Archived MEAL COMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I'm a newbie so here we go) I was informed today that on this past Monday I made meal compliance by 2 mins for helping a guest and that morning I clocked in five minutes early! My question is, are there any more meal compliances waiting to bite me in the butt from after Monday? I normally clock in before my shift a few minutes early and I guess I lose track of how long I've been working. I'm just really scared they might stumble upon another from this week or was the information they provided what was currently up to date? Or maybe the system is slow to show them who made meal compliance? I'm kinda freaking out and all over the place...

Do you think there are any more surprises like "oh also looks like Tuesday or Wednesday you made meal comp. Too" or would that have been presented to me today as well?

It is so hard to explain through text but I will try my best here, he showed me a sheet of paper that said on Monday you went 6 hours and 2 mins without a lunch while I was on my way over to clock out before 6 hours I was stopped by a guest and even upon saying "I am off duty right now I will find a team member of mine to help you out" I was late for clocking in early that morning! I am just worried that what he presented me today wasn't all that there was, say the system was slow and he comes to find out I had one or two more I was unaware of this week or something! Kinda paranoid now haha

It is so hard to explain through text but I will try my best here, he showed me a sheet of paper that said on Monday you went 6 hours and 2 mins without a lunch while I was on my way over to clock out before 6 hours I was stopped by a guest and even upon saying "I am off duty right now I will find a team member of mine to help you out" I was late for clocking in early that morning! I am just worried that what he presented me today wasn't all that there was, say the system was slow and he comes to find out I had one or two more I was unaware of this week or something! Kinda paranoid now haha
They should run a daily report. So as long as you clocked out for lunch on time that day you should be good.

Stay under 5 hours & 45 minutes.

Next time don't cut it so close; allow time to get there with interruptions.
It's your responsibility to watch your time & every time it happens it's a mark against your store.
If it happens again, you could expect a coaching but ASANTS (all stores are not the same).

Thank you all so much! Really relieves alot of what I was worried about! I have a plan now, set a stop watch at the same time I clock in and look every so often!

If you don't even know if you hit compliance on other days this week, then you have been cutting it way to close.

Try to go to lunch at the start of the 5th hour (or at least start to wrap up what you're doing).

Wearing a stopwatch should definitely help :)

So you can go on lunch any time really? Or does it have to be exactly 5 and a half hours like it states here?

So you can go on lunch any time really? Or does it have to be exactly 5 and a half hours like it states here?
You can go anytime you want (unless you are in a department where you need someone to relieve you before going). You must go before hitting compliance (which sounds like it's at 6 hours in your state).

It is recommended that you take your lunch long before you would hit compliance so that you are not running for the time clock at the last minute.

This whole "compliance" thing is because Target does not want to get sued for forcing employees to work long periods with no meal break.

Having a watch is a good idea, but you probably grab a MyDevice at the beginning of your shift, and those can be set to have a alarm when your approaching lunch time. :)

Thank you all so much! Really relieves alot of what I was worried about! I have a plan now, set a stop watch at the same time I clock in and look every so often!
I set alarms and allow for "guest safaris".
"Excuse me could you take me to the furthest corner of the store for an obscure item I am not sure I want..."

Gosh, I live in a 6 hour state. What is so hard about clocking out for lunch at the 5 hour mark? Or five hour 30 minute if your back room. People seriously need to use a calculator or something to figure out?

6 hr state here.
I couldn't go any earlier than when my mid arrived (usually around the 4 hr mark).
But if she brought a rush of guests behind her, I usually had to stay until the rush died down.
It was worse if we had a promo like Frappy Hour going on.
I had more than one instance where I was barreling past everyone to the time clock.
And people tend to get out of the way of a short, fat broad clocking 70.

I live in a state that does not have any meal requirements for adults. They are quite specific about minors. I'm sick to death of hearing that it's the law. It isn't in our state. Tell me it's a Target policy, but quit spreading this ridiculous lie. Our labor standards read "Employers are encouraged, but not required, to provide breaks of at least 30 minutes in duration at times reasonably close to the usual meal period. Such matters are to be determined directly between the employer and the employee." Now get off my back and quit giving me 5-1/2 hour shifts.

I'll never understand why they call it meal compliance. Isn't it really meal non-compliance???
Just like when they refer to the blood alcohol content as "the legal limit".
wtf?
It's the legal definition of intoxication.

On an unrelated note, if that is you in your pic may I recommend removing it or changing it to a non-identifying image. Spot does not like this site & it would be wise to go totally anonymous here, until such time when you are no longer employed with the company.

Most positions in the store have their breaks and meals mapped out before shifts begin. This is for the purpose of not leaving the sales floor or specific areas without coverage. Without knowing your position it is hard to say, but I'm a bit surprised nobody in leadership isn't confirming regularly that people have been taking their breaks regularly throughout the day so there is no times of short coverage.

As a Cashier I was late for my meals many many times. I got coached also but I was NOT allowed to leave because their was not enough coverage and way too many guests, I really don't think it was fair to have a coaching for something that was NOT my fault

Here's what I don't understand....they keep telling us, "you HAVE to clock out before the 5th hour or you're out of compliance," but our state law does NOT say that. When I asked (because I knew our state law), I was told "ALL Target stores follow Minnesota state law, which is the most strict of all states." Now, I'm seeing some of y'all are saying 5.5, 5.75, 6. WTH?!?!?!

I've been out of compliance before because I had to leave BEFORE 2pm & I was the only one in the pharmacy. The tech who went before me left at 1:15, so she should have been back in PLENTY of time for me to go. She didn't get back until 2:05! Happened more than once :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back