Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email from USAA today. They decided to issue me a new card. I'm happy about it because my old one is all beat up lol.

We were notified by MasterCard that your USAA debit card information, such as your name, debit card number and expiration date, have been compromised. Unauthorized access to this information occurred between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15, 2013, through Target, a national retailer — USAA's systems were not involved.

To reduce the risk of unauthorized transactions, we're replacing your debit card ending [redacted]. We'll send you a new card with a new card number and expiration date...

I found this interesting, from here:

Without being ‘in the room’ to fully understand why they’ve adopted such a closed communications posture, it’s hard to accurately second-guess their decisions,” said Jon Austin, one of the Twin Cities’ top crisis consultants. “That said, it does seem clear that Target is looking to say as little as possible about the whole situation. That approach is 180 degrees off base. In general, I think companies should begin with the proposition that, particularly in a crisis, they’re going to get everything out that they can and only hold something back if they have a specific reason to do so. That kind of ‘flip-the-script’ mind-set needs to start at the top of the organization.

Without being ‘in the room’ to fully understand why they’ve adopted such a closed communications posture, it’s hard to accurately second-guess their decisions,” said Jon Austin, one of the Twin Cities’ top crisis consultants. “That said, it does seem clear that Target is looking to say as little as possible about the whole situation. That approach is 180 degrees off base. In general, I think companies should begin with the proposition that, particularly in a crisis, they’re going to get everything out that they can and only hold something back if they have a specific reason to do so. That kind of ‘flip-the-script’ mind-set needs to start at the top of the organization.

I couldn't agree more. More transparency and pertinent information from the top would be appreciated by TMs, leaders, guests and the public.

Not that's it is Target's fault and I have sympathy for all guests but I am a little tired of hearing is it okay to use my card?? Yes.... Yes..... Yes..... Seriously?? Yes....... Again I have sympathy for all guests but when you hear it over and over and it's been on the news I am sure they know it's okay to use the card.

I couldn't agree more. More transparency and pertinent information from the top would be appreciated by TMs, leaders, guests and the public.

I think it would have been better to lay it all out at once rather than stretch this into a 3+ week story in the news.

I think it would have been better to lay it all out at once rather than stretch this into a 3+ week story in the news.

This is a method known as inoculation.
Reagan perfected it with scandals like Iran/Contra.
You trickle out bits of information over a long period of time rather than release it all at once so that people become immune to the outrage.
They just throw up their hands and 'well, that's the government' (or Spot, or Walmart).

If the information was brought out in one chunk and people realized just how bad it was the dreck would hit the fan and Gregg really would have to fall on his sword.
As it is this will be a front page for a day then pushed down, a week later the same thing will happen and so on.
He will weather it and the company will take a major hit financially which he will fix by cutting hours.

If the information was brought out in one chunk and people realized just how bad it was the dreck would hit the fan and Gregg really would have to fall on his sword.
As it is this will be a front page for a day then pushed down, a week later the same thing will happen and so on.
He will weather it and the company will take a major hit financially which he will fix by cutting hours.

Exactly...he'll still take home his $28 million...
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_Gregg-W-Steinhafel_8KF8.html

Makes me sick that all of us at store level get to pay for it.

Just to let everyone know, Target is out to PROTECT the consumer again!!
Pieces of trivia you may not know about your Target purchases and their company rules.

There is an annual $70 return limit without receipts, even for just a straight exchange!
Next you MUST have a driver's license so they can track this information across the nation, they will not accept a valid US Passport as a form of photo id because they can't track it by a number in their computer system.

I was informed that if I could bring my credit or debit card in they would refund straight to my card or if I could give them the receipt I had purchase the item on I could be given a store credit.
I personally will no longer be shopping or gifting from Target, they can't protect my credit card information but they can protect their return limit.
Wow, what a corporation!!!

This has been making the rounds on Facebook.
I didn't work GS, is it true that they don't accept a passport as ID?

Great case of apples and oranges but just another way that people are going to see Spot as protecting itself and not them.

Pieces of trivia you may not know about your Target purchases and their company rules.

There is an annual $70 return limit without receipts, even for just a straight exchange!
Next you MUST have a driver's license so they can track this information across the nation, they will not accept a valid US Passport as a form of photo id because they can't track it by a number in their computer system.
!

Actually NO. We can do a straight exchange, without hitting your $70 limit, as long as you have your ID. And... if you go over the $70 limit, we can issue you merchandise credit to buy a item within that section of the store.

Honestly, I think most of the ones, who argue or get upset about the policy, are the ones returning stolen merchandise...

I'm pretty sure we don't. Atleast, I've never seen us to a receipt-less return with one. I do think you can buy Beer or Wine though with Passports still. The birthdate has to be manually entered in.

Last edited:
This has been making the rounds on Facebook.

Great case of apples and oranges but just another way that people are going to see Spot as protecting itself and not them.
You can't use a passport to apply for a red card, either. The only thing you can use a passport for is a form of ID for buying alcohol etc.

Honestly, I think most of the ones, who argue or get upset about the policy, are the ones returning stolen merchandise...
Agreed. It's actually really easy to do exchanges, and if you're over the $70 limit and obviously have a legitimate problem (and we've checked with AP to make sure you didn't just grab something from the shelf), a GSA or TL can override the difference in department if absolutely necessary.

We've always been able to use passports for credit apps but they also HAD to have a SS#.
After you scanned the app, the screen that asks for the license also gave an option for a passport.
Also, looking under the "other states" you'd be amazed how many territories we could accept licenses from - Virgin Islands, Manitoba, Yukon, American Samoa, just about every Canadian province to name a few.

So today they were calling everyone into TMC & having them change their passwords. They insisted it is just because of the new year. Does that sound right? I don't remember doing this every year.

So today they were calling everyone into TMC & having them change their passwords. They insisted it is just because of the new year. Does that sound right? I don't remember doing this every year.

We have never changed our passwords for New Years. Workbench already prompts us to change our passwords every 3 months or so as it is. This is not a routine change and any ETL who claims it is if full of shit.

One thing I also noticed is I can no longer reuse the last 4 passwords on record. So much for swapping between the 2 I'm used to.

Last edited:
At one time the passport was an option but no more. It's been at least a year, maybe more, that that option disappeared from the screen.

I used the same old password I've been swapping out with since I started. I have two passwords. One has an * in it; the other has an !

I just used a passport yesterday to do a return. The option is there, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

!

Actually NO. We can do a straight exchange, without hitting your $70 limit, as long as you have your ID. And... if you go over the $70 limit, we can issue you merchandise credit to buy a item within that section of the store.

I'm pretty sure we don't. Atleast, I've never seen us to a receipt-less return with one. I do think you can buy Beer or Wine though with Passports still. The birthdate has to be manually entered in.

Can someone explain to me how to do an even exchange without hitting the $70 limit if all they have is their id? We end up doing the return, putting it on a gift card, selling the new item and knocking the price down as needed.

Thank you Backroom81. It makes me wonder what they aren't telling us now. What if the breach involved hr?

!

Can someone explain to me how to do an even exchange without hitting the $70 limit if all they have is their id? We end up doing the return, putting it on a gift card, selling the new item and knocking the price down as needed.

I always explained to guests that returns without receipt "No Receipt Returns" are not eligible for exchanges, but only a REFUND; and that any other items will need to be purchased after the refund is complete. That's what the official policy is anyway (subject to vibeing at different frequencies).

That's what I thought. For straight exchanges, we knock down the price to the exchange price for vibe. Of course, if they ever return that one, even with their receipt, they only get that price back on a gift card. I haven't had a guest discover that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back