Archived Low Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is payroll getting even worse? I know it's been low, but only 9.5 in my new schedule. They've been calling me in early, and asking me to stay late a lot recently. My wife says maybe they know yer so flexible they're using you as a top call in and abusing my flexibility. I dunno, I just worry they don't like me as much as I thought. Is it just payroll is so low now? I had been getting at least 17-20. This new schedule makes 7 days off in a row.

Is payroll getting even worse? I know it's been low, but only 9.5 in my new schedule. They've been calling me in early, and asking me to stay late a lot recently. My wife says maybe they know yer so flexible they're using you as a top call in and abusing my flexibility. I dunno, I just worry they don't like me as much as I thought. Is it just payroll is so low now? I had been getting at least 17-20. This new schedule makes 7 days off in a row.
Pay roll has been shit for my store as well. Its usually around 25-29 though for hours. Some people who are lucky TMs will get dedicated 32+ (35+ for regular season)

Yes payroll is bad for All stores right now. If you are not cross trained in other workcenters, I strongly suggest you try to and also ask to be Paradox. It really isn't about being liked or disliked, honestly it's about the "needs" of the business. If you aren't useful for one of Spot's many different work areas, you will be scheduled the "bare" minimum.

Cross-training takes.... payroll though. Hard to accomplish in an low hours cycle. The cross training needed to be something you held already.

Also don't forget you were hired as a seasonal employee. Which means your priority for hours is low. Most of my stores seasonal are still getting between 1 or 2 four hour shifts for 4 to 8 hours a week so just know it could be worse.

You said it already you have been able to extend and pickup shifts so don't take it personally and keep hustling for shifts

Be lucky you are getting SOME hours... 3 weeks running and no shifts... I wonder what this new schedule will bring.
However, I am not in need of the hours, as Spot is a second job for me. But I do not remember from the past 4 years being THIS bad, even being cross-trained in like 5 work centers...
But hey, just extra time off I don't have to request.
C'est la vie...

I guess, would be ok to ask somebody in management about it when I go in tonight? Just ask is it something performance related...or is it just my week for low hours (I'll see what my fellow hardlines tm's got when I check the paper schedule tonight).

If it were performance related they -should- have talked to you about it. It's more likely that like HRZone said, you were hired seasonally so more hours tend to go to people that have been around longer or are already trained to do other workcenters/tasks. It's a good sign if they're asking you to stay longer, or at least it would be at my store. Hours will go up a little more soon, but won't be super great until towards BTS.

I'm definitely going to see if I can pick up a shift or two, and try to start early/stay late on the days I did get.

From another thread:
I'm sure you've already been doing this but - keep an eye on the swap shift board to grab any that come open, also keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your cell phone ON.
I used to swing by my store after dropping the kids off at school to see if they'd had any call-outs; picked up an avg of 2 shifts a week during those times.

redeye58

I agree that it's not bad everywhere.

Some stores are really equal with hours so everyone gets 20-30 hours. Some stores give their veterans 30-40 so the newer folks like paradox get 1 or 2 shifts.

As I remember paradox was originally passed over for a job but he called the store after his application was denied and hustled for a job interview. He got hired and now he's hustling for hours.

Target is one of those jobs that the strong survive. We have a TM who helps her husband make a mortgage payment. She jumps on every open shift and goes from 24 to 40 every week. If you don't take no for an answer you can make it!

~78.6 hours per Flow Truck for schedule just written. The non-truck day 2 people scheduled for Flow plus the ETL log to clear the push, so afraid of call outs scheduled our best people on those days just to make sure. Q4 we were using 95 hours a truck and boy do we miss that.

Btw for those who can't figure it out. For me that means 6 hours for Flow TL, 72 hours for TMs or 18 TMs at 4 hours a pop. Just hope we don't get the truck we had just a few days ago, 2500 piece truck with 280 repack. Nothing quite like explaining, "No we wont finish the truck; no not even close; Can I please use 15 hours so we can attempt to get almost clean? We have a truck tomorrow and It would suck so much to roll over freight."

Btw the way I knew a crafty TM would learn new workcenters. They would swap shifts with people from workcenters they didn't know then ask those people what they do and how they do it and fuddled their way around the job. They knew just enough about the backroom, and my devices and were already casher trained that they could fill in the blanks well enough to not just get chewed out for taking shifts they were not ready for.

Last edited:
No it's not. You can't really speak for ALL stores.
I apologize, I can't speak for All stores, but the stores in my district and from what I've read about some of my peeps here on TBR, THEY are in need of more payroll. Another reason I said ALL stores is that stock of SPOT is down and to my knowledge, that would affect All stores to some degree.

Hours are pretty bad. We only had 3 hardlines team members last night that worked 7-11:30

~78.6 hours per Flow Truck for schedule just written. The non-truck day 2 people scheduled for Flow plus the ETL log to clear the push, so afraid of call outs scheduled our best people on those days just to make sure. Q4 we were using 95 hours a truck and boy do we miss that.

Btw for those who can't figure it out. For me that means 6 hours for Flow TL, 72 hours for TMs or 18 TMs at 4 hours a pop. Just hope we don't get the truck we had just a few days ago, 2500 piece truck with 280 repack. Nothing quite like explaining, "No we wont finish the truck; no not even close; Can I please use 15 hours so we can attempt to get almost clean? We have a truck tomorrow and It would suck so much to roll over freight."

Btw the way I knew a crafty TM would learn new workcenters. They would swap shifts with people from workcenters they didn't know then ask those people what they do and how they do it and fuddled their way around the job. They knew just enough about the backroom, and my devices and were already casher trained that they could fill in the blanks well enough to not just get chewed out for taking shifts they were not ready for.

And this is the actual cause of the problem with what Target is doing right now. They are dividing up the payroll for working freight more and more. The Grocery Transition and MyTime updates coming down are calling for almost NO hours in the Trailer Unload itself, and allocating hours into Market for Dry Grocery Freight, Meat for FDC, Softlines for Racks etc...

The problem with this is that the trucks are not consistent. The FDC size varies greatly day to day. When its all in one bucket as "Flow" and the team works as a wave, it doesn't really matter what is getting hit hard because a good flow team as a whole will just wave through it or be trained in repacks/softlines and be able to go held out. I got two doubles in a row over Q4 with this rollout, the first was a seasonal final push so ALL the freight went to GM and my team of 20 got crushed. Next day it was all grocery and the little market team got crushed....

Before the last week in Feb we were down almost 100k due to ridiculous forecasts for the Saturday before valentine's day. But the last week we crushed every goal by over 20k so we dug ourselves out. But we are still getting killed on hours, since it's a new month.

Cross-training takes.... payroll though. Hard to accomplish in an low hours cycle. The cross training needed to be something you held already.
We use the hours from the swap shift board to cross train, basically take a shift, the hours are already there and we will train you,

So yeah...paper schedule was different. 23 hours, which includes an 8 hour cashier shift ;) So...that was weird. I guess I need to stop trusting the online schedule ;)

Lowest I had for hours this season was a 14 hour week, which i picked up 6 hours on a cashier call out anyways. I've been averagine 28-33 hours. I've got 34.5 on this new schedule. I'm only working hardlines shifts aswell, so I must be doing something right if I'm getting this many hours. I don't know if any of the other HLTM's are getting this many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back