation where someone presumably still in high school would be seriously considered for a TL position. Maybe in the pipeline around 18 but only if you show serious promise and have good professional relationships all the way up to your STL and DTL.

One you must be 18 and out of high school. There may be GSAs under 18 though. Its mostly for availability and workplace limitations for minors.
Two you must have a completely open availability.
Three, though its not official policy its highly desired, you either have to be enrolled in college or have a degree. A degree in something relating to retail is preferable but not necessary. Many non-college TLs have been pushed to the side for those with college time.
Cross train in multiple areas.
Inform your STL, ETL-HR, area ETL & TLs your desire.
Willingness to hound guests for Red Cards.

Expect to start at the Front End. FATL, SBTL, or GSA then GSTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back