Archived Is it appropriate to report a coworker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the beginning of summer, there has been this new cashier that has been making me feel uncomfortable. The first time I ever had an interaction with him he was staring at my a** in the breakroom and trying to make conversation with me. I hardly ever run into him since I work early morning but when I do he’s always trying to get my attention even though I never answer him. I work OPU and am constantly having to go up near the front and I feel him watching me. Is it bad that i’m waiting for him to say something bad/do something bad to speak up to security/HR? He’s a bit physically disabled and for some reason I feel like they wouldn’t believe me.

Use your words first - "Hey, stop staring at my butt!" or whatever he's staring at now.

If he doesn't listen, then go to HR. But sometimes people are dense and think their crush is returned. Speaking in plain language, direct and no beating around the bush, likely will make him stop when he hears you aren't interested.

I'd confront the TM first, documenting when you did so. If he persists, document the incident(s) and go to HR with that documentation. (HR loves documentation. No, that's not a criticism of HR. Nothing like proof.)

I understand that you will probably be uncomfortable with facing the TM directly but I have to agree with @Tessa120
Politely instruct the individual to refrain from starring at your body.
Explain it makes you feel uncomfortable and needs to stop immediately.
If it continues, document everything and report it.

Right, tell this person to stop looking at you. Tell him to stop talking to you , or make a “conversation” as you put it. Wtf kind of world do we live in, when we can’t even look at each other and talk. Wtf man, wtf.

How do you know he's looking at your ass? Is your head on a swivel, like an owl?

As others have said, comment on his actions directly to him in the moment. Keep a personal log of when and what conversations take place. If he persists, then you go to HR.

Also, you mention a disability. It's possible that he also has a mental or emotional component or may simply just be socially inept. He may not even realize what he's doing or that it's wrong.

A lot of women are taught from a young age to not to be direct in voicing their objections because it's "not nice", "a girl/woman should always be nice and not rude", and when older "being blunt like that makes you a rude bitch". You can see this conditioning as young as pre-school or pre-K when Mary gets upset because Keith took her toy or hugged her, and the teacher dismisses her upset and says that Mary needs to make nice and share or that she should return the hug since Keith likes her.

A lot of men are oblivious to the subtle clues that women are conditioned to put out. Science fact, women have more elaborate social rituals and more elaborate social communication, and that comes out pretty much when the ability to communicate verbally kicks in. (No slight on men, they have other mental strengths popping up that early that women don't have.) So it's not surprising that men completely miss what would be noticeable to a woman. And the "not nice" conditioning comes from grown women to young girls, not men to girls, so it's all tied into the more elaborate social communication.

So unfortunately there are often times that a woman is putting out "not interested" hints that are too subtle for the average man. She doesn't understand why she isn't listened to, she won't be more firm because she doesn't want to be a rude bitch, he is clueless because she just seems shy, he thinks his enjoying the view is too subtle for her to catch and thinks that she'd tell him if she didn't like it, and he's not a creep and would back off if she said the message directly rather than giving hints that are going over his head.

And, be honest guys, would you prefer to be shot down immediately before you've invested a lot of effort and gotten the sense that she likes you back? Would you be more upset if it came out weeks or months later that she wasn't interested all along? If the answer is yes, then my fellow women, isn't it worth it to be that "rude bitch" right from the start and use our words to say "no"? Isn't it worth it to keep the uncomfortable level down by using our words in the beginning?

There was a time where I had to be near a creep, not a clueless guy, but a creep, he pinched my ass and I told him that if he ever did it again I'd break his arm and he took me seriously. He didn't bother me again. The other woman, who just stayed silent, he kept bothering her until she finally went to the people in charge. While I wouldn't advocate the threat of breaking a bone, being that rude bitch saved me a lot of grief.

How do you know he's looking at your ass? Is your head on a swivel, like an owl?

I promise women can tell.
You might think you are getting away with that glance down their blouse but they know.
You might think you are getting away with staring at their butt as they walk past you but they know.

How do I know?
I have two daughters, who I raised to be way too open about shit like that in front of their father.
My oldest is more than happy to regale her old man with stories about the randos who try to stare down her blouse when she is setting up their accounts at the credit union.
She does like to point out that you really don't want to fuck with the person who knows all about your bill paying habits and has your account information.
My youngest always finds it hysterical that men will walk up to her and her girlfriend (when they are holding hands) and ask if they came to the bar alone.
Fuck you, are you so drunk that you only see one person sitting at the table?

