Archived Incorrect pay for a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired last September as a sales floor team member. Fairly shortly, I was trained and began working in electronics by my request. I was called out by many of the team leads, etc. as an "Asset" for the Holiday season last year. Anyways, fast forward to today, and I hear people talk about training for electronics since some of our other people have left the position and I'm one of the few still left (I get probably the most electronics hours overall out of anyone)... and they are talking about a pay increase for being in electronics over sales floor. I'm immediately confused because I never got this. Technically, I am a sales floor member, but almost ALL of my shifts for the whole year have been electronics (230pm-11pm for example) besides early on in the beginning and the occasional 4 hour shift or so they need me for on the sales floor. So I am confused. I left a message to speak to HR... is there any way to get that pay I missed? When I told some other people tonight I wasn't getting pay, they were shocked. They said they might be able to do a retroactive pay? Anyone know anything?

I moved from the sales floor to backroom and it took 3 years to get a 25cent raise and no back pay. It should've been a 50 cent raise but the ETLHR was a piece of shit.

Ck your pay grade on your ck before you talk to hr. Then, ask about the back pay. Also, check your last review, it might been changed then.

I believe that's illegal. They will try to find ways to skirt around the issue of properly keying you in but I would stay on them.

Best way to fight it, I found, is if you have screen shots of your schedule or grid that actually shows where you were working.
Otherwise they'll say "Oh, well WE don't have anything showing that you worked THERE...."

I believe that's illegal. They will try to find ways to skirt around the issue of properly keying you in but I would stay on them.

As long as the OP is being paid at or above minimum wage, there's no legal issue here. It is, however, against company policy to not properly pay someone for the work they are performing. But I and many others here know all too well the misfortune of doing a job and not getting properly paid for it (though I only had to do it for a month before I was keyed -- and that outraged me enough!) Speak to your HR and demand that you receive every cent of backpay owed to you. That will be a hefty sum they'll be handing over.

Thanks guys for all the info and tips! Of course no one was present for HR today...will surely stay on them about this! I have all my "proof" of working in Electronics as well from the online previous schedules. Depending on the actual increase, it could be upwards of $1,200+ I missed out on...

Best way to fight it, I found, is if you have screen shots of your schedule or grid that actually shows where you were working.
Otherwise they'll say "Oh, well WE don't have anything showing that you worked THERE...."
They just did this to someone at my store. First the ETL-HR promised she would get the back pay. Then she quit. The new ETL-HR says that was a mistake and since Spot has no way to verify where the TM was scheduled she is sol. She was an amazing worker, but she got tired of fighting with them and she quit too.

Regular electronic team members get paid the same as sales floor team members. When you become a brand electronics team leader that's when the raise comes into play.

Is this an ASANTS issue? Because at every store in my district, "regular" Electronics TMs make more than SFTMs.

That's what I was wondering as well. Someone in the store today told me you have to be "brand," but the current sales floor leader for hardlines told People just on the sales floor they would get the raise just after they trained and starting taking shifts. I'm sure they will find some way out of not giving me the money and I'm just not sure how hard I should push for it...it just seems dumb to me if at some stores they give raises for the same job and some they don't. But it is what it is...

If over 50% of your hours are in Electronics, you should be getting paid at this Paygrade - and you are eligible for Backpay. This is Target Policy, so any ETL-HR or HRBP should make it happen, but I don't think there's any actual law being broken here.

If over half of your hours are under electronics then you should automatically be getting the extra $0.50

If over 50% of your hours are in Electronics, you should be getting paid at this Paygrade - and you are eligible for Backpay. This is Target Policy, so any ETL-HR or HRBP should make it happen, but I don't think there's any actual law being broken here.

Thanks. I'm not worried about anyone breaking any rules. I'm sure it was just an oversight. It's quite annoying, but here's hoping it will be an easy fix when I finally get to talk to HR... but that isn't until Saturday. :(

I just checked my hours again from September 6 through October 3 and 84% of my hours were in Electronics. Not to mention a couple of those shifts were listed as "Sales Floor" but I was in electronics the entire time (like for the Star Wars event day) or when I filled in for people who didn't show up, covering breaks/lunches, etc.

Not to mention a couple of those shifts were listed as "Sales Floor" but I was in electronics the entire time
Depending on your HR that might be an issue.. Usually they go off what area you are "scheduled" in. Maybe they'll make an exception in your case though.

Depending on your HR that might be an issue.. Usually they go off what area you are "scheduled" in. Maybe they'll make an exception in your case though.

Well, the 84% comes from actual listed Electronics shifts. I'm just saying, beyond the 84% there were additional times I was in electronics but it was listed as "Sales floor" I don't care about the money for that, I just want to get paid for the actual electronics shifts I worked. Unless you get the "electronics" pay regardless of what shift you work?

Well, the 84% comes from actual listed Electronics shifts. I'm just saying, beyond the 84% there were additional times I was in electronics but it was listed as "Sales floor" I don't care about the money for that, I just want to get paid for the actual electronics shifts I worked. Unless you get the "electronics" pay regardless of what shift you work?
Oh ok, you're fine then.

So, I had the meeting. They said it was an oversight I guess. I talked to her again today and she said she keyed me in as electronics and she did it as far back as January of this year. I started working in mid-September last year. I don't think I had any electronics shifts until around halloween or a bit after. And I did work a lot during those 2 months though. Should I still try to figure out how to get that pay or just move on and be thankful I'm getting anything? I don't want to be "Greedy" but technically I did earn the money... Not sure what else to do about it. I am very happy that from now on I'm getting paid the "Raise" so that's good. But what about the rest of the money in 2014?

You are owed that raise for every hour worked at the very least for every listed shift in electronics.

You know the same thing is happening to me... I started out as a hardlines team member my first year. Then electronic team members where quiting and getting fired so they threw me into electronics. And I been scheduled electronics for two years now and I never got a pay increase. But my other team member who started the same time as me was a hardlines team member and she applied for an open electronic position. And when she gotthe position, she got the pay increase. So honestly I think it depends on how you get to the position. If you apply thru ehr then u guess it is in the system that they have to give you a pay increase. Idk though.

Good luck. I'm currently asking the state to step into my own nightmare. My tl had the hrbp down, my etl-hr quit the company and they are pretending a year and a half of back pay doesn't exist. Even after researching when it should have happened and double checking with me. They simply keyed it as starting that day instead.

I'd like to know how far back they can look at past schedules.

<<<former HRtm

At my store EVERY schedule is printed twice-one for the wall and one for the file so they should have a copy of where you've been working. They may try and jack you around but maybe you have a decent HR and they won't. All you can do is try and if push comes to shove, call corporate and talk to someone is payroll. Stand up for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back