Archived Jury duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so in today's mail, I got my jury duty pre-summons questionaire. So the summons itself will be coming.

I've been called once for jury duty, and that was in the days of my professional job, where I simply informed my employer that I may not be in that day, and I would know the night before when I had to call into the system. I didn't actually have to go, and after two evenings of calling in, the system thanked me for my service and sent me on my merry way.

How does jury duty work with the good old Spot job? Do I give them a heads up when I get the summons and then just call them the night before after the system lets me know if I have to appear? Working GSA/guest services for 95% of my shifts means I will leave them in a serious lurch, which isn't completely my problem, of course. But do they just have people play it by ear and call out every night ahead of time? I'm assuming Spot doesn't pay people when they have jury duty.

I know some of this is in the handbook, but a) I have no idea where mine is and b) I was hoping someone here might have a personal experience or two on this.

I don't think you can face any negative action for jury duty or spot can get in trouble... I assume you just call in once you know you can't make it.

Yeah, when I get the summons, I'll just ask for the first day off, though with my luck I wouldn't have to appear until the next day. So I'll ask for the day off, and then if I need to, I'll just call in for subsequent days.

It depends on your state but you are most likely protected by state law and can get unpaid leave to go to jury duty.

That's your best plan. Wish they would pay us for missed work, but they rearranged my schedule to come in a different day that week. Otherwise, it's a good vacation day. :)

Target won't pay us for jury duty because we get paid for going (if we go).

Tell your HR as soon as you know the potential dates of jury duty.
Spot can not prevent you from going to jury duty and Spot can not make you get people to cover your shifts. Jury Duty is the Government and Spot has to listen to the Government on this or face some major issues.

If you meet one of the few exemptions from jury duty then you may be excused. However, if you are to go and then choose not to go then a warrant for your arrest may be filed.

In any case, do what you must do for jury duty. You will find it an interesting, learning experience. You'll be glad that you went (if you get picked to serve).

I believe that most TMs don't get paid by Spot during jury duty.....but I'm pretty sure that LODs do get paid, as their jobs are salary, but I don't know if it is full pay or partial pay.

Hope this helps!

I served on the grand jury for my county in 2009. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I had to go downtown for jury duty on my 21st birthday.

In my county, you get either $40 or the amount you'd get paid for the hours of work you missed. Even if I had been scheduled to work that day, I would've taken the $40 because it would still be more than I would've gotten for those hours at either job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back