I hate my SD's new rules.

ADMIN POLL - Do you believe this story?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TM's don't have to sit through boring BUS meetings. TM's get a free pass to just walk away anytime a Karen asks to speak to a manager. The TM's at my store aren't the ones who are constantly being pressured to stay late past their scheduled time. Don't give me any of this crap about how the TM's have to put up with the same bullshit that we do.
I’ve seen front end team members put up with crap at the front while their ETL and TL’s are hanging out in TSC. Boring business meetings? oh, please. It might not be the same bullshit, but team members have their own bullshit.

Our store barely has any ETL's left right now. They're all leaving en masse because of the party incident a couple of months ago. The district leaders somehow found out about it and apparently decided to start with the ETL's in terms of dishing out punishments.
I know how spot found out... and I'm quoting them right not

I mean one of the front end tms got a CA for being a creep to a couple of front end girls like 1.5 years ago, constantly fucked up drive-ups to the point of being kicked off drive-ups forever, would be a creep to women at self-checkouts and ask how old they are and get guest complaints for being creepy, and he just got promoted to SETL since we had 2 of them quit at the same time so its not entirely unbelievable. I actively warn any woman I train to stay away from him since hes a weirdo

I’m surprised I’m not seeing people saying this, but I don’t take my breaks and meals in the break room out of respect for the TMs. I don’t want them to feel like they need to watch what they say or that they can’t vent to each other while on break, and as a key carrier who is often the only key carrier in the building during my shifts, I also don’t want my walkie being on or me responding to it to be an unwanted distraction to anyone on break. I’ll chit chat with people in there while using the vending machine or if we have food for everyone that day, but not about work because what kind of break is that, talking to a leader about work? Usually my breaks are outside smoking either alone or with the ETL or GSA who smoke too, and my meals when I’m not the only leader are in the office where we do the same thing I know we used to appreciate getting to do when I was a TM, be with my peers and relax and complain about work and vent. I don’t see it as a “we’re better than team members” thing, it’s more like why would we want to impose on the team members using the break room, plus we can also better enjoy our breaks among other leaders so we don’t need to watch our words or be careful not to bitch and moan.

I’m surprised I’m not seeing people saying this, but I don’t take my breaks and meals in the break room out of respect for the TMs. I don’t want them to feel like they need to watch what they say or that they can’t vent to each other while on break, and as a key carrier who is often the only key carrier in the building during my shifts, I also don’t want my walkie being on or me responding to it to be an unwanted distraction to anyone on break. I’ll chit chat with people in there while using the vending machine or if we have food for everyone that day, but not about work because what kind of break is that, talking to a leader about work? Usually my breaks are outside smoking either alone or with the ETL or GSA who smoke too, and my meals when I’m not the only leader are in the office where we do the same thing I know we used to appreciate getting to do when I was a TM, be with my peers and relax and complain about work and vent. I don’t see it as a “we’re better than team members” thing, it’s more like why would we want to impose on the team members using the break room, plus we can also better enjoy our breaks among other leaders so we don’t need to watch our words or be careful not to bitch and moan.
tls can only take their lunches in the break room or outside of the building at my store :)

So who works for who? Because it sounds to me like you’re letting your TM’s control your decision making.

ETLs in my store lunch together in an office and it's typically a "working" lunch. Often they get take out or delivery and they eat in the office as to not shove it in the TMs face.

Most TL eat in an office or go outside. I used to eat in an office during the peak of covid, but more recently I've been going in the break room. The team mostly keeps to themselves and if they want to vent or complain about guests or stupid communication we get, I usually join in.

So who works for who? Because it sounds to me like you’re letting your TM’s control your decision making.
Uhh no it doesn't, it sounds like they are being respectful and mindful of the TM break. Even though the team may not ask for it, it's their perception that then being in there restricts the teams ability to enjoy their break. Also last I checked they don't allow you to smoke in the break room.

Uhh no it doesn't, it sounds like they are being respectful and mindful of the TM break. Even though the team may not ask for it, it's their perception that then being in there restricts the teams ability to enjoy their break. Also last I checked they don't allow you to smoke in the break room.
I’ve never heard any TMs at my store complain about a leader being in or using the break room. I’m making my own decision to let people enjoy their breaks in the break room, and it works out well for me that I’m also able to enjoy my breaks with the other leaders in any of our offices. Besides, our leadership team orders tacos every Wednesday and it wouldn’t be a very good look for us to be enjoying that in the break room. I’m sorry your SD doesn’t let you guys take breaks in your office area and doesn’t let you order food. Get the culture fixed over there and things can be different. How bad have you guys made things over there that you supposedly are prohibited from getting your peers food? That’s verging on not believable; if anyone told me I can’t get my coworker food when we are off the clock for our meal I’d tell them they can pay me for my meal breaks if I’m going to be subject to arbitrary bullshit like that. Hell, sometimes for an 8am shift I’d buy energy drinks for the GM TLs who came in at 4am while I’m buying my breakfast energy drink. Yes, you need to think of yourself as the leader of your team, but at my store we are also a part of the leadership team; we take care of each other and yes there’s some less tangible “benefits”; the team members don’t complain about it because they see us working as hard as we, filling in the gaps, being accountable for everything. Our TMs say “damn, you guys are crazy for letting them make you be team leads, it seems so stressful and there’s so much you have to figure out and make sure it gets done”. Maybe if your whole store thinks TLs are lazy and just chill in the office all day, well maybe your SD is onto something with these ‘rules’.