Last edited:
I understand that you will probably be uncomfortable with facing the TM directly but I have to agree with @Tessa120
Politely instruct the individual to refrain from starring at your body.
Explain it makes you feel uncomfortable and needs to stop immediately.
If it continues, document everything and report it

I'm gonna disagree with this because from what OP describes at least, this guy is not very socially adept. And then you don't want this guy turning around and saying something like "I just said hello to this girl a couple of times to be polite and she accused me of harassing her"

HR can and will help you out in these situations, and you can either stay anonymous or let them know they want it coming from you. You can simply say "Hey this team member is making me feel uncomfortable with the way he talks to me and tries to be around me" and give an example of a situation that made you uncomfortable. You can even stress that you don't believe he has malicious intent at all if that's what you think.

From what I know Targets actually really good about this sort of thing.

Last edited:
This makes me so mad. Have you said even one time......Hey buddy you are making me feel uncomfortable could you stop? Maybe before jeopardizing his reputation and job say something to HIM. He may think you like it. I seen two times with guys hanging around the girls and doing the same thing. The girls will in return be polite and the guy thinks the girl likes them or might like them. Then the girl goes to HR and the guy gets fired. HR doesn’t play with this type of situation. The guy will be gone. Tell him to STOP then if he doesn’t do something.

@rog the dog If the guy is simply socially inept and dense, then him stomping off after being told to stop his attentions solves the problem. He won't be coming back to stare at her butt. Running straight to HR could get the guy fired like @Bufferine says when there's been no opportunity for the guy to fix his own behavior. Allowing the attentions to happen without stating otherwise and then trying to have HR fire him is a sort of malicious payback. And if he's not fired he will still do exactly what you said, he will still go around saying that he just said hello and got reported, but the upset will be even hotter because of threats to his employment.

Unless there is threatening behavior, people should always say something direct before getting HR involved. Not hint, not be polite and vague, say it flat out. If it continues, then go to HR. But don't start there. Be an adult, use your words, and ignore all that garbage about doing so makes you rude.

And honestly, going straight to HR may not result in HR supporting the woman. I had to go through a very embarrassing interview from HR at a previous job when a woman claimed sexual harassment from a male manager. The final fallout was the woman quitting and the man keeping his job and position. She didn't file a false report, there was some workplace teasing, but it was workplace in general and he had a small part in it compared to the women, plus it was teasing that if she had done nothing it would have passed like all other teasing for other people had.

If I was a female worried about someone looking down my blouse, I'd button up. Besides, what are they gonna see anyway? Just cleavage! A breast isn't a breast w/o a nipple. I'm looking at Wendy (political crap on my normal channel) and I'm seeing at least 10" of cleavage on that wacky broad!

If I was a female worried about someone looking down my blouse, I'd button up. Besides, what are they gonna see anyway? Just cleavage! A breast isn't a breast w/o a nipple. I'm looking at Wendy (political crap on my normal channel) and I'm seeing at least 10" of cleavage on that wacky broad!
Gotta disagree. A man's unwelcome attention should not mean the woman needs to change her manner of dress just to keep from inflaming the man's lust. A man's unwelcome attention should mean he is told to knock it off and he is held responsible for his how he expresses or doesn't express his lust. I'm sure there are a lot of times that guys want to check out a woman. The good men don't make it obvious and stop their actions when told to stop their actions. The jerks that don't, doesn't mean a woman has to change how much or little of her is covered, it means they need to be told to change their behavior. Telling a woman to change her manner of dress so that she doesn't look interesting to some man somewhere leads to some very dark places, such as victim blaming and burqas.

But I still hold that step one should be telling the guy to stop, giving him to be a decent man who can say "Whoops! You didn't say anything so I thought you were interested, but no problem" and then grumble to his friends about how she could have said something weeks ago.

Running straight to HR could get the guy fired like @Bufferine says when there's been no opportunity for the guy to fix his own behavior.

Maybe I'm giving HR too much credit here, but I doubt that'd happen unless multiple people all complained about the guy.

Despite being a guy, I'm very much pro-female-rights. I do not think it is a woman's responsibility to dress modestly, and that if she doesn't she's "asking for it", or any other macho nonsense. But at the same time, if I had a female employee tell me a male employee was looking at her in a way which made her uncomfortable there's no way my first step would be to fire him.

Grab her ass? Fired.
Make a crude joke? Probably not fired, unless repeated after being asked (either by her, or by me after being reported by her) to knock it off.
Staring? Definitely not fired unless this is something that has been shown to be a pattern. I'd just speak with him, and either tell him that a female employee isn't comfortable with the way he leers at them and would appreciate it if he'd stop doing so, or I'd state that I witnessed the leering myself and didn't feel it was appropriate if she wanted to make sure she wasn't harassed further as a repercussion of complaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back