Archived Just say....Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's still sealed, that is totally not a huge deal...I did that once because a guest had a gift receipt, and it doesn't say anywhere on gift receipts that it's a 30 day return. Though you do need someone with supervisor credentials because you need to be able to grab the day's override code to do it.

there was an email sent saying that we need to all work together to gain back the guests trust and ways we were to do so. One of them is to say Yes to the guest and that the only one to say no should be the STL. The way my ETL-GE and I read it was that we weren't going to throw all policy out the window but that the cashiers should be doing what they can to make the guests happy. According to the email the STL and/or ETL-GE have to go around and talk to every single team member about this and get everyone on the same page. It'll be interesting to see what some of the older cashiers say. They always call us over for any price change over 1.00 and no matter how many times we talk to them they never stop!

Yeah, the ETL-GE typed up his list, gave it to the GSTL, who showed it to me, and I spent the weekend getting people to sign off on it. I hope the GSTL at least talks to the cashiers about it as well, because right now, they are not on board with this so much...neither are the other GSAs so much...they migh have been had we not gotten down to receipt signing. Oy.

And yes, our little old ladies are going to fight the price empowerment rule forever. I finally looked at one of the main offenders on Friday and told her, without mincing words that if the price change was under $20, I didn't want to even know she had it and she was to do it, no questions asked. She seemed to get it, but since most of our little old ladies don't work weekends, it's too soon to tell.

Well, it's finally hit my store. ETL-GE/Temp. Sales Floor just passed along the message. ETL-AP (she's crazy best practice) and one GSTL are annoyed by the wording of how we have to do everything we can to help the guest. Basically, they want to know what exactly the limits are.

Clear limits went out the door with "vibe" so I'm not too concerned with that. I still chased out a fraudulent return the other night. But if it seems as if the guest means well, I figure the only limit is my own common sense and what the register will and will not allow.

Still hasn't hit at my store, to my knowledge. Closing next 3 nights, will see if it comes up.

Regional managers are going around as shoppers to make sure we are following vibe. They told us never say no on anything. The regional managers were trying to use expired coupons and were now suppose to take them. If a guest now claimes that the 30 percent item is sevety perecent. Give it to them. Expired receipt? Use the override to give them what they want.

Basically if a guest wants a invisible pink unicorn. Find one.

They all tell him to do it himself, which I am perfectly in favor of. You want to do the return/price change/whatever it is against policy, you do it.

I've done that working service desk a couple times. They'll tell me to do something against policy so I just log out and hand it over to them because I know if it shows up in the report, I certainly don't want my name attached to it, even if they told me to do it anyway. For example, I did that returning an open video game the day after Christmas one time (the goal was not to deny a single return that day). The ETL was up there and told me to do it anyway so I told her to do it under her account.

As for major price changes, it depends on who is watching the lanes. There doesn't seem to be a clear policy. But under $20 (or what is reasonable) has been the rule for a long time. Corporate visitors told me this week that the service desk should be the "Yes Desk" because we pretty much want to say "yes" to everything the guest wants. If you have a Target email, there should be an email that has more details (I understand there was one yesterday, 2/5, about accepting all coupons without question).

Yeah, see, if I tell someone to go ahead and do it, I'm usually doing so while walking away. I will stand behind every call I make and take the "blame" for it if it comes back in a report, but I am not going to stand around and argue with a cashier or GSTM in front of a guest. In fact, with this year long focus on making it right, if someone refuses, I'll probably just have them call up the LOD, who I know will back me up, and let them argue with the LOD. We aren't out there making decisions that will get you into trouble. But clearly your store is different because there is no way we would be telling an ETL "you do it."

The video game one just would have showed you returned a video game...nothing to get excited about and refuse to do the return for. I've had two incidents lately where a guest has bought a game or cd, it didn't work, so they exchanged it and tried again and it still didn't work. Each time, I simply called up the LOD, explained the situation, and asked them how to handle it. Both times they said to do the return. That's all I needed. If it somehow comes back (though I don't know how), I know my GSTLs and ETL-GE are so heavily into the vibe and making it right that we will simply come up with a plan of attack for next time if it's an issue.

I have Spot email, but have not gotten that email. I'm being lenient, but not losing my head.

