Archived Jury Duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how Target handles jury duty with team members?
My store will just schedule you off the whole week.
It didn’t use to be like that. Before you would just tell them the day before of if you got selected.
I’m not sure what the proper or official way to do it is.

Last edited:
In some states they have to pay you anyways and some don't.

In my state you call the day before to find out if they need you, for a week I think. So we just deal.

State law and court requirements vary so much. The last time I was called for jury duty, I had to call the day of to find out if I had to report in about 90 minutes. Every day for a whole week. (Yeah, that's so convenient!) I told my TL immediately after receiving the summons and she was cool about it - I called the number when I went to break, felt great relief every time I was told I did not have to report, and kept my TL informed. Ended up not having to go in, but that kind of call-in requirement is part of what makes people grumble about jury duty.

Our county is so big that when you get called it is "one day or one trial". So if they don't call you for a trial, after that day you're free for the next year. You have to call the night before and they'll tell you if you have to report in for jury duty. Sometimes they set you free with a "thank you for your service" and sometimes they say "call back at 11" and sometimes they say "report in at 8am". So what I do is let HR know it's coming and if I have to report in at 8am, I call off the night before. If I'm told to call back at 11am, I go into my shift (I only work dayside) and then call on my break. If I have to go then they let me leave. I've always been cut loose when I call back at 11am and by doing it the way I do I don't have to miss a shift. Of course if you get on a trial... our store pays you out for the time you are scheduled and then they just don't schedule you until you're done.

I'm a pro at getting out of jury duty. I'm fairly certain my local district court has just taken me off the list I haven't been called for it in so long. If I do get called, I'd just tell HR, "Don't worry. I'll be out for the one morning and then be back to work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back