Archived Late 15 Minute Break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Net

At my store, we get a 2 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch for 8-hour shifts. Occasionally, some people put off their last break for the last 15 minutes before clocking out. That doesn't sound right, but the LOD usually doesn't have a problem with it.

I tried to pull that today and our HR person said I couldn't do that, that breaks needed to be taken a full hour before the end of my shift, and that I should just clock out now since she doesn't want me sitting in the break room. I know about the hour rule for closing the store, but I wasn't closing. My shift ended in the middle of the day and my work was completely done. It was also 16 minutes before the end of my shift, which felt like I was leaving too early.

I waited until it was 9 minutes before the end of my shift before clocking out just to be safe(r), but is that really a Target policy?

Last edited:
Depends on the store. Your store, or HR, seems like she cares. My store you can take your 15 min break 15 min before you clock out..some people frown upon it but who cares? Makes no difference if you're taking your 15min break 3 hours before you leave or 15 min before you leave. 15 min is 15 min.

In our store the flow team combines their fifteens into a thirty that they take after their shift. It's actually tacked onto the end of their shift so they're past schedule every day sitting in the breakroom. I don't know if anyone else takes a break for the actual last fifteen minutes of their shift. I have occasionally with nothing said but not regularly.

We have a lot of structure around breaks/meals. Since we're E2E, it's all about coverage on the floor and being available for the Guest. We make sure our Team has separate breaks/meals; we want/need someone on the floor at all times. It's critical that the TMs "announce" when they'll be off the floor, so we can maintain coverage and service in their absence. I would probably go a little ape-shit crazy (honestly, A LOT of ape-shit crazy) if all my TMs decided they'd go on their last 15 at the end of their shift. Nope. Not happening. But that's just me. ;)

It happens but not on the regular. Sorry you can let me sit for my last 15 or you can just tack it on the to end of my shift either way I am getting paid for both. Our HR hates that, then I remind her that if we had decent coverage I wouldn't have to babysit the people packing boxes.

We have a lot of structure around breaks/meals. Since we're E2E, it's all about coverage on the floor and being available for the Guest. We make sure our Team has separate breaks/meals; we want/need someone on the floor at all times. It's critical that the TMs "announce" when they'll be off the floor, so we can maintain coverage and service in their absence. I would probably go a little ape-shit crazy (honestly, A LOT of ape-shit crazy) if all my TMs decided they'd go on their last 15 at the end of their shift. Nope. Not happening. But that's just me. ;)

I understand that, but we did have adequate coverage. I wasn't scheduled off until 6:30 PM, most of the evening crew team members had already arrived. The area the Leads had me working at the time, toys, actually had 2 other people in it when I decided to stop acting like I was busy.

I'm one of those people that absolutely MUST and WILL take my first 15 2-3 hours into my shift. I'll take my half usually 30 minutes before compliance. I take my last 15 if I can, usually I do towards the end of my shift. My LODs and HR don't mind at all, as long as we got our work done, and we do.

Today I worked 7am-3:30pm, took my first fifteen at 10:15am, took my lunch at 12pm, and then took my last fifteen at 3:15pm. I get a lot of my work done between 12pm-3pm so I don't take my break until I can. If I don't, I don't care staying an extra 15 minutes for my break after my shift is over(still clocked in, of course) because after all, they are paid breaks, and I won't let the store just take my paid breaks from me.

Unless I have something else to do after work and I haven't taken my 15 yet, I'll take it at 3:30 and stay until 3:45.

In our store the flow team combines their fifteens into a thirty that they take after their shift. It's actually tacked onto the end of their shift so they're past schedule every day sitting in the breakroom.
Wouldn't this absolutely destroy payroll? That's 30min extra payroll used per person per day. If I'm understanding correctly.

Do all Target stores receive the same handbook? If so it's clearly stated there that you cannot combine meals/rest breaks, nor can you save rest breaks until the end of your shift. Not all stores enforce this policy though. I personally don't like it when TMs take their last 15 during the last 15 minutes of their shifts. I'm not going to fight it though because that's the culture I came into when I started at my store.

In our store the flow team combines their fifteens into a thirty that they take after their shift. It's actually tacked onto the end of their shift so they're past schedule every day sitting in the breakroom. I don't know if anyone else takes a break for the actual last fifteen minutes of their shift. I have occasionally with nothing said but not regularly.

Yeah that right there is ridiculous. You're 15 has to happen during your shift, not after. If I ever caught my TMs doing that I'd put them on a Final.

Technically we aren't supposed to.
I know TMs who do it every day, though.

Ive done it here and there when I'm not GSAing, but I spend my entire shift moving around my store at a trot, getting ish done.

