Archived Likelihood of Getting a Raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang. I am a Perishables Assistant at my store, and I am always given more tasks than the other PAs, always cover for the TL when they are not there, do tasks meant for the TL, and am generally seen as a future TL by both my peers and higher ups. I am happy to have extra responsibilities and help out where I can. However, I recently found out new team members are being started at a higher rate than state minimum (some as high as a dollar), and I don't even make two dollars over state minimum (and that includes yearly raises and raise to PA).

As I said I am happy to help, but at this point I feel like I am being taken advantage of, especially since I get extra tasks and expectations because of how they view me on top of the already daunting job of working in Pfresh. Should I ask for a raise, or is that out of the question? Does Target even give raises outside of promotions/evaluations?

Thanks for any and all input.

Have I heard of it happening? Yes. Do I think it's remotely likely? Not really. Target holds its wallet very tightly. They thrive off of those who desire to promote and are willing to put in extra work in hopes to reach the carrot.

I would like to say it can't hurt to ask.
I have to use the caveat that the words slim and none really should have been in there someplace.

Yearly raises and promotions is only way to get more money and they only give you a scaled raise..I have heard of people getting huge raises to be a lead but at like the worst store locations and its so bad that even with that big boost in pay they quit within months... yearly raises is determined by corp and your bosses make your review reflect what they are told.. they can go higher but if you get the big bonus someone gets the shaft.. but there's a little wiggle room there (psst... most people that get promoted get the big bonus because why would they say someone they promoted that year was bad at all?)

At my store your hard work would be rewarded with more work and responsibility, maybe a t-shirt. But an unscheduled pay raise, ha good luck! Maybe in 14 years you'll make your way up to ETL.

I've tried promoting my hard workers, TM to TL , TL to SrTL, or SrTL to ETL but it never panned out. This is the only way to get a pay raise at our store and our store didn't do well with promoting from within. My HR told me pay raises outside of yearly evaluations were out of the question.

Never ask for a raise. That is an ultimatum. Target does not do ultimatums. Just accept what you get and accept it. No point fighting it.

I only hear about unscheduled pay-raises when an ETL's golden child tries to submit a 2 week notice

There are a lot of TMs who deserve an unscheduled raise, especially TMs who perform TL duties without complaint. For TMs who wanted to become TLs, I would have them shadow a TL and at times they would run the flow process for one of the floors. I would then advocate for them to become TLs (Flow or otherwise) because they show leadership characteristics. Some became TLs at our store, some I got jobs at other local Targets. I had one TM (hard worker, accounting degree (international student), loved by all) who didn't get a well deserved promotion because my STL thought that she needed to improve on her English. She recently came to the US and spoke well enough to direct the flow team/or any team in the store. I wish I could have given her the promotion/pay-grade she deserved. All I could do is offer her gift cards to restaurants, Target, movies, etc. Not an ideal way to recognize performance but she didn't have to worry about buying food, which always helps.

from my experience, be a tl and use experience as reason. there's no "you're better than the rest" pay raise. annually, you'll get a decent raise, that's insanse considering its an annual. cashiers at my store get 7 cents. they just get marked down for whatever to justify it.

from my experience, be a tl and use experience as reason. there's no "you're better than the rest" pay raise. annually, you'll get a decent raise, that's insanse considering its an annual. cashiers at my store get 7 cents. they just get marked down for whatever to justify it.

7 cents?

Remind to never go to your store. I got $0.57 raise in my first year as a cashier. Random $0.35 raise out of the blue (not min wage related), and then $0.22 raise at review.

When are reviews supposed to be? i have been there for over a year and I can only remember 1 at my 6 months.

When are reviews supposed to be? i have been there for over a year and I can only remember 1 at my 6 months.

May I believe. I started in April, so no raise that May, but think it was May this year, and as far as I recall it's then for everyone, not staggered throughout the year based on when you started.

What the hail is a perishables assistant?

Back to raises, you only get one a year unless you move up in the Umbrella Corporation. That means it doesn't matter how hard you work because you only have chance of having your pay increased and it's usually April or May. And the reviews are rigged so your store can only give out a handful of outstanding scores so ETLs and the STL and other big dogs get bonuses as the end of the year.

Raises are once a year or if you move up or go to a higher pay grade for a different position. At Target, you don't ask for raises. You just hope and pray that you get some crumbs from the kings and queens in April or May.

Yep... As hardlines I got told how great I was doing all the time, and then the review/raise was nine cents. Or it would have been 9 cents except that my old ETL HR who interviewed me for HRTM managed to put the HR raise in before the yearly review raise and somehow I got a 62 cent raise on top of my new HR paygrade. I got the review and the two different raise sheets from my hardlines TL and immediately went into the HR office to confirm I really was getting the larger raise.

Bless her heart. That ETL HR sure did love me. I'm still not sure how she managed to slip that raise by and have it stick. Apparently my new ETL HR did get an email questioning my raise from I don't know who a few months after it kicked in.

I've never heard of or seen anyone get a random raise... But if you're going up a paygrade, just hope it happens before reviews/merit raises!

7 cents?

Remind to never go to your store. I got $0.57 raise in my first year as a cashier. Random $0.35 raise out of the blue (not min wage related), and then $0.22 raise at review.
the seven cents is the norm at my store, my first review was 6 cents then 8 and on the most recent one a whopping 11. rolling in the dough man I'm telling ya whooboy (dripping with sarcasm)

I've never heard of or seen anyone get a random raise... But if you're going up a paygrade, just hope it happens before reviews/merit raises!
I was actually given a 50 cent raise for going from Flow to Backroom because they liked how I got things done back there

7 cents?

yeah i wanted to quit after that, just with hours worked i was lazy to spend the time applying for tons of rejection when i can pay my bills. i didn't want to go to another retail position and the team was awesome at the time.

i got marked down for not writing enough vibe cards. i said i had no opportunity to do so on the clock. i don't observe other team members having amazing moments. didn't do enough. i clocked out early a ton. wtf? i never leave early. i clock out exactly as i'm scheduled. oh its your closing shifts that you're scheduled to past closing but you got everything done so you had nothing to do after all clear. this got me a 7 cent raise. for a year.

we cannot get anyone to hire in our area at $8.00/hr and long timers are quitting and going elswhere.
Other comapnies down the road are paying $10-12/hr just to start. And mom and pop in our area give their kids 150 to 200 a week just to keep them happy and they pay their cell phone bills and free room and board and free food. So those kids are not looking for a job. We have hired on 13 people in the last 2 weeks, I bet 10 of them quit before black friday. It is 100 times worse this year than last year in hiring seasonal help. Backroom/flow had 7 people quit in the last 7 days, lol.

I started off as cashier and at my review I only received a $0.06 raise although I had been cross-trained and shifted to primarily working electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back