Archived Hows your backroom/truck team doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to give you all a bit of a background behind my store, it's gone pretty downhill. In the last year we were one of the highest stores in our district, got out of our trucks in our appropriate expected time, finished our hourly CAF into the half hour of each hour, etc.

But, now ever since holidays hit us, we lost more than half of our team. Our truck unloads usually take up majority of the unloader's shifts, which is just about 4 hours. Once we weren't even able to push out our truck items onto the floor!

Don't even get me started on backroom, it's gone all bad. Our CAF hours reach to about 12 hours daily, I don't even remember the last time we haven't rolled over. We've reached MyFA at a whopping 300+ orders at once. Our Ship From Store team once had to ship out 14 pallets worth of orders, along with about 2 cages of softline orders and a flatbed of furniture orders. Location Checks have gone through the roof, believe me or not, but we average about 20 location checks each hour, there was a team member who needed two whole pallets of Steralite containers and asked for more a few hours later!

It's gone to the point where i've yelled at sales floor team members over the walkie who are impatient when I tell them to standby for a location check, I've even yelled at a Salesfloor Team Lead for attempting to coach us for not finishing CAF on time, like, how does she expect us to finish a CAF hour ranging from 3-12 hours within one hour, along with half a stockroom filled with backstock?

You can't believe the relationship backroom has with Guest Service right now. We have to constantly tell them over the walkie to hold on for their MyFA/Curbside orders, and they decide to yell at us over the walkie for having it roll over, like, we're so sorry that we roll over when theres at most 2 team members upstairs dealing with all the other stuff.

It's absolutely hectic in my store right now, we've cut hours as well, which makes it so stressful to work at.

We've reached MyFA at a whopping 300+ orders at once. Our Ship From Store team once had to ship out 14 pallets worth of orders, along with about 2 cages of softline orders and a flatbed of furniture orders.

That sounds like a lot more than 300 orders at once. We averaged about 8-9 pallets of boxes with our 900 order cap at the end of the day with one or two flat of SIO items as well as 3-4 repack boxes of polymailers.

That sounds like a lot more than 300 orders at once. We averaged about 8-9 pallets of boxes with our 900 order cap at the end of the day with one or two flat of SIO items as well as 3-4 repack boxes of polymailers.

It was hectic! The moment I clocked in and went upstairs, nobody was upstairs, I wondered why and checked MyFA and we had 300 orders... it was so bad that ALL of our etls working that day had to help us out on the orders

I came close to killing a gstm bitching about curbside but I stopped myself lol

I'm super glad that my store doesn't do curbside. Our store simply wouldn't work for it. I can't go into too much detail because my store might be unique, but suffice to say that having curbside wouldn't be possible.

I know this might be a case of ASANTS, but our logistics (flow and backroom) process is also a complete disaster.:( Our store was one of the best at executing the process, heck we were the store leaders got trained or retrained at, no matter the distance they had to travel, because it was simply the best, but now its a shell of what it used to be, its so sad.

I don't really know where the lack of focus came, but for us, I think that it might be our newish DTL, or possibly higher up. The DTL doesn't walk into the backroom on visit, he just asks how everything is going. We were surprised during the holiday when he actually came in and looked at the toy aisles, but that was it, and had to ask where they were located as he didn't want to be bothered looking down another aisle.