The only hard and fast rule I know for that at my store is you can't take them back to back. So, you can't take two fifteens back to back, or a fifteen and a lunch, or a lunch and two fifteens, or a fifteen and a lunch and then a fifteen... you get it. Has to be broken up.

I get the impression that as long as it doesn't become a problem then it's not a problem. Like I said I've done it, but its usually when I'm doing audit for the LOD or something like that, trying to finish a task for them.

There are TMs that do it every day and no one bats a lash. I always feel a little guilty doing it, but, my leadership just shrugs it off. So I don't know why I stress. Lol.

I understand not wanting it to be taken the last 15 minutes of your shift, but the last hour seems dumb.

I worked 7-3 yesterday, I took my first 15 at 10:30, my 30 at 12:45, and then I got back around 1:20, did a cart of a stray and then was called to cover a 15 in electronics. He didn’t get back until after 2, how the hell would I have taken my last break within that hour?

My store doesn’t really seem to mind no matter what, I have taken my break for the last 15 minutes before, I just say ‘This is HLN13, I’ll be off the floor my last 15 and then the day’, and LOD always responds with ‘Thanks HLN13! Have a good break and rest of your day!’

Must be a ASANTS thing.

Wouldn't this absolutely destroy payroll? That's 30min extra payroll used per person per day. If I'm understanding correctly.
Yeah that right there is ridiculous. You're 15 has to happen during your shift, not after. If I ever caught my TMs doing that I'd put them on a Final.

Trust me, I agree. It impresses me on the days they're given their break before their shift ends. I can understand if it's one 15 if it just happens occasionally. But not 30 almost daily.

Last edited:
The only hard and fast rule I know for that at my store is you can't take them back to back.
When it's q-4 and superbusy and I can't get anyone to relieve me for a break, I'll take four 5 minute breaks - in my truck with the cart pusher sitting next to me.

Four breaks, you say? YES! That's my penalty to Spot for making me take short-ass breaks!

When it's q-4 and superbusy and I can't get anyone to relieve me for a break, I'll take four 5 minute breaks - in my truck with the cart pusher sitting next to me.

Four breaks, you say? YES! That's my penalty to Spot for making me take short-ass breaks!

Those are rookie numbers, you gotta pump those numbers up!

aaf_shifty.gif

Do all Target stores receive the same handbook? If so it's clearly stated there that you cannot combine meals/rest breaks, nor can you save rest breaks until the end of your shift. Not all stores enforce this policy though. I personally don't like it when TMs take their last 15 during the last 15 minutes of their shifts. I'm not going to fight it though because that's the culture I came into when I started at my store.

Also can wear any solid color pants according to the handbook, but some stores frown upon anything other than khaki

I’ve seen TMs do it at my store and get in trouble for it. A TM who has worked at my store much longer than me told me she has seen people in the past get fired for it, so I just don’t take my 15 if it’s cutting it close.

I still don't see where it makes a flipping difference, but I'm insane in the membrane. Like I said, as long as their tasks were complete by the end of the shift...
gMscglN.gif

If your shift ends at 3:30 and you are done with everything at 3:15 you are losing pay if you clock out without taking your break....you are paid for breaks, not for lunch. You have to clock out for lunch and back in when finished.

Every once in awhile it ends up that TMs take their break during their last 15 minutes of the shift....while leadership doesn't like it, they do realize that sometimes the break has to be taken at the end of the shift.

So, getting back to the time of leaving at 3:15 instead of 3:30.....leaving at 3:15 means that that is when you stop getting paid and therefore don't get the 15 minute break. Leaving at 3:15 means that you've given Spot your time.

The OP, if they'd have left when HR said to go then the OP might have gotten talked to for leaving early.....and if OP had clocked out when HR said then OP would not have gotten paid for the second break....again letting Spot take advantage of time worked. OP was smart to wait for 9 more minutes....but still missed 7 minutes of break pay.

You are entitled to two PAID 15 minute breaks. It doesn’t matter when you take them, you deserve them. I would love for someone to try to fire me for taking mine at the last 15 minutes of my shift after working 2-3 hours straight because I know there’s barely any coverage and I want my area to be good as long as possible. Would fight any HR TM who told me I needed to just clock out

You are entitled to two PAID 15 minute breaks. It doesn’t matter when you take them, you deserve them. I would love for someone to try to fire me for taking mine at the last 15 minutes of my shift after working 2-3 hours straight because I know there’s barely any coverage and I want my area to be good as long as possible. Would fight any HR TM who told me I needed to just clock out

No one's trying to take away your 15 minute breaks. Just don't take them in the last 15 minutes of your shift. Agreed, no one should try to make you clock out early instead of taking your 15 but I would fully support writing you up for waiting that long to take your break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back