Archived How to deal with anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to control/deal with anxiety while cashiering. It seems though I've been with target for almost 3 years as sales floor, when forced to back up (I rarely go up bc of the anxiety it causes) I always get very anxious and am always paranoid that customers are going to complain about me, even if I do everything right, I also just think it's too much to remember sometimes and I get flustered and have made mistakes, (accidentally entering in a check as cash, etc.)

Do you have a formal diagnosis of anxiety? You may be able to get an accommodation to be exempt from cashiering, unless they really need you.

But if not, I can't blame you. Cashiering makes me anxious, as well. The thing for me, and it's super hard, is to slow down. I'm always trying to get people through as quickly as possible so they can get on with their day, but it does help if I can force myself to slow down a bit and talk to the customer, ask how they're day is been, comment on the weather, how much I like the frozen pizzas they're buying or whatever. Maybe it's an ADD thing but if I'm talking to the customer I tend to slow down a bit and it's easier to keep an eye on what I'm doing while checking them out.

As a non regular cashier I think it helps to remind yourself of the service you're giving the guest. As a backup cashier you just shortened their wait in line. Take your time, guest appreciate a relaxed cashier.

Just be glad you aren't digging a ditch in Nebraska.

That always puts me at ease...

I have joked with guests when I fumble with things that I normally work on the sales floor, but I'm at least a little better than waiting in line...

my tips are stay light (if you fumble something joke around like another poster said)... GSTMs know the struggle of backing up and then accidentally asking the guest at the checkout line "how can I help you"... just then be like "lol i'm usually at the service desk"

do NOT NOT NOT worry about guest's complaining. as long as you're nice, and don't do anything horrible (punch them), you're fine.

also, do NOT NOT NOT be afraid to take it slow. just tell the guest sorry i'm not usually up here. it's much better to take the extra beat to get it right then mess up.

also as far as entering payment.... every single payment option has a second screen you can back out of or k8 cancel.

my tips are stay light (if you fumble something joke around like another poster said)... GSTMs know the struggle of backing up and then accidentally asking the guest at the checkout line "how can I help you"... just then be like "lol i'm usually at the service desk”
This has happened way to many times for comfort. I very rarely back up now as I usually at the front calling for backup but whenever we get double coverage, which is rare, I help out as a last resort.. the amount of times I went to say that and I didn’t realize until the guest said... “err im here to checkout..”

Very true. It's like wanting to be a tunnel rat but you're skeered of tight places.

Just don't do it.

This has happened way to many times for comfort. I very rarely back up now as I usually at the front calling for backup but whenever we get double coverage, which is rare, I help out as a last resort.. the amount of times I went to say that and I didn’t realize until the guest said... “err im here to checkout..”
I know it’s so awkward for everyone

Honestly, most of the guests have been pretty understanding to me when it comes to messing up/fumbling around/being generally awkward while cashiering - I just try to be (overly, sometimes) friendly with them and not take things so seriously. As long as you're not messing up with money, you're honestly fine, and since guests that are checking out are trying to leave the store, they're likely not going to want to stop and take the time to complain about something so small that you may have messed up on. I'm sure you're doing fine!

Try to find one part of cashiering you like and focus on that. It can be something small and stupid, just to help take the edge off and combat any dread. Maybe figuring out how to group items in bags can be your own personal game of tetris. Maybe you love it when guests ask you genuinely about your day. I love it when someone qualifies for the "spend $20, get a $5 gift card" promotions in the weekly ad and don't know about it. They tend be so appreciative that you were looking out for their interests. Cheering kids up with stickers isn't half bad either. :)

Agree with everyone else that going slowly is your best bet. Since you’re not usually a cashier, your speed score should be irrelevant (not even sure it matters for reg cashiers anyway).

