I’m clocked out

I’m clocked out for hours. Come back in to grocery shopping. A self checkout tm tries to ask me a question. I respond I’m not working. They get all mad.. working off the clock is a no no.. sorry not sorry..
I hope you did not have your name tag on when you were shopping.

It is petty that you didn't question for a TM because you were "off the clock".
If it was a question about work it was not petty. If they asked "where would I find 'xyz'?" it may have been. Working off the clock is working off the clock and can get you fired.

Last edited:
I have responded to simple questions while clocked out, what annoys me more is the customers who get pissy when you tell them you are on lunch, when they want some detailed explanation on something.

Sadly, at my store cand has gotten people fired in the recent past.... so, yeah, I don't disagree. Not with this current batch of "leadership" running these stores...

For me it would depend on what the question was and who was asking. I have several team members that I’m really friendly with and wouldn’t hesitate to help them out if I could. If spot is going to fire me or anyone for answering a simple question, it probably means they were looking for a reason to fire me.

This thread is just silly. Nothing wrong with answering a simple question. That's not working off the clock.
I have to agree. It takes zero of your time to be a good person to just answer a simple question. Now if they want you to do something then just direct them to someone that can help. You wouldn't want someone to respond to you the way you did to them right???

I have to agree. It takes zero of your time to be a good person to just answer a simple question. Now if they want you to do something then just direct them to someone that can help. You wouldn't want someone to respond to you the way you did to them right???
With many people, if you answer a simple question and then when they ask the follow up question tell them more complex stuff needs to be handled by someone else, their reaction is going to be a lot worse than if you didn't answer the initial question. So it can take all your break time or end up with a guest complaint.

With many people, if you answer a simple question and then when they ask the follow up question tell them more complex stuff needs to be handled by someone else, their reaction is going to be a lot worse than if you didn't answer the initial question. So it can take all your break time or end up with a guest complaint.
This is what you need to and if you have any questions ask ABC I don't think that's rude and implies an effort to help. Saying " I'm off the clock" is rude

This is what you need to and if you have any questions ask ABC I don't think that's rude and implies an effort to help. Saying " I'm off the clock" is rude
"I'm sorry, I'm clocked out and cannot work, but GS can assist you" is not rude.

The op just said "I'm clocked out" offered nothing you mention. Again, it cost $0 to be a decent human being
How much do you earn per hour? Divided by length of break, how much should you have been compensated when you are actually working for free?

Back