Archived issue with black friday hours scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so i have fridays unavailable due to my dad needing my help those days and they scheduled me 7p-3am thursday and 5-11 friday, ive already talked to a LOD and i will put my dad before target so my question is what would they do if i call out black friday?

Have you had any other issues, attendance etc?
Are you well liked by the management?
Do you do a great job otherwise?
If the answer to the to the first question is no and the second two is yes, you should be fine.
Any other way round and you will have problems.

all the ETL said was that it would count against me. and for those 3 questions all 3 would be yes

They scheduled you out of your availability. If they wanted to put you on the schedule because of it being black thurs/Friday, it was their responsibility to get with you before posting the schedule to see what kind of shift you could work. You need to go to them and say you are unavailable because of ..... But you can do this shift because you know how important BF is. If you think you can walk away not working at all, you're dreaming.

I'm currently going through the same thing being scheduled outside of my availability and on thanksgiving day at that and not one person came to me. I am a college student and won't even be in town until the morning of Black Friday. What do I do?

I think it depends on 2 things. 1)how much of issue are you willing to make of this and 2)do you want to keep working at Target?

My initial thought was that you aren't available, you aren't available.

But in reality, you are screwed. If you make an issue of it, you can probably not have to work. But you will undoubtedly be retaliated against. They'll probably performance you out.

Sorry to be a downer, but see, they don't care about you. Or your dad. Or your family. Or your life.

We have a guy whose wife is due to give birth that day. I assume if he calls off that he'll be let go too.

Isn't it sad what it has come to?But that's what happens when you are a cog. Any slip up and you are replaced.

Greed trumps all. They don't give a fuck about anything but their schedule.

I'm currently going through the same thing being scheduled outside of my availability and on thanksgiving day at that and not one person came to me. I am a college student and won't even be in town until the morning of Black Friday. What do I do?

My guess ... Prepare to be given a very rough time.

well ill put my dad before target any day even if it means i lose my job at target im only a cart attendant and theres only two of us that can close and we are both scheduled to close black friday so even if i call out there still be a closer i even asked before hand to not close and they said it would be fine. but last night after talking to my ETL they said theres nothing they could do and that i would have to find someone to take the shift but only other two that can are gsa's now and are working that day and wont be able to so im thinking about just calling out without much care about what they do to me i need to move on anyways

Not helping your dad one day equates to putting Target before your dad?

You're going to be losing a lot of jobs if you think you can just take Fridays off forever. You're lucky as is to have found one that's allowed you to take most Fridays off.

IIRC Black Friday is a "blackout" day for time off. You're expected to be available for it regardless of your availability. That's probably why you were scheduled.

If you're in college you could have said that your school closes the dorms (if they have them) and only allow special cases to live in the dorms during Thanksgiving break. That's what got me out of the weekend back then.

I would go to your HR/etl and explain to them in depth that you are unavailable those days so you can help your dad out Spot will say , its Black Friday you should had known you were going to need to work etc etc. H opefully talking to them will help. Just try to be calm when you do. talk to them and hopefully it will work out

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was working two jobs at the time and Target was my second job. I was scheduled for black Friday which was outside of my availability.. I simply reminded HR and I was removed from the Black Friday schedule. Good luck and hopefully the best works out for you..

It's probably too late for BF, but I strongly suggest that you apply for intermittent FMLA for those head-up-their-a** schedulers that insist upon scheduling outside of your availability or requests off. It's been a life saver for me.

Screw Target. Whether you're planning on working there long term or not, at first they (management) may be pissy that you can't work or call off or whatever but they'll get over it and forget all about it eventually. If by chance they do write you up or fire you, so what, there are plenty of other shit jobs out there. Easier said than done I know, especially for those with a good work ethic, but in the grand scheme of things, Target shouldn't matter to you, because you don't matter to them.

I think it depends on 2 things. 1)how much of issue are you willing to make of this and 2)do you want to keep working at Target?

My initial thought was that you aren't available, you aren't available.

But in reality, you are screwed. If you make an issue of it, you can probably not have to work. But you will undoubtedly be retaliated against. They'll probably performance you out.

Sorry to be a downer, but see, they don't care about you. Or your dad. Or your family. Or your life.

We have a guy whose wife is due to give birth that day. I assume if he calls off that he'll be let go too.

Isn't it sad what it has come to?But that's what happens when you are a cog. Any slip up and you are replaced.

What's a cog?

_0008_18t_cog.jpg

What's a cog?

A piece of the machine, usually ground down by overwork and a lack of care.

Here's the deal, they might fire you. Fortunately enough though, calling in for 2 shifts, particularly ones which are outside of your previously established availability, are almost guaranteed to not be employment misconduct. What that means is that in most states you'll still be able to get unemployment benefits if they do fire you. You might have to put up a bit of a fight but you should be able to get it.

In the past when I have seen this come up people scheduled against availability on black friday were removed once they took it up the chain.

Also, if you call out on Black Friday and you do manage to keep your job, you won't hear the end of it. There was somebody who called out on Black Friday, and it was still a topic of conversation for several months...now it's turned into "hey do you remember when "person" called out that one year" amongst the old-timers...now it's just legend due to the high turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back