MEGATHREAD myDay app

Oh wait I meant to say I don't like increasing the on hand count to capacity lol, oops.
Is the capacity correct? Is it full? Then bump up the floor count to capacity and it won't come back out. You're not messing anything up.
If the on hands are incorrect, that's different.

Target Ledger tracks the following (possibly more, but I can't see from home. also may have got the acronyms wrong):
  • SFQ: Sales Floor Quantity
  • SFC: Sales Floor Capacity
  • BRQ: Backroom Quantity
  • ULQ: Unlocated Quantity = AOH - BRQ - SFQ
  • HOH: In Hold Quantity- OH in FF batches or stowed in Hold Locations
  • AOH: Available On-Hands = TOH - HOH
  • TOH: Total On-Hands. Although it is theoretically the sum of all the others, it calculated based on receipt of inventory, POS transactions, Inventory Removals, Inventory Audits, and Price Change Final/Salvage transactions, as well as AIC, or automatic inventory corrections.
I do store wide inventory audits 5 days a week, and I have generally found SFQ to be much more accurate than I would have expected, so long as freight and processes are running relatively smoothly for the given department. High volume items have their SFQ corrected every time we receive and push more than the SFC, as the SFQ will become capped at the SFC, and the remainder gets backstocked.

I see the most discrepancies in areas like Kitchen/Small apps with low capacities, which means their margin for error is higher.

I am inclined to wanting to believe that capacities are unnecessary, but I think it would be a challenging argument to make without data to support the benefits of an alternative system.

On a somewhat related note: If anyone has ideas on improvements to the user interface of "fill and backstock" within myDay, I am curious about what you would change.

Target Ledger tracks the following (possibly more, but I can't see from home. also may have got the acronyms wrong):
  • SFQ: Sales Floor Quantity
  • SFC: Sales Floor Capacity
  • BRQ: Backroom Quantity
  • ULQ: Unlocated Quantity = AOH - BRQ - SFQ
  • HOH: In Hold Quantity- OH in FF batches or stowed in Hold Locations
  • AOH: Available On-Hands = TOH - HOH
  • TOH: Total On-Hands. Although it is theoretically the sum of all the others, it calculated based on receipt of inventory, POS transactions, Inventory Removals, Inventory Audits, and Price Change Final/Salvage transactions, as well as AIC, or automatic inventory corrections.
Is that system as easily accessible as greenfield? Like can anyone sign in and view it? How often does it update: real time? hourly? daily?

It updates in real time, but isn't configurable. It's not as accessible as greenfield because it must be on a Target system.

Item events are given an id code, which is presumably tied to the user or system that performed the event, unfortunately the ledger doesn't display that information.

It updates in real time, but isn't configurable. It's not as accessible as greenfield because it must be on a Target system.

Item events are given an id code, which is presumably tied to the user or system that performed the event, unfortunately the ledger doesn't display that information.
Is our inventory update in real time?

I fill a lot of bulk product and the numbers are off a considered amount frequently.

For example if capacity is 36 and there is maybe 33 I can understand that however times there has been maybe 12 actually there.

Is it just me or is the logic for pulls worse lately?

For instance, an item has a capacity of 12, and 6 are on the floor. In the back are 5 in an openstock waco, and a case of 12 in a casepack location. Before, the pulls would just have you pull the casestock. Now it seems to make you pull the openstock AND the casestock, which makes no sense and is just a waste of time.

Case stock is still a thing at my store.

Of course when you put it up ten feet off the floor it takes longer to pull and back stock.

It's like going out to do your laundry.

I don't take all my dirty laundry to the laundromat then bring half of it home later unwashed.

I only take what I am doing.

casestock.. thought casestock was a thing of the past
It was but it's come back since my BR space was restructured. I hate it because the idiot TMs who pull 1 for 1 batches can't push correctly and then back stock what's over floor capacity. They *flex* it into a nearby empty, or even just partially empty, space.
And this why I really, really try to not back stock whole cases even if that bottom shelf reserved for case stock is completely empty. When I do have to back stock a whole case, I scan it occasionally to see if I should undo it and move whatever's in the case into a waco. Stupid waste of time.

It was but it's come back since my BR space was restructured. I hate it because the idiot TMs who pull 1 for 1 batches can't push correctly and then back stock what's over floor capacity. They *flex* it into a nearby empty, or even just partially empty, space.
And this why I really, really try to not back stock whole cases even if that bottom shelf reserved for case stock is completely empty. When I do have to back stock a whole case, I scan it occasionally to see if I should undo it and move whatever's in the case into a waco. Stupid waste of time.
Your store still does 1 for 1's? We don't even have the option...

"bottom shelf reserved for case stock is completely empty"

I see this a lot. I also think Target tracks case stock separately.

