Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

oh, and do the freaking cafs! that will at least clear up some wacos! even if you can only get some of them done, that sure beats doing NOTHING!

Oh my god... I have never seen a backroom freezer get out of hand. That is just ridiculous! My freezer was always backstocked and I made it a point that it needs to be backstocked everyday so this does not happen. This way pulls will be small and backstock will be light so no one will have to be in there for more than five minutes tops.
Someone or rather everybody needs to just take those greens and pallet(s) and go work it to the floor while the backroom team member(s) just backstock everything else that will not go out. That freezer is unacceptable!

Damn. And I thought our freezer was bad. How do they get the freezer CAFs done? Our truck may have a few metros backstocked ON truck day, but the rest just sits. Basically my CTL & ETL pitched enough fits that all we have to do is say "hey can we get someone to backstock please?" and someone will go backstock in the freezer or dairy cooler & clear off a metro or two. Better than nothing. We were clean in every cooler/freezer on backstock the night before we had some big visit but that's it.

They dont do the cafs. Our bakery table has been horrible these past 3 weeks. This is due to nothing being backstock and everything being not organized back there. Their excuse for not getting this done is not enough people and not enough hours. We are loosing money by letting that crap sit there.

Any suggestions on getting the coolers to be decent looking if not clean?

Well just looking at the photos, I see a ton of bakery. Try and work some of that out if at all possible. Other than that, what BRguy & bckrmbulldog said.

Where do you put freezer pallets when the trucks come in?? Or do you have enough people that it ALL gets worked out in 30 min??

I thought we were bad at times, but we've never had to QMOS an entire pallet because it was left out of temp o.0. Our dairy cooler is like 50% as bad as your freezer right now but that's because we just did a major reset and backstocked all the stuff, so it's all on vehicles covering the cooler.

Also, qmosqueen you should consider yourself lucky...I'm not a PA but I do the work/shifts of one, and my opener yesterday (one of the two PAs and the trainer) was livid because on the 2 week schedule she got TWENTY hours. I dunno who the hell is working pfresh shifts that week, I myself got 33 hours but 100% front end, so it's not me, and I dunno if her at 20 hours plus another sales floor TM who does market shifts at 20 hours, plus the CTL at 40 and other PA at...not sure, would cover much of anything...

I am jealous that your baler has so much room around it to make a bale and not having to worry about the hitting stuff with the bale. How come no one is breaking down the boxes? It takes not even a second to do so. Those full boxes will take up so much space in that baler...

All I can pfreshbackroomguy, is keep up with what you can do. You should be able to partner with ETL-log, backroom TL, market TL and get this taken care of.

Let us know how the food truck goes tomorrow and how large are your food trucks?

One thing I noticed about your freezer pics is all the vendor pizza...I know the Superbowl is coming up, but your vendor should not be leaving you so much product if there is CLEARLY no place to put it.

If all that backstock has been sitting there that long, it needs to be pushed out again. I would say probably 50 percent or more will go out; maybe more if no one has been doing the cafs (which, I mean, what the heck?!!?).

You need to go to the highest up person you can find, say, "hey, we're losing money because we can't sell what's not on the floor and we've already had to QMOS out product that we couldn't fit in the freezer." See if maybe flow can push freezer for an hour or two one morning. Many hands make light work and even that mess could be straightened out fairly quickly. Or heck, ask the LOD if you can do it for smart huddle! Pass out gloves to everyone and blitz it out. Organize whatever backstock is left as neatly as you can (three tiers, broken down out of boxes) so it will be much easier to A) backstock and/or B) re-work out if needed.

Good luck! Those pictures make my heart hurt BUT I do admit I enjoy a really good problem to tackle as long as I get the support needed. If I worked at your store, I would volunteer my services. :)

ETA: If you can once it's cleaned out, see if maybe you can get those middle green racks to go side by side to form one long aisle instead of three or four short ones? You might have more room for vehicles and pallets if you've got more open space to navigate instead of all those curves for people and things to go around. In my freezer, we have green racks lining both sides of the wall and then two or three in the middle. Right now we've got two pallets of turkeys "endcapping" the middle aisle but we're getting them swept back next week I think. We're gonna have so much space I don't know what we'll do, haha.

Last edited:
Sometime your leadership just has to spend the hours. Or you get a freezer like that. Now imagine the hours it will take to clean that up and how long you will be dealing with the fall out from it. After we went Pfresh I was told we would have more hours. The opposite of course proved true. They had be trying to run a backroom with a grand total of 125 hours a week. That was 3 GM trucks average 2000 pieces and 2 cooler/freezer trucks. That is 125 hours total backroom for a week. Now you try and figure out how to cover 7 days with those kind of hours and get both the GM and freezer/cooler trucks done plush coverage for the backroom from open to close. I was always their miracle worker until that point but, I could not pull that one off. That and the disaster they left my backroom after the p-fresh remodel were the final straw in my time at target.