If you’re friendly and trying, guests usually are shockingly forgiving and appreciative.
When I’m tired or in a bad mood, I’m kinda robotic and efficient (short “Hi how are you”, then bag quick and give total and get em out the door). Unsurpisingly, you give what you get; and I get curt and rude/angry guests sometimes then.
When I try to focus on the guest, making eye contact, finding something in common, etc., they react accordingly and will be helping me load up their precarious reusable bags, asking me where they can fill out a survey, etc.

“Vibing” (god I hate that term) actually does make a difference though. Just be yourself, or even better be an overly excited and fun version of yourself lol. Sometimes guests appreciate honesty too though. Just be yourself! Good luck!

I normally joke about not getting let out of the backroom enough. So few guest comments come from good tm its not a worry. They are generally the truly bad tm or clearly have an axe to grind.

Chat about the weather, ask if that yogurt is actually good, etc. At the end of the day nobody but you is worrying.

Do you have a formal diagnosis of anxiety? You may be able to get an accommodation to be exempt from cashiering, unless they really need you.

But if not, I can't blame you. Cashiering makes me anxious, as well. The thing for me, and it's super hard, is to slow down. I'm always trying to get people through as quickly as possible so they can get on with their day, but it does help if I can force myself to slow down a bit and talk to the customer, ask how they're day is been, comment on the weather, how much I like the frozen pizzas they're buying or whatever. Maybe it's an ADD thing but if I'm talking to the customer I tend to slow down a bit and it's easier to keep an eye on what I'm doing while checking them out.

This is mine, I was actually most anxious of accidently taking a guests cash and putting it in my pocket by accident out of habit, just trying to go to fast, not realizing LOL!. I would have instantly realized what I did, but would be pretty damn awkward to tell the GTSL/GSA about. I never did, but to this day it still makes me anxious. Especially for call ups when I have 50 other things on my mind and actually cashiering is not even on the list.

This is mine, I was actually most anxious of accidently taking a guests cash and putting it in my pocket by accident out of habit, just trying to go to fast, not realizing LOL!. I would have instantly realized what I did, but would be pretty damn awkward to tell the GTSL/GSA about. I never did, but to this day it still makes me anxious. Especially for call ups when I have 50 other things on my mind and actually cashiering is not even on the list.

Accidentally did this with a guest’s credit card like 2 weeks after I started and it was so scary. Luckily it was fine, but that feeling when I’m looking for this guest’s card then realize that I totally just tossed it in my pocket and how the fuck am I supposed to explain that?? Thought I’d be goneeee lol

Told every GSA and our GSTL that I hate cashiering because of being too self conscious and literally being unable to do it to the standards they want. Multiple times I expressed it in a nice way. I don't mind the job part of cashiering much but I suck at pitching red cards and small talk with strangers. After a few months they finally noticed I wasn't joking and now when additional cashiers are needed I am one of the last to get called up when...of course- no one responds on walkie and pretends we aren't there. Lmao Also lucky that I have crosstrained every chance given so at this point I don't get put in that position much anymore.

Accidentally did this with a guest’s credit card like 2 weeks after I started and it was so scary. Luckily it was fine, but that feeling when I’m looking for this guest’s card then realize that I totally just tossed it in my pocket and how the fuck am I supposed to explain that?? Thought I’d be goneeee lol
Why st any point are you holding a guests credit card

The first time I show my inexperience, like going slowly or fumbling bagging an item or being unable to open a DVD case, I tell guests that I don't get put on a register often and they are always cool with it. I have a practiced spiel for doing the mandatory red card pitch so it's automatic. Sometimes they have an item that allows for small talk, like pet food, and just chatting about that item helps me relax. I count cash twice, once when I first get it and then again right before I put it in the register and I deliberately count it in such a way that the security camera has a good view of the denominations on the bills and the type of coins. The decision to make it easy for the cameras keeps me focused on putting the money in the right place and taking change out. If anything goes wrong or there's something that I don't feel I can handle, I tell the guest I'm going to get a manager to help and I turn my flashing light on. Having that help available also reduces my anxiety of making a wrong decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back