The lack of any care/focus in the logistics process is starting to hurt the entire store, the flow team is only scheduled 4 to 5 hours and they spend most of the shift unloading the trailer, then using the rest to push what they are able, and this leaves the sales floor a complete mess. I loathe this "staggered scheduling" that we are doing, yes we got it spot, lets use flow tm to do the work of sales floor tms in the early morning so you can save payroll. Our guests would prefer are not walking through a store to shop with cartons on the floor, trust me, guests are constantly reminding us of this on the surveys, they would sacrifice the entire "CIHYFS" being shoved down their throat first thing in the morning, if that meant they could shop in a clutter free store. The staggered scheduling means that backstock comes back whenever or if it even comes back at all, because its not going pushed, and with a reduced backroom team, there is always so much back stock clogging up the backroom. Oh yeah, if they could focus on the backstock, with out having to do all the FF, heck even with the SFS team helping, it still slows down the entire process. Lets not forget the massive amount of transition product coming it now, so now the planogram team is hurt because, either we can't help by pulling your batch or yes its on that pallet not located, so there goes that concept of having a full floor for the guests to shop. Now, lets move onto the CAFs, of course their huge, and it takes time to pull them, especially when you have 3 stockrooms, not including the coolers/freezers where they will be located. So if it takes the 2 pullers an entire hour to pull the batches, if they don't roll, which means that no they don't have the time to push them. Okay, its time to hurt the salesfloor, so instead of zoning they have to push the batches, because they are out of control, while trying to zone and respond to backup, because there aren't enough cashiers scheduled for the night. Try and set up a line, how, with all the tubs of push left? Its okay, the flow team can push them with the truck in the morning, if they could unload it on time.

It ends up being a vicious cycle that eventually leads to a breakdown. Every team ends up finger pointing, at another team for not getting the work accomplished because they had to help another team finish their workload. Instead of building a team, these process are breaking the entire store down.

I do genuinely appreciate teams when they help us out, with our process, because they barely have the people let alone the equipment to help. But its just putting a band aid on a gushing wound...we need to fix the root of the problems.

In a nutshell: Hey spot stop trying to upsell a bunch of Walmart practice. Quality, great service and chicness, that's why our guests shop at your stores and pay more to do so!
So can we get back to what made us a status symbol?

Our logistics used to be an absolute mess. Trucks were not getting finished and the backroom was piling up. Our problem was the push all process. It just was not working. One of the first things our new ETL-LOG did was get us back to black line. Since then, we finish every truck and come clean in the backroom.

Attachments

• tmp_29689-backroom-1653834461.jpg
    tmp_29689-backroom-1653834461.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 105
We are so close to fubar status I'm reconsidering. I have tms who refuse to learn to read pick labels, tms who will only work scheduled hours (not can-will), and the usual all-stars attracted to employers who don't drug test. Throw in English as second language tms, inexperienced management, and finally low pay. It's approaching 'not worth it'. :cool:

We finally came clean in our backroom this week thanks to a lot of people working longer shifts to come clean. However, we are now going back to a push all. We have tried this 3 times and failed miserably each time. Other stores seem to manage and I hope we get it together, but I have my doubts. I see a shit show in the very near future.

I think if this question was asked to the ones in charge of it all..."Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right"? The answer unequivocally would be FAST. Our flow is constantly yelled at while pushing truck...."5 mins left. Get it done now!" At that point stuff is put anywhere. The store looks like hell. Nothing is in the right place. Things are capped to top on shelves in hardlines. I bring this to the attention of the boss. Nothing is done. When did they all stop caring? I am embarrassed at how horrible our store looks now. Pallets on the floor at 2 in the afternoon, boxes bowled out everywhere. I really wish more guests would complain. I am constantly apologizing.

I literally couldn't agree more with the sentiments in this thread. Also, it should be noted that the logic of "Flow says Hello!" is faulty to begin with. About 90% of the flow team members I've encountered would never utter a single word to a guest let alone provide amazing service with a smile to boot.

friends romans country man lend me your ears: we have a new EVP CSO Ms Potts. it is only going to get worse much much worse. as all the Kool-aid drinking STLs, ETLS and etc try to impress the new queen of the hill with their awesome numbers of awesomeness. and yes we all know what that means. hours get slashed and everything must be done faster so we can save on labor costs so the "Store" can look good.

we are going to be entering into a new era of faking it to make it look good for the metrics.

bitter I am but wrong I am not

Cleared off the rear seasonal flat so I could set signs tomorrow. They pushed the untouched truck push, price change, salesplanner, etc. It's now fucking full of vehicles. If it's still there in the morning I'm tempted to tweet pics to the dtl who visited this morning while it was almost empty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back