With regards to the movie / video game issue, we've always strictly enforced the unopened game issue and pretty much if they can't get it to work even after an exchange or we don't have it anymore, we tell them that they have to go through the manufacturer and we can't make exceptions because of legal copyright issues. How strictly this is enforced might depend on where you are. There have certainly been some major confrontations over this issue which could have been avoided if it were flexible (not when I was doing the return, but ones I have witnessed at the front lanes). The couple times I have turned a dubious return over to the LOD (who either happened to be helping out the Service Desk or I had to call), I certainly did it with deference and not in a rude way. I just know that a couple times I have been coached the next day on a return that I should not have accepted and I don't want it to happen again. I believe the specific example I gave was when our return policy was being strictly enforced a couple years ago (we seem to go back and forth with how liberal our return policy is), making it more important. The ETL in question here is wonderful and I'm not saying she would intentionally screw me over but like I said, I just didn't want to show up in the report at all.

With regards to Service Desk, I just wish the helpdesk (718) was more helpful, they rarely give me an override code even on something that really should be overridden. So hopefully "Just Say Yes" applies to them too! Because if the guest is arguing with me and so I'm repeating everything to 718 until they give up and hang up on me. I agree with the guest but 718 follows the rule to the letter so there's nothing I can do (especially if a daily override code won't work). Not sure how we're supposed to follow "Just Say Yes" in that case.

We've always been lenient on returns, so it isn't much of an issue for us.

Yeah, I know it's illegal to take them back if they are opened, and Spot can lose its ability to sell the stuff...that's why I just ask the LOD what to do. Of course the last LOD I asked had no clue there was such a law, making the entire conversation even more interesting. That issue was with a game that the guest said they googled and found that others were having the same issue they were. And the guest had contacted the manufacturer who basically said since the guest didn't buy it directly from them, it wasn't their problem. Talk about putting us between a rock and a hard place! But that's why I had the LOD make the call.

Oh, I'm sure 718 will continue to make all of our lives a living hell. But that's why I do absolutely everything in my power and poll other GSAs and GSTLs and LODs for creative work arounds before I ever consider picking up that phone.

i haven't had that daily override code not work for something since this all started in december. It's my new best friend!
Tonight my ETL-GE talked to all the cashiers about this and then 2 minutes later a cashier called me over for a 0.50 price change.. I wanted to pull my hair out!

Yep. I just said point blank after the guest left...if it was under $20, I did NOT want to hear about it, no exceptions. For some of the older cashiers, it's the only way to get it across. I figure that should get her up to $5 or so. :p

i haven't had that daily override code not work for something since this all started in december. It's my new best friend!

That's good to hear! It's not often I have to try to get someone to use one but it's always frustrating when the override code is denied -- it's like, "Isn't that why it's called an 'override code'?"

Yeah, see, if I tell someone to go ahead and do it, I'm usually doing so while walking away. I will stand behind every call I make and take the "blame" for it if it comes back in a report, but I am not going to stand around and argue with a cashier or GSTM in front of a guest. In fact, with this year long focus on making it right, if someone refuses, I'll probably just have them call up the LOD, who I know will back me up, and let them argue with the LOD. We aren't out there making decisions that will get you into trouble. But clearly your store is different because there is no way we would be telling an ETL "you do it."

GSTL, not ETL, just wanna clear that

With receipt ... even exchange ... same game, i have the gsa open the game we give them, just so we're not middle man for some sort of lord-knows-what
Without receipt ... nope. point them to the video game-buy-back place near by.

Yep. I just said point blank after the guest left...if it was under $20, I did NOT want to hear about it, no exceptions. For some of the older cashiers, it's the only way to get it across. I figure that should get her up to $5 or so. :p
I'm an older cashier (or was until I went to sales floor) and I always just went ahead and changed it if it was under the $20. I could never understand the cashiers that wouldn't do that. And we did have a few that the GSAs and GSTLs were always talking about. They just didn't get it.

Yeah, that's why I said "some" because we do have some older ones that rock it. But if there is going to be the digging in of heels and refusing to grant an extra dollar off, it is our little old ladies who are also combing the shelves for deals, and are likely unhappy that they can't get the same price.

I don't know why SPOT claims returning opened video games is illegal. It's clearly not. There IS NO USA law claming this is true.

You can read US copyright law here:
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

It's not a law I don't think, just a copyright agreement between target and the suppliers.

Redandkhakki and rg-
I also hated telling cashiers to just do the price change when it's .50 cents... Worst thing when it's swamped and you have 3 places to be and they call you over for nonsense... Best to just be blunt with cashiers sometimes and get the point across that they're being nags.

I got the yes info today... They reme,breed to tell me when I sent a lady to GS that challenged a price after she looked at her receipt. I knew they'd do it up there.

It was worded as... The $20, is out the window. $40, 50, 70... That's us. Just change it. (I also pointed out I never out I never heard the official policy in the first place)

My normally yes GSA was working tonight, she wasn't going to let the coupon scammer get away with it tho - she warned us newbies about her and her trial sizes. That ade me feel better about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back