Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

so what are your guys dry team members routines? I need to find a routine that works for my team. I want them to do their push research zone and backstock. any ideas
Assign aisles for each truck, switch them up so none of your team are doing the dreaded soup or spaghetti sauce aisles every truck. Keep in contact with them expectation wise and do an aisle or two yourself inbetween vendors etc. Back stock each uboat as they go and set time limits, I have the expectation of 1 hour to work, backstock and zone per each uboat, to start with. I will begin decreasing as time goes on. Make sure that uboat are moving down the aisle, no added steps! DO NOT WORK OFF PALLETS, they are a total time suck. NO CARDBOARD CAGES!, Just more steps. I break down bev and snack pallets as uboats come back as we don't have enough of them for unload. I also print the grid and assign each team member to a specific task if I have a day off..lesson learned this week when I didn't have time to do so! Still cleaning up bev pallets!

Assign aisles for each truck, switch them up so none of your team are doing the dreaded soup or spaghetti sauce aisles every truck. Keep in contact with them expectation wise and do an aisle or two yourself inbetween vendors etc. Back stock each uboat as they go and set time limits, I have the expectation of 1 hour to work, backstock and zone per each uboat, to start with. I will begin decreasing as time goes on. Make sure that uboat are moving down the aisle, no added steps! DO NOT WORK OFF PALLETS, they are a total time suck. NO CARDBOARD CAGES!, Just more steps. I break down bev and snack pallets as uboats come back as we don't have enough of them for unload. I also print the grid and assign each team member to a specific task if I have a day off..lesson learned this week when I didn't have time to do so! Still cleaning up bev pallets!

What time do you guys start dry push and how many team members do you have pushing uboats and pallets other than the team member pulling, pushing, and backstocking autofills?

Last edited:
Assign aisles for each truck, switch them up so none of your team are doing the dreaded soup or spaghetti sauce aisles every truck.
TMs should do the same aisles every shift to be the experts. Someone will enjoy doing soup/pasta everyday...or maybe split up those aisles depending on your layout. Worst thing you can do is not have your key TMs assigned to specific aisles. It’s onown that you’re going to have a few TMs that flex around to fill in the gaps from other TMs’ days off and vacation and such, but most of your TMs should always work the same aisles every shift.

I break down bev and snack pallets as uboats come back as we don't have enough of them for unload.
Order more Uboats. It’ll take time for them to come in and it’ll be a monetary investment, but it’ll save your team from touching freight multiple times. Use extra flats if you have them for now.

I also print the grid and assign each team member to a specific task if I have a day off..lesson learned this week when I didn't have time to do so! Still cleaning up bev pallets!
Consider using shift labels when the schedule is written. It saves a lot of time the day of and you’re already seeing gaps in coverage two weeks in advance. If most of your team is on a set, then you can key shift labels as part of their set.

Overall sounds like you’ve got a pretty good process.

Anyone else have a burning hatred for TetraPak cartons?

seems like a good idea in theory...the liquid goes into the carton at about 300 degrees to sterilize it but of course that immediately goes to shit when it's punctured by a box cutter or a pointy piece of splintered pallet. I think TetraPaks make up about 90% of the gory HAZMAT spills I've encountered during my 15 years of retail. I'm talking strains of turbo-bacteria that hiss and growl at you while you're dousing them with disinfectant...especially beef and chicken broth *continued retching*

I agree that the cages are a waste of time but where do you suggest they put the cardboard? Back on the uboat? Cart? In a bigger or repack box?

I agree that the cages are a waste of time but where do you suggest they put the cardboard?

Break down the box and put it into the handle of the U Boat. Then transfer it to a cage or the bailer when they take the U Boat back. If the bailer is closer always have them police their own trash. Touch it once saves time. When the bailer is empty there is no excuse not to put broken down boxes into the bailer. It's the TMs that go all the way back to the bailer only to put their cardboard in a trash cage that I think have a screw loose.

Break down the box and put it into the handle of the U Boat. Then transfer it to a cage or the bailer when they take the U Boat back. If the bailer is closer always have them police their own trash. Touch it once saves time. When the bailer is empty there is no excuse not to put broken down boxes into the bailer. It's the TMs that go all the way back to the bailer only to put their cardboard in a trash cage that I think have a screw loose.
Nah I agree. Some of our consumables TMs are notorious for leaving all their cardboard in carts right next to the empty baler

We always loop past the baler, toss the trash and cardboard, then swing back around to market. Doesn’t take long.

We always loop past the baler, toss the trash and cardboard, then swing back around to market. Doesn’t take long.
Our baler is downstairs in the basement so I can understand people not wanting to go all the way down and then back up and across the store but still I wish they didn’t leave their cardboard all over the place

We set up two cages on both ends and once their U boat is done they toss it into the cage and move onto the next aisle. Saves them from meandering to and from the baler.

The problem was we’re having is the push is getting done and the zone but backstock we fall back on. The team can’t get to it. And we’re getting too much push for what we are scheduled as per RTW. Like 10 hours over each day. They’re efficent and working but we still can’t get to it. And backstock piles up then and research can’t get done properly

The problem was we’re having is the push is getting done and the zone but backstock we fall back on. The team can’t get to it. And we’re getting too much push for what we are scheduled as per RTW. Like 10 hours over each day. They’re efficent and working but we still can’t get to it. And backstock piles up then and research can’t get done properly
my consumables TL will sometimes add hours for the week and have someone who is sales floor trained work on backstock that has piled up. Not sure if that’s an option for you as hours are tight already, but I definitely understand your frustration - I worked on just our dry backstock for an hour+ today

Pull->Push->Backstock.
If you fall behind on push, it's much easier to get help from areas for push. Once backstock starts accumulating, you just can't catch up. I'm having the same problem, but we're slowly getting our U-Boats back by not allowing any more to sit with backstock.

Pull->Push->Backstock.
If you fall behind on push, it's much easier to get help from areas for push. Once backstock starts accumulating, you just can't catch up. I'm having the same problem, but we're slowly getting our U-Boats back by not allowing any more to sit with backstock.
Absolutely. It’s not so bad just doing it one or two uboats at a time - it’s once it’s all been piling up that it becomes unmanageable and creates a space and count issue.

it piles up cause only 2 TMs scheduled to push all Dry, Dairy and Freezer. WTF we need at least 6 to 8 TMs to push all of this.
Ughhh yeah I have no idea. I’m in a small low volume target and we still have 3 PAs and at least 4-5 market tms working on push

Ughhh yeah I have no idea. I’m in a small low volume target and we still have 3 PAs and at least 4-5 market tms working on push
That’s my dream number of Tms. I’m in a A+ volume store did 64.6 million last year.
My dairy is about 350 pieces, produce 150 pieces every day. Freezer is about 370 three days a week. As for dry not sure but autos are about 8 or 9 filled tubs and Uboats.

Keep your uboat close, push as fast as you can. The whole model is based around efficiency so if you’re not at 100%, things fall behind. Push->zone->research->backstock.

If one more guests ask me where are my 99 cent eggs are I’m gonna screen. We received 270 today and they were gone by 1 pm. All my eggs are gone except the organic and brown eggs. I’m sure I could have sold 600 of the 18 count eggs today.

Fdc I sure hope you send us more eggs we normally have 3 full pallets of eggs by now. That should be 2160 of the 18 count.

Back