I can not possible pull all the DCPIs in my department.

The time it takes me to pull three DCPIs in casestock up high (which I have to backstock) I could pull six DCPIs down low.

Then again my store doesn't seem to understand basic warehousing.

You DO NOT store heavy and/bulky items high on the shelves.

Your store still does 1 for 1's? We don't even have the option...
Sorry, I misspoke (mistyped?). The 1 for 1 option is still there, but we're not supposed to pull them, just priority batches. However, I know of at least one TM at my store who routinely pulls 1 for 1s because the TM/s who pull the late batches so frequently messes things up when pushing.

To be fair, I think there's been some recent retraining of those TMs because it has been better just lately, at least mostly. We'll see if that's a real trend or just a blip.

When we had a cancelled truck a month or so ago, I took advantage of the unexpected circumstance to get my back room cleaned up. Pulled 1 for 1 batches by aisle, pushed and zoned, scanned for outs, audited my back room. Found quite a few ghosts and baffles. Wish I could keep on top of it like that more often, but that's just a dream.

Last edited:
"bottom shelf reserved for case stock is completely empty"

I see this a lot. I also think Target tracks case stock separately.

I can not possible pull all the DCPIs in my department.

The time it takes me to pull three DCPIs in casestock up high (which I have to backstock) I could pull six DCPIs down low.

Then again my store doesn't seem to understand basic warehousing.

You DO NOT store heavy and/bulky items high on the shelves.
Agreed. The way I had my back room space set up was so much better, but *corporate knows best.* What a crock. I'd really like to know if any of those decision-makers ever worked in a store, actually going into the back room and utilizing the space. If they did, I'd like to know how long ago.
This time of year, with all the January resolution stuff, I'm overloaded with protein shakes. Getting a lot of the large canisters too, but those aren't so heavy. So far, I've been able to avoid putting them on the upper shelves, but I'm quickly running out of space lower down. Sigh.

I don't understand why corporate cares so much about every backroom being exactly how they, who don't even work in a store, want it to be. Guests aren't going to see it so who cares if it's not consistent between stores?
It isn't that they feel every backroom should be the same. But rather, there are very specific predictions about the amount of space that is required for a store of certain volume, with a sales mix with certain percentages. We have numbers related to presentation minimums and appropriate order-to-levels. Given the number of RDC deliveries per week, one can approximate the appropriate amount of backroom space that is needed per department to meet storage needs.

I think its important that HQ is able to approximate this, and give us some guidelines. The fact that they're not perfect is completely understandable. It's a challenging calculation, but the approximations are helpful.

I don't understand why corporate cares so much about every backroom being exactly how they, who don't even work in a store, want it to be. Guests aren't going to see it so who cares if it's not consistent between stores?
Honestly, it’s because they care about efficiency aswell as merch being visible even when it might not be properly located.

TLDR: They pay us. the faster we can pull and do things. the less they have to pay us.

When the changes were made, I was told that corporate wanted consistency from store to store so transferring TMs or TMs from another store helping out temporarily would see right away where stuff was. Um, what? Properly located product would be easily found with the same info on their zebra. The explanation makes no sense to me.
What does make sense is letting the people who use the space all the time set it up. I didn't start from scratch - it was already set up and I worked within that frame, not making drastic changes. The changes I made were things like using medium-size wacos instead of large ones for most of my vitamins and nutrition sections (forcing an avoidance of 10 protein shake packages going in one large waco, which led to busted out fronts of the wacos) and small-size, closed-front wacos for most of the things like little bandaid boxes and cold medicine (forcing an avoidance of having 8 DPCIs or even more in one waco). And I had a few waco-less shelves for bulky, uncased items; started out with using bottom shelves for that purpose, but pretty quickly realized laying down on the floor so I could reach something that had got pushed back was not fun. So I switched those spaces to mid-range shelves. Stuff like that.
But, you know, corporate has to blow things up *just because* they can.

Honestly, it’s because they care about efficiency aswell as merch being visible even when it might not be properly located.

TLDR: They pay us. the faster we can pull and do things. the less they have to pay us.
Sure, but when corporate employees who don't work in a store decide how things should work in stores, things usually get less efficient.

Sure, but when corporate employees who don't work in a store decide how things should work in stores, things usually get less efficient.
Fair, however, corporate TMs pilot these things in smaller stores before making them chainwide because that know that and they also know that some stores are totally different than others, and stores accommodate.

Don't think that Target is dumb enough to push shit out chainwide before testing it.

At a store level, yeah it can suck to work in a store I'm not going to lie to you but at the corporate level, they're leading the retail market in comparison to places like Walmart / Sams Club / BestBuy / Costco.

Back