Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
As big of a breach that this is.. people have to consider the odds here..

Chances of your information being stolen is 1 out of 40,000,000 (if you used one credit card), or 0.0000025%

while...

Chances of being struck AND killed by lightning is 1 out of 2,500,000..

So basically that's saying that you have a better chance of being struck and killed by lightning at least 15 times over than someone stealing your information from the pile of data. And that doesn't even mean that your information is in that pile, or that they have all the necessary information to make it work.

I still do understand that this is a significant matter, however ignorant people see the numbers (40million cards stolen), and see that immediately believe their info has been compromised. Unfortunately, that will really hurt Spot in the coming weeks.

Might want to check that math there. Hackers aren't going to be like "I got a successful one on my very first try! I am officially out of the stolen credit card game!"

The blurb does not address RedCard debit card "stuff" at all.....

Time to go check to see if I used my debit card - watch me have used it for a soda or something dumb.

WEll, I figured out how to change my debit pin number - I had never signed up for an account. I do have to say Target has the best security question choices i've encountered. In my case, I like to try to pick ones my ex wouldn't be able to guess... since he stalked me online during the divorce - I really don't trust him/them.

I still wish I knew what that risk was - I guess on payday I will open another checking account and just move everything there. Will be good - I can keep that one for online/paypal and keep my actual money in the new one.

Oh, and I did NOT use my actual debit card in the store during that time. Go me!

Went in to check my schedule and get a few things (with cash ;)) today, and there was a statement above the time clock saying "the issue has been resolved, and was before the media broke the story." I call bullshit. Damage control anyone?

The leak might be resolved, but the crooks still have the name, card number, expiration date and security codes for 40 million people (which has got to be everyone who used their cards within that three week period). So it remains to be seen how many of us end up with fraudulent charges. (And it will probably be more than the one person that the previous poster surmised).

I am so confused about all this. How do we know if our cards were hacked? If our card is hacked, could they make a fraudulent charge in the future? If we used our credit card at Target AT ALL during the time frame, should we just cancel that card?

I checked my account, and I don't *think* there are any bad charges there; I shop so often at Target now that I can't remember every transaction, and I don't save every receipt, either! So I have no real way of knowing. There definitely aren't any big ones I don't remember making. I wish someone in charge could tell me what to do.

At my Target, no one even told us about this. There was a little flier in the office this morning that basically said "up to 40 million accounts could have been compromised and the issue is now resolved" which doesn't really tell us much of anything. I started checking people's ID's today to help them feel better, but it's not going to change anything.

So basically that's saying that you have a better chance of being struck and killed by lightning at least 15 times over than someone stealing your information from the pile of data. And that doesn't even mean that your information is in that pile, or that they have all the necessary information to make it work.

I still do understand that this is a significant matter, however ignorant people see the numbers (40million cards stolen), and see that immediately believe their info has been compromised. Unfortunately, that will really hurt Spot in the coming weeks.

It's not the personal information people should be concerned about.

Anyone with Google, and armed with your first & last name, can find your MMN, Home Address and phone number.

However, the problem is, these people got access not to credit card numbers. But Instead, Track 1 & 2 data from credit cards & debit cards.

This is the exact same data, they need to simply open a program in Windows & Duplicate a Credit Card. Then they can just go on shopping sprees, using cards they printed & encoded. Or even better, they can just drive up to ATM's and cash them all out.

However, this is not what the hackers will be doing. There's no way possible that they could simply use all of it, nor do I think they actually intend on taking the risk of doing so. Instead, it'll be sold online in overseas forums, and chat rooms to buyers. Probably for about $3-4 a card.

Shoppers & Us.. shouldn't really be concerned though. Credit Card companies almost always cover these loses. Small Banks however, can be like pulling teeth trying to dispute fraudulent charges to your checking account.

That's why I bank at Bank of America, now. The last time someone used my debit card, they credited me the money the next day.

o8xh7.jpg

This won't even affect most people.... Plus fraudulent purchases are covered under consumer credit protection.

People are freaking out way too hard.

And uhhhh.... Disturbing post above me?

This won't even affect most people.... Plus fraudulent purchases are covered under consumer credit protection.

Sorry about that.

There are certain kinds of people in this world that seem to think that mockery deserves brutality.
If you can't be polite and a decent human being, you might want to consider getting off the internet.

Actually, debit card users have a lot to fear. Those credit protections do not apply to them and it can take awhile to get your rent money back (if you get it back at all) if it gets stolen.

As someone pointed out, these numbers will be sold to others who will use them. And it will be a huge hassle for many.

I just wonder; for the Target Debit Card, since the number on the card is basically useless except at Target, are they able to extract the routing and account numbers from the information they have?

Spot isn't saying, but I don't think so. I really think they only got our names, account number, expiration date and security code as they said.

REDCards won't be as valuable on the black market because they can only be used at Spot. (REDCard Visas not included in that statement, obviously). And without the pin, the debit card is useless. But it only takes a good computer program to go through all the combinations to find the right one. In a couple of days when I can get through to the REDCard people, I will have them reissue my debit card in a new number, just to be safe.

In a couple of days when I can get through to the REDCard people, I will have them reissue my debit card in a new number, just to be safe.

This is why there's no reason to freak out and cancel accounts (Red card or otherwise). Just monitor accounts and billing statements. Get issued new cards with new numbers. Problem solved. You'd think no one ever lost their card before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back