Archived Just got Service & Engagement Team Lead Position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beeen working at Target for a year and a half (no prior front of store training other than what I taught myself). My store director had a talk with me about the position and had me do a day of gstl duties to see if I liked it. I did really well and after interviews got the position! So my question is, what is the hardest aspect of the job/ where do people usually fail, what makes a good SETL, and just any tips and advice would be awesome. Especially some insight on how to coach and holding the advocates accountable butt without them walking out or hating their job.
Thanks!

Beeen working at Target for a year and a half (no prior front of store training other than what I taught myself). My store director had a talk with me about the position and had me do a day of gstl duties to see if I liked it. I did really well and after interviews got the position! So my question is, what is the hardest aspect of the job/ where do people usually fail, what makes a good SETL, and just any tips and advice would be awesome. Especially some insight on how to coach and holding the advocates accountable butt without them walking out or hating their job.
Thanks!

With my team, the hardest part is shifting them to a truly guest obsessed focus. They come to work to hang out with each other, and they couldn't give a fuck less about the guests. When I have coaching conversations, I think of myself more as a baseball coach and less as a "boss", until the time comes for a true performance conversation/corrective. It helps me deliver the message that they have a job to do while also helping me focus on the true coaching aspect, not just pointing out flaws because I'm an asshole.

Example of a conversation I had with an Advocate today: "You have an amazing work ethic with tasks, and that's a great asset when we have you scheduled for carts. Right now at SCO, your focus needs to be on delivering amazing service to the guests. I don't want you to worry about anything right now other than talking to guests. I'll catch the go-backs and the hand baskets, you let everyone know how much money they can save with the REDcard and Cartwheel. Can you do that for me?" If the same person is still struggling at the end of the shift, I'll recap saying something like "Hey, we talked earlier about your engagement. I noticed a definite improvement, but next time you're in, I want you to dive in right away to the engagement piece. Sound good?" The more conversations you have with them, especially multiple in the same day, then they aren't caught off guard when it turns into a, "You aren't performing where I need you to be" type conversation. My goal is to never have a difficult conversation with an Advocate that they don't see coming. If I make them think they're doing everything perfectly, then one day I tell them "hey, you suck and you have for a while", that's when they start to walk out or check out mentally when you work with them.

Who would work for you ? illegal immigrants ? They would go back home on their own. I would coach you on people going postal.📬

@2serveandengage thanks for the advice! I'll be training at another store for two weeks. Any advice on that? I've heard they'll try and stick you on a register and not train you.

@2serveandengage thanks for the advice! I'll be training at another store for two weeks. Any advice on that? I've heard they'll try and stick you on a register and not train you.

When I got trained, they just had me cover like a normal GSA would have while their SETL did things off-stage 😂 I would recommend writing down any questions you have before you start training, and any that pop up after you start, so you can make sure you get the knowledge you're missing. I did have a chance to sit down with their ETL-SE and ask about the coaching/performance/termination side of things, which is what I was the least confident about going in. Going in knowing the gaps you need to fill will make it that much more worth your time.

If that happens, first tell your trainer that you aren't there to ring. If it keeps happening, tell your home store and they should move you to another place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back