I'm Lost! Jean dress code!

hey guys so i just got hired recently for starbucks and they said we can wear denim jeans w no rips. i was just wondering does it have to be a specific wash or style or am i able to wear bootcut, mom style, boyfriend, straight, or just skinny since i see a lot of girls only wear skinny.

Check with your store to be certain. At my store it's only shades of blue, any wash, no holes, no leggings/jeggings, must cover hips and undergarments.

Definitely check with your store. At my store, a TM can get away with wearing practically anything. I wish we had a stricter dress code like what others are talking about here - no holes or rips, covering hips & undergarments, etc. Even our SD wears jeans with rips; the lack of professionalism is embarrassing.

hey guys so i just got hired recently for starbucks and they said we can wear denim jeans w no rips. i was just wondering does it have to be a specific wash or style or am i able to wear bootcut, mom style, boyfriend, straight, or just skinny since i see a lot of girls only wear skinny.
You probably are seeing women only wearing skinny because of the TM discount. Target for some reason stocks only skinny and jeggings. There's a few Denizen that are boot cut or straight, but they are a lot more expensive.

I alternate between medium-wash blue and black jeans with red shirts, universal thread high waisted skinny jeans are my holy grail I want them in every single color. Plus because of the 1-year return policy on them, whenever they inevitably rip in the inner thigh (my thick thighed people know what’s up) I just even exchange them for another pair so I haven’t paid for jeans in like over a year lol

Yes it does, and I wonder how khaki became the go-to. Black pants are much easier to find and much more flattering.

Khaki was the original dress code, then Washington and California made laws that said that khaki wasn't a color that most people wore on a day to day basis so Spot would have to buy the pants as a 'uniform'.
They promptly changed the dress code.
In states that weren't those two for a very long time they would give people hell if they decided to follow the actual dress code.

Khaki was the original dress code, then Washington and California made laws that said that khaki wasn't a color that most people wore on a day to day basis so Spot would have to buy the pants as a 'uniform'.
They promptly changed the dress code.
In states that weren't those two for a very long time they would give people hell if they decided to follow the actual dress code.
Ahh, interesting, thank you!

yeah as soon as the jeans policy was announced nobody cared what you wore as long as it wasn't ripped at my store.

then somebody somewhere did send a communication that "oh its blue jeans only" and for awhile they enforced that, now we're back to not caring anymore.

At our store, it was jeans that were solid color, either blue or black, and no skin could show through rips. Leggings underneath to keep skin from showing through rips was acceptable.

Then we got a new DTL. A week or two later in a huddle it was blue only, no rips at all.

I thought they took away non-khaki or blue jean options when they gave us blue jeans. Before that it was solid color pants or skirt (khaki preferred), but I thought our ETL said that changed to khaki or blue jeans. Something about limiting those to help reduce confusion for guests about who was working here (see also: red shirts are supposed to be solid red, no other colors or printing).

But people wear black jeans at my store and plenty of non-solid red shirts, so whatever. Uniform enforcement is...inconsistent at best.

I’ve worn solid red, burgundy/maroon, red with stripes, red plaids, red polka dots, and borderline light red. I’ve never been policed on the red as everyone else at my store has done something similar to what I mentioned. The only thing I’ve never worn is red graphics tees with images or logos on the front. I’ve seen other team members wear them though.

As far as trousers, I’ve only worn jeans or khakis. I’ve seen black pants before. There doesn’t seem to be strict policy on that or other colors. Then there’s always the red vest for those who don’t wear a red shirt.

I thought they took away non-khaki or blue jean options when they gave us blue jeans. Before that it was solid color pants or skirt (khaki preferred), but I thought our ETL said that changed to khaki or blue jeans. Something about limiting those to help reduce confusion for guests about who was working here (see also: red shirts are supposed to be solid red, no other colors or printing).

But people wear black jeans at my store and plenty of non-solid red shirts, so whatever. Uniform enforcement is...inconsistent at best.

The dress code is so lax at my store, one of the very beautiful cashiers will show up in a tight red midi dress with a “jean” button up shirt on to cover her shoulders but she leaves it unbuttoned and just ties it at the bottom. Or she’ll wear a tight khaki midi skirt with a red crop top. Seems crazy to dress like this to work but no one ever says anything and she does look amazing lol. Every time she walks in she’s always wearing something super cute so I always tell her “wow you look beautiful” every time she comes in the door 😂

Most TMs at my store wear jeans now, and I just don't get the appeal of it. They're cold in the winter, hot in the summer. I often commute by bike, and lemme tell ya, the seams in jeans are all wrong for biking. I have no problem at all finding lots of khakis at thrift stores for cheap, including Dockers that seem like they've never been worn. I so much prefer keeping my jeans for other activities that require tough fabric (yard work, etc.) and my black pants for things like going out with friends.
And plain red shirts are just so easy, also readily available at thrift shops for cheap. One TM at my store frequently wears a burgundy Hogwarts shirt, another a school team shirt that's red, many variations on red which aren't all that close to red. About the only colors I haven't seen are blue, green, and yellow.

Eh, my khakis started wearing out, I had jeans in the closet, so now I'm wearing jeans some days too.

Most TMs at my store wear jeans now, and I just don't get the appeal of it. They're cold in the winter, hot in the summer. I often commute by bike, and lemme tell ya, the seams in jeans are all wrong for biking. I have no problem at all finding lots of khakis at thrift stores for cheap, including Dockers that seem like they've never been worn. I so much prefer keeping my jeans for other activities that require tough fabric (yard work, etc.) and my black pants for things like going out with friends.
And plain red shirts are just so easy, also readily available at thrift shops for cheap. One TM at my store frequently wears a burgundy Hogwarts shirt, another a school team shirt that's red, many variations on red which aren't all that close to red. About the only colors I haven't seen are blue, green, and yellow.
Bicycling in work clothes? Blech. Smell like sweat all day, nasty. Better to wear proper cycling clothing and change in the bathroom. I have some issues with heat, trying to bicycle in khakis made me feel like I was dying, proper cycling clothes was a dream.

Exactly I could never bike or walk to work I am a very sweaty person in general, I always feel warm and exercising just makes it 10x worse lol

Yeah we have
It's funny how people are so different. I love jeans, I live in them. Jeans today are much more comfortable than the ones of old - a bit of stretch is a must. Until I discovered yoga pants a few years ago, I would come home from work, take my work pants off, and always throw on jeans. I always have one really soft, broken-in pair that are my "relaxation" jeans, lol.

Yoga pants are awesome for relaxation too, but I dont wear them out in public. I have always hated sweatpants, on men and women - sloppy and unflattering, and they just feel weird.

Last edited:
Back