I started as a team member, and we never actually asked or complained to anyone about it, but depending on who it was or how the day was going, there was always those few leaders who when they entered the break room, the mood tensed you a bit and all of a sudden no one wanted to bitch about work until they left. Or the leader who has their walkie on while in there annoying the shit out of everyone else. Yeah you can tell a fellow team member to turn that shit off but what about the key carrier that needs to be available for an emergency?

Last edited:
ETLs in my store lunch together in an office and it's typically a "working" lunch. Often they get take out or delivery and they eat in the office as to not shove it in the TMs face.

Most TL eat in an office or go outside. I used to eat in an office during the peak of covid, but more recently I've been going in the break room. The team mostly keeps to themselves and if they want to vent or complain about guests or stupid communication we get, I usually join in.
I eat outside amongst the fresh air to avoid covid

As a tm, I thank you! I want time away from leadership. I don't want to hear walkie talk. I do not want to hear work talk. GO AWAY and leave me alone on my break and let me eat my lunch in peace and quiet.

I’ve never heard any TMs at my store complain about a leader being in or using the break room. I’m making my own decision to let people enjoy their breaks in the break room, and it works out well for me that I’m also able to enjoy my breaks with the other leaders in any of our offices. Besides, our leadership team orders tacos every Wednesday and it wouldn’t be a very good look for us to be enjoying that in the break room. I’m sorry your SD doesn’t let you guys take breaks in your office area and doesn’t let you order food. Get the culture fixed over there and things can be different. How bad have you guys made things over there that you supposedly are prohibited from getting your peers food? That’s verging on not believable; if anyone told me I can’t get my coworker food when we are off the clock for our meal I’d tell them they can pay me for my meal breaks if I’m going to be subject to arbitrary bullshit like that. Hell, sometimes for an 8am shift I’d buy energy drinks for the GM TLs who came in at 4am while I’m buying my breakfast energy drink. Yes, you need to think of yourself as the leader of your team, but at my store we are also a part of the leadership team; we take care of each other and yes there’s some less tangible “benefits”; the team members don’t complain about it because they see us working as hard as we, filling in the gaps, being accountable for everything. Our TMs say “damn, you guys are crazy for letting them make you be team leads, it seems so stressful and there’s so much you have to figure out and make sure it gets done”. Maybe if your whole store thinks TLs are lazy and just chill in the office all day, well maybe your SD is onto something with these ‘rules’.

I started as a team member, and we never actually asked or complained to anyone about it, but depending on who it was or how the day was going, there was always those few leaders who when they entered the break room, the mood tensed you a bit and all of a sudden no one wanted to bitch about work until they left. Or the leader who has their walkie on while in there annoying the shit out of everyone else. Yeah you can tell a fellow team member to turn that shit off but what about the key carrier that needs to be available for an emergency?
The leaders at my store order take out food a good bit and eat it in the break room. It doesn’t bother me or any other team members one bit.

I would much rather see you eating tacos in the break room with the team members than in an office. When you eat in an office it gives the impression that you think you are too high and mighty to socialize with the little folks in the break room. If team members want tacos we go and get them we’re not jealous or feel left out when leaders eat them!!

Nothing in this places shocks me anymore so if they got promoted im not surprised. Your perks you lost is because your leadership team sucks and they are just making sure you get off your ass and out of the office. Theres a reason your leadership team quit or fired. They were not good and complacent. Seems like your SD is trying to fix that because its gotten too out of control. Get out and get shit done and maybe you can eat your donuts again some day.

When I was a TM at another retailer, the TMs used to take their breaks in the breakroom every morning. Then the managers started taking their breaks in there at the same time, and the TMs moved their breaks to the restaurant up the mall. None of us felt comfortable talking in the breakroom with the bosses sitting there listening. We already knew they thought they were better than us, sitting in the breakroom eavesdropping and making us uncomfortable didn’t change that perception or reality.

Side note: I really, I mean really, hate when TLs say that TMs work for the TL. NO, we work with each other for Target. A TL's job is to facilitate/teach/coach/help the TMs they work with. They employ no one. They aren't some Grand Poobahs in the Target universe. If this were the Army TMs might be Privates, but TLs would still just be grunt PFCs. They aren't Generals. They aren't even Sargeants. We're all peons to this corporation. When the shit hits the fan and the great Target vs. Walmart World War starts, TLs will be expected to be right there storming the trenches with TMs. You're cannon fodder too. Get over yourselves.

TLs are just slightly bigger ticks on Bullseye's ass than TMs.

Back