Count me in, too. My ctl is awesome. They told the stl about hours for pfresh. Computer says 120 hours for truck & regular shifts. They do schedule to match what the computer says. Then, etl-hr takes off 25 hours & says that you are over in hours.for p-fresh truck & regular shifts. The ctl says, I matched the computer & now get ithe schedule fixed. That event made me wonder about payroll hours vs computer. What is the real truth?

Count me in, too. My ctl is awesome. They told the stl about hours for pfresh. Computer says 120 hours for truck & regular shifts. They do schedule to match what the computer says. Then, etl-hr takes off 25 hours & says that you are over in hours.for p-fresh truck & regular shifts. The ctl says, I matched the computer & now get ithe schedule fixed. That event made me wonder about payroll hours vs computer. What is the real truth?

Your STL or whichever ETL does the forecast gets the total hours forecast, and then allocate to the respective departments as they choose, with the computer generated hours as a guideline to what they should have. In my store sales floor, guest experience and food typically get cut 10% to 15% of their "suggested hours" to make sure logistics is taken care of.

Love the pics of the freezer. I swear that is what our freezer regularly looks like. The backroom TMs don't like backstocking in there so it just keeps piling up and up.

She comes back from vacation today? Well hopefully she can get the problem taken care of. You guys haven't been clean since October? Yikes!

Your STL or whichever ETL does the forecast gets the total hours forecast, and then allocate to the respective departments as they choose, with the computer generated hours as a guideline to what they should have. In my store sales floor, guest experience and food typically get cut 10% to 15% of their "suggested hours" to make sure logistics is taken care of.

My CTL is PISSED we lost hours. We had enough to have one person in there open, one close, with maybe half an hour overlap most days. Now the closer won't be in til 4-4:30, leaving market with ZERO coverage for at least 2 hours. Everywhere else in the store that wouldn't fly, but for some reason we are ok to not have coverage. And it's going to be even more awful on truck days because those 2 hours we would come in & spend time pushing truck. Now we are going to get in & have enough time to do CAFs, cull, & clean and that will be it.

She comes back from vacation today? Well hopefully she can get the problem taken care of. You guys haven't been clean since October? Yikes!

When I say "clean", i mean there isnt backstock in the coolers after a truck. I think we had one day after Xmas where they got mostly everything backstocked in the freezer except a tub and starbucks flat (our starbucks doesnt have enough freezer space so they use the p fresh freezer).

I also found out from another ETL that our ETL LOG came from a store that didnt have p fresh. So she has never ran p fresh trucks. She has never ran both a p fresh and GM truck at the same time. Before this ETL came in October, the early morning BR team backstocked the p fresh truck. They worked on it so the truck would get done with in 3 hours per best practice. Now, since she came aboard, the early morning backroom team doesnt backstock p fresh at all. She and the backroom TL have the dayside backroom team backstock p fresh.

Oh ok I follow you on what you meant about coming clean.

Hmm that is an interesting process you have. At my store, the pfresh team is in at 4am. They pull all the pfresh batches and work them until the truck gets there between 4am and 8am. Once the truck gets there they'll work it and once worked they will backstock it and leave at noon. That's how it's done at my store. They of course take of the trash too before they leave.

The thing is, I believe no one on management cares enough to get put in the spotlight and spend hours on fixing the freezer and the rest of the coolers. They are like "oh p fresh, it doesnt affect me" (looks the other way).

This. I hate hearing our backroom team brag about "coming clean" after a truck when we all know darn well there are multiple metros and smart carts in the freezers and coolers. Out of sight does not mean out of mind.

Can i just say again that I am absolutely FLOORED that a target freezer looks like that. I truly just cannot imagine that nothing i being done. I just keep looking at those pictures going "hell.no." best of luck to you. i sure wish all of us backroom stars could come and help you get that hot mess under control!!! keep us posted! oh, and thank you for caring aboutyour store and trying to fix it.

Bump

I am just curious, how did your food truck go with all the product taking every space in the freezer?

Hey that's awesome to hear! That's great that you can walk in there and it's awesome to hear that you b-coded and backstocked all that dairy product. You should do a before and after picture of the freezer haha! Anyways keep up the good work!

Hey that freezer is looking way better! That is cool to see. I have one question. I am guessing that your pfresh pallets come on the blue pallets? That's interesting since mine come on black plastic pallets.

Thanks for the pictures!

Back