COVID-19 Mask Patrol

I wasn't sure which thread was the best one to put this information in but I got it from a group I belong to called 'Quit Your Bullshit And Put On A Mask' so here made as much sense as any.

There are three new studies that have found ways that Covid-19 travels really fast.
If you are like me when you read the article you're going to think "Shit, that makes perfect sense. Why the hell didn't I think of that?" (Well maybe without cursing.)
So, yeah mask up.

I wasn't sure which thread was the best one to put this information in but I got it from a group I belong to called 'Quit Your Bullshit And Put On A Mask' so here made as much sense as any.

There are three new studies that have found ways that Covid-19 travels really fast.
If you are like me when you read the article you're going to think "Shit, that makes perfect sense. Why the hell didn't I think of that?" (Well maybe without cursing.)
So, yeah mask up.

I've done the "flush-and-run" for years after reading an article about aerosols being released by toilets. At home I always close the lid, though I can't get my husband to do the same. So stubborn!

Why are masks such a big deal? I understand that the mask-deniers are in a snit about "government telling them what to do." But government tells us to do all kinds of things - pay property taxes (just paid mine so it's top of mind), wear shoes, stop for red lights, be of legal age to buy alcohol. It's a very long list. Is this the thing that made them jump off the edge?
I mutter "idiot" behind my mask a lot.

Tribalism. Seriously. It's not about the mask, it's about identity with a group. If you're into podcasts, the You are Not So Smart podcast did a long episode on masks, which was pretty interesting. 185 - Masks - You Are Not So Smart - Omny.fm - https://omny.fm/shows/you-are-not-so-smart/185-masks

Friend of mine who works at another store went in for their shift and saw a guest services person at the mask table.

ONE cleaning person had been scheduled for the first couple hours and had been pulled to do floor stuff because that department's hours had been gutted. NOBODY was cleaning carts for the first three hours or so.

Similar stuff is happening in my store, too. I hate walking into a disaster like that because if I were to leave carts alone I'd get torn one even if I was helping somewhere else that needed it. Cleaning is cleaning, we shouldn't be yanked because the hours have been cut elsewhere. I was under the impression we were supposed to CLEAN (and hand out masks, because that's classified under the Cleaning area), and nothing else, per corporate's edict? I wouldn't like to get reamed because they're pulling last ditch efforts to get work done despite hour cuts.

Corporate makes their own bed wrt cleaning hours when they don't actually give stores more money for cleaning hours but insist hours be cut elsewhere when they were already bare bones due to modernization.

Corporate makes their own bed wrt cleaning hours when they don't actually give stores more money for cleaning hours but insist hours be cut elsewhere when they were already bare bones due to modernization.

Which is great when the cleaning folks need breaks or lunches. I've seen GSAs doing our breaks because no one else was available

Love it! Wish I could wear it...

On another note, I said this elsewhere but figured I'd say it here too. It is now AP's job to staff the mask table. I am consigned to an eternity of cart wiping duty. No more looking forward to maybe getting to be on the mask table once in a while to get away from the carts.

I want to leave the carts, but they will not let me /dramatic sigh

Ugh, that sucks. I mean, it's probably the easiest job in the store, all things considered, but also the longest shift because it's bo-ring.

Ugh, that sucks. I mean, it's probably the easiest job in the store, all things considered, but also the longest shift because it's bo-ring.

Ain't that the truth! I'm glad to not have the constant pressure of pushing Uboats (a no-win situation if ever there was one) but these are the longest shifts ever. I check my phone several times an hour just to see the time passing by because it sure doesn't feel like it does. In the first couple hours it's dead and I do a lot of standing around and wiping carts I already wiped because managers are walking by...and if I don't, I'll probably hear about it in some way.

And no playing with my phone, ever. Cashiers do it, guest services do it, even the AP at the mask table does it, but I have nothing to hide the phone behind to even read a paragraph. I hate nothing as much as I hate boredom...

Divert their attention, turn 90 deg draw back and sucker punch the asshole right in their $25,000 venerred teeth. Seriously try to avoid all physical confrontation. (as serious as the Captain can get). Even if you are absolutely 100% in the right and ManKaren throws a punch you will lose your job. Let witnesses help, use the legal system to the max and sue the shit head for every penny you can get.

My sarcasm went unnoticed. Again. You attempt to defuse the crazy one, just walk away and don't engage. If they lay a hand on you get the AP involved immediately. They know how to handle it. Preserving your job and your safety is #1.

I still think Spot needs to actively recruit some of the bouncers from the clubs that are closed now to work the door.
They will simply glare at anyone who walks in without a mask and say, "Here's your mask."
If the person refuses they will calmly explain the persons options of getting curb service or having what they want delivered to their home, because that's what the fucking ADA means by offering accommodations.
If they decide to be assholes then these guys are trained to deescalate but if that doesn't work to bounce people on their asses.
Be done with their fucking bullshit and you guys don't have to take your lives in your hands.
When dealing with angry dicks hire professionals.

I returned after a 60 day LOA. There was 100% mask compliance by both employees and guests. That was great. I was working self check out and I had multiple guest not even giving me one foot let alone 4-6 ft when I had to log onto the SCO to fix a double scan or price difference on no price listed. Seriously they were close enough that I could feel their warmth and when I asked them to give me some room to work they would take maybe a 6 inch step away from me. There isn't room to give an extra 6 ft because that would put them into someone elses 6 ft but there is room to give 2-3 ft.

Back