Archived I called out on Christmas Eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your STL was there you had an obviously awesome STL. Ours? Hah, she didn't step foot in the store on Christmas Eve.

Nor did any ETL's.

Only one Sr. TL there all night as well.

From 6:30-10:00 we had 1 TL, the LOD/Sr. TL, and a bunch of TM's, anyone else high up the hierarchy took the day off or left early.
Honestly staying open until 10pm on Christmas Eve was ridiculous. Everything else was closed by 6. I don't blame anyone for calling out on that night. Family is greater than Target. I think most of us gave up plenty of family events so we could work at Spot through the holiday season starting with the assinine Thanksgiving hours. The people who did call in made a judgement call for themselves. So if the lines were longer and service wasn't as good so be it. If you wait until 7pm on Christmas eve to buy presents the service you receive will be the service you deserve. I hope those of you that did call out had a wonderful time with your families, I really do. And if any leadership made their teams stay past 10 pm to zone the store they are flat out assholes.
It's really ridiculous! I was lucky enough not to work for the holidays but I know that Target as well as Kmart follow Walmart's hours and schedules. So anything Walmart does Target will do! It's a competition. Walmart is open all day christmas or christmas eve so will Target.

If your STL was there you had an obviously awesome STL. Ours? Hah, she didn't step foot in the store on Christmas Eve.
Nor did any ETL's.
Only one Sr. TL there all night as well.
From 6:30-10:00 we had 1 TL, the LOD/Sr. TL, and a bunch of TM's, anyone else high up the hierarchy took the day off or left early.
Same thing happened at my store!

My STL was there in the morning, left about noon or so.

Our ETL-GE, who was mid-LOD, asked me for help with the trash... she's about my age, but a really girly-girl so she was (a) afriad of falling into the compactor, and (b) didn't want to handle yucky trash :rolleyes:

She actually gave me recognition over the walkie for it:D

Yes working the holiday sucks and target is exploitive of their workforce. But you know what rubs me the wrong way about the OP? The smarmy, holier than thou tone and implication that those of us who worked that day were prioritizing target above our families.

That's just wrong and offensive. And if you expect a medal for "sticking it to the man" (by foisting off more work onto your coworkers,) you're just not going to get it. Sorry.

Because Family > Target.

First time in my two-year Target career. Scheduled as cashier 3:30-10:30; found no one who could cover me.

The lines may be a little longer with one less cashier, but frankly I have no sympathy for those procrastinators who waited until today to shop.

Nothing personal against my fellow TMs. Sometimes in life you have to have an asshole moment for yourself.

I worked on Christmas Eve.

Because Target>Family.

First time in my one-year Target career. Scheduled in hardlines 10:00-6:00; there were many CAFs that needed pushing.

The service may be a little better with one more HLTM, and frankly I know people are usually grabbing something quick before they go to meet relatives.

Nothing personal against my fellow TMs. Sometimes in life you gotta take one for the team.

(plus I got an extra 0.50 for one hour, and my lunch break lined up perfect with this one cute cashier :cool:)

You work in retail. If you've been here for two years, you should know the realities by now; yes, people procrastinate (we had someone looking for a tree on christmas eve), and the 24th is not technically a holiday. I don't think anyone *hates* you for what you did, but you may not find as much support as you're looking for. My aunt and my brother both have to work Christmas Day, and neither of them work for Spot (or its direct competition).

Last edited:
If you don't like the hours, change your availability or find another job.

"Because Family > Target." Really? Doesn't your job at Target help to feed your "Family?"

Your skipping work just means the other TMs have to make up for your bullshit. Good job!!!
lol just because people call out mean other people need to work harder. especially a cashier. you're not doing any more work than you normally would unless youre ringing two people up as once

I've had people who called out & bailed on me for pissant reasons & I've had one who told me he was sorry but couldn't come in because he was falling apart over a personal crisis.
Him I would gladly stay later for; the others I would've happily left hanging but I'm not that type.
Let each set their own priorities & let the Big Guy sort it out in the end.

i will not retaliate against any of my TMs as i do not believe in that and will schedule them as normal. however, they bailed on me during some of the busiest times so the next time anybody who bailed on me needs anything... well, they may just need to wait a little while longer, and by a little while, i mean a long a$$ time. for anything.

You asked for the negative feedback by starting the thread. WHY even share that you called in, unless you wanted to start something??

This.

Here's two scenarios:

1.) I call off Dec 24th, I come in Dec 26th, act as if nothing happened.

2.) I call off Dec 24th. I come in Dec 26th and brag to all my coworkers that I called off and wasn't really sick, and then wonder why those who showed up aren't as enthusiastic about it as I am.

Guess which one is closer to what the OP did?

You guys need to stop acting like you're saints that never needed a personal day off

Uhh, what?

The last two posts didn't bash him for calling off.

They pointed out that the thread was trollbait, and that the only reason to make such a thread is to try and elicit negative responses.

You guys need to stop acting like you're saints that never needed a personal day off

Been here over a year, never called out (yet).

OP seemed to make it fairly clear that he wasn't calling out for a personal day, just called out because he didn't WANT to work. Well, neither did I, but I came in anyway.

I will admit that I have called out once before because I didn't want to come into work and was being very selfish, but I felt very bad about doing so and realized I shorted my team for no good reason. Haven't done so since.

OP seemed to make it fairly clear that he wasn't calling out for a personal day, just called out because he didn't WANT to work. Well, neither did I, but I came in anyway.
No, OP said he called out to spend time with family because he couldn't fine someone to take his shift.

The people who pledge their lives to target are usually the ones still working the 15 years later at the TM level. Your life doesn't revolve around them

My store didn't even ask around to see who would be willing to work so others could have the night off. I worked early morning so it didn't really bother me much getting off early, but they could have took volunteers for those late shifts. You don't get enough volunteers then pick the rest based on availability. Not even trying to work with people is the biggest problem I have.

No, OP said he called out to spend time with family because he couldn't fine someone to take his shift.

The people who pledge their lives to target are usually the ones still working the 15 years later at the TM level. Your life doesn't revolve around them
My life doesn't revolve around Target and I have been with Spot for well over 15 years.....so that doesn't apply to everyone ....and I sure as hell haven't pledged my life to Spot.

Last edited:
My store didn't even ask around to see who would be willing to work so others could have the night off. I worked early morning so it didn't really bother me much getting off early, but they could have took volunteers for those late shifts. You don't get enough volunteers then pick the rest based on availability. Not even trying to work with people is the biggest problem I have.

This is what they should do. Everyone's life is different (sometimes year to year or day vs. evening) - for those who don't celebrate, working Christmas Eve is like working any other day. For some others, working Christmas Eve is an inconvenience but not a huge deal. For others, it's missing a major family holiday. Fill the schedule with the first group, supplement with the second and if the store still needs people, only then should they move on to the third group.

Honestly, there's a whole segment of our store who probably want to be gone from the store on NYE by 5pm so they can get ready for the night. I could care less and would have closed in a heartbeat - but no one asked. I'm sure I'll end up switching with someone, but the fact is - they should have looked for volunteers and NYE isn't nearly as big an issue as Christmas Eve.

I felt lucky to have opened on Christmas eve in the Cash office. but oy it took me so long to do the job. and I only have 1 hour on register. but our GSTL was super cool and even helped get me off register so I could leave on time. She even early because she was so exhausted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back