Archived How to go about telling them I don't want to do something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been at Target for about a year now as an overnight stock team member. I get along with my TL's and ETL, I'm pretty sure they like me, I stay late when asked etc. Anyway, my ETL comes up to me the other day and said they're gonna put me on presentation. It kind of caught me off guard so I just said okay and didn't think much of it.

But I don't want to do Presentation. I did it once or twice when I first started here and hated it. They never put me on it again after November.

So my question is..do you guys think if I tell them I don't want to do it, respectfully and open, they'll listen? They're hiring here and there is no reason they can't put someone else on that shift.

I like what I do, I like my routine and quite frankly I do not like the people who do presentation. Plus I'm not good with all that setting shelves nonsense etc.

What do you guys think? What advice can you give? How should I go about this? I want to talk to my TL and say I don't wanna do it, but I don't wanna make waves. Ugh help

Just tell them you aren't comfortable doing that, and if they still schedule you for it?

Call out.

Explain to your leaders that you were taken off guard, and you really like flow and don't want to do POG. I would leave out the part about not liking that team. Also, if you have already been scheduled for POG, you should probably work it since you said you would, even though you really didn't want to.

Like everyone before me stated, respectively decline. I do warn you that since they are "hiring" and you seem to do flow and from the sound of it, only flow, then your hours will be cut. (Target is a needs based entity and if you are needed, you will not be called upon.) More areas you are crossed trained for means more hours for you/more leverage you have with your scheduling as well. If you want to only do flow, that's cool too, just once again, don't expect a lot.

Like everyone before me stated, respectively decline. I do warn you that since they are "hiring" and you seem to do flow and from the sound of it, only flow, then your hours will be cut. (Target is a needs based entity and if you are needed, you will not be called upon.) More areas you are crossed trained for means more hours for you/more leverage you have with your scheduling as well. If you want to only do flow, that's cool too, just once again, don't expect a lot.

Yeah I only want to do flow. That's what I like. I don't mind my hours being cut a bit, I just didn't know if I could get in trouble for telling them I didn't want to presentation.

It shouldn't cause a problem. As someone else said, tell your leader that as you thought about it more, you were comfortable with where you were at. Sounds like they value the job you do since they wanted to move you plano, the last thing they would want you to be is uncomfortable or unhappy.

Are they moving you to plano rather than possibly just being scheduled for it for a new set to be pushed out? I know my store has put flow members under a different workcenter to help push big sets etc.
Otherwise, previous advice everyone else has given seems good.

Are they moving you to plano rather than possibly just being scheduled for it for a new set to be pushed out? I know my store has put flow members under a different workcenter to help push big sets etc.
Otherwise, previous advice everyone else has given seems good.

It really wasn't made clear to me but it sounded like they were switching me. I could be wrong since I did help set Christmas last year. But that doesn't start until November and in my store, Halloween is already set so..I don't know. Either way, I just got off and my ETL who had mentioned it wasn't there tonight(or last night however you look at it) so I spoke to one of my TL's and told him everything and he said he would email the ETL today before he starts the new schedule. And just to be safe I told my other TL to remind the one TL who's gonna email the ETL. so we'll see what happens.

Also mention that you did work presentation before and that you and the leadership at that time came to the conclusion that it wasn't a good fit for either you or the store.

Be honest and up front, leadership cannot read minds. They probably think they are doing you a favor, if you dont do it I dont think they will have a hard time finding someone who can.

Find out if they're transferring you to the team permanently or if you're just being scheduled to assist for the season.

I'm on POG and during this time of year we have a couple FLOW folks scheduled to do push for us. It's a lot of setting and we don't have the hours or team to set and push ourselves. Just clarify with the ETL. You might not be leaving FLOW, and it might only be a temporary thing.

Sorry, saw @ISMike said something similar already.

im having this issue as of late as well. go to your TL and ask them. they may know more. but dont be shocked when they DONT. lol but the TL can at least tell you the right way to address the issue. and likely they themselves jump infront of that bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back