Archived Need advice regarding something that happened between my TL and I

• Thread starter Pfreshbackroomguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 106
  • Views 14K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Document these events now! Then it report to your etl & etl-hr, without delay. It is suggested to call one of those folks today & give them heads up.
I am sorry to that your ctl voliated the spot social media/off the clock policy to ca level. IMO!
Do it now! The reason is, those documented events on what, who, when & where it happened, is to cover your a--. that tl may try to get you back.
Don't call hotline, either. Talk your mgt first.

Yeah go to HR that is kinda out of line at this point.

However it seems like you have a bit of a communication problem with people and you should really work on it if you want to work effectively as a Team Member. I can understand WHY she is frustrated with you, but her method of contacting you is wrong.

Examples:

You should have told her that you had to shift all the milk around, and it was going to take extra time. This way she knows you are not slacking. Don't say nothing and just assume she "knows".

You didn't communicate you had to leave before the first text incident. Again, don't assume they "know" (even my TLs have asked me to do things 2 mins before I leave, and I've had to speak up)

You left in a pissed off mood after finishing the bananas prior to the first incident.

Okay, I know some TLs can really suck, but I don't think we are getting all of the details here. For one it seems like you have a communication problem based on the kinds of problems you are running into. Keep in mind your TL is a TL, and if you are a low-performing TM, they aren't going to like the fact that you got a TL fired (Even if they were ************ty..). After documenting these events with HR you need to FOCUS on improving yourself. If you do NOT, you are going to keep running into the same problems, just with different TLs (and probably in-store coaching, not texts!). Keep in mind when i say "low-performing" that includes communication; you can be proficient at doing tasks, but be incompetent at your job if you don't communicate properly.

Please keep us updated, I hope that TL gets final/termination. I'm willing to give the TL the benefit of the doubt for the first offense (shrug it off), but the second time in a row shows that she is going to continue making it a habit which is NOT ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is a repeated action. Ask both your HR and STL to have a meeting about some concerns.

With text messages, just forward them to an email address (suggesting not to using your own) just so you can print them out. Or print the messages if you have Print thru Blue Tooth capability.

Photograph the call log info showing your CTLs number with date/time.

You will also need to bring your phone with you to show the your leadership the original messages and call log.

This will give you a printed copy of the original text to give to your leadership to put on record.

As for other documentation, just write down a list of incidents where you feel like the CTL has went against policy, tried to get you do something against policy, or made your uncomfortable; ex. giving you extra assignments at the end of your shift, calling&texting you after you clocked out. And if anyone else was witness to it.

Don't point out simple faults or shorts of your CTL. ex. Not throwing trash out, or finishing her own task.

Since this is a repeated action. Ask both your HR and STL to have a meeting about some concerns.

With text messages, just forward them to an email address (suggesting not to using your own) just so you can print them out. Or print the messages if you have Print thru Blue Tooth capability.

Photograph the call log info showing your CTLs number with date/time.

You will also need to bring your phone with you to show the your leadership the original messages and call log.

This will give you a printed copy of the original text to give to your leadership to put on record.

As for other documentation, just write down a list of incidents where you feel like the CTL has went against policy, tried to get you do something against policy, or made your uncomfortable; ex. giving you extra assignments at the end of your shift, calling&texting you after you clocked out. And if anyone else was witness to it.

Don't point out simple faults or shorts of your CTL. ex. Not throwing trash out, or finishing her own task.

Gtc to you.... Definitely best practice for documenting incidents with HR. Use specific incidents, and don't use baseless allegations like "my team leader is incompetent".

You could remind her that your cell # was to be used for emergencies ONLY or you could say nothing. I wouldn't mention that you plan to meet with the STL & ETL-HR.
As Imerzan suggested, just point out the texting while you were off the clock issue. Acknowledge your mistakes but focus on the policy breach.
As buliSBI suggested, have a print version as well as your cell phone. If you're paranoid like me, keep an extra copy at home.

Printed versions really don't mean anything, since they're easily faked. I would just go in with your phone and show the text messages, since they're time-stamped. The call log will have the times you were called.

Also, going in there with printed copies can put the ETL-HR in a defensive state of mind. It will look like you're providing evidence with the intent of getting the TL fired. Just go in with your phone, explain what happened, and show them the messages. ETL-HR will probably ask you to write up what happened for documentation, but don't go in there with stuff already printed.

Take the printed stuff too. Keep an extra copy for yourself. Be honest & don't let emotions control your talk to etl-hr. Be positive & proactive.
Good luck!

Take a copy of your cell phone bill, that will clearly show her number texting AND calling you after you're off the clock and they're hard to fake...

K1, I never thought of idea. Good one! Gtc to Mamak1! I think that document along printed texts, should be enough proof. I don't text & barely use my cellphone.

Last edited:
To op:
1. Help guests
2. Do your normal tasks, qmos, FIFO, pushing or whatever.
3. Focus on your job & communicate w/others for help.
4. Talk to your etl-hl & etl-hr, both of them today without delay on tl issues.
There may be other tm's who have same issues. I know your stl is out, so talk to your etl-hl & etl-hr. One of these folks is running the store, while the stl is away.

K1, I never thought of idea. Good one! Gtc to Mamak1! I think that document along printed texts, should be enough proof. I don't text & barely use my cellphone.

Thanks...I have had to do this in the past and a simple "spreadsheet" wasn't sufficient. The calls hadn't actually "hit" my bill yet so I looked them up online, sorted the call list by number and did a screen print, which clearly had the cell provider's web info. It worked for my purposes until my bill cycled and I had "official" documentation, so I'm SURE it will be good enough for Spot!

First meeting with HR, just bring your phone. Don't bring any paper or anything else unless your HR requests it. If you go in there like you want to get that TL fired, HR might frown upon it.

Just tell them the whole story (including your mess-up), and ask them if they'd like to see your texting log.

First meeting with HR, just bring your phone. Don't bring any paper or anything else unless your HR requests it. If you go in there like you want to get that TL fired, HR might frown upon it.

Just tell them the whole story (including your mess-up), and ask them if they'd like to see your texting log.

This.

I agreed with imz & sal! Don't let worry control you, you control it. Talk to your etlhl & etl hr, first thing. Be proactive.

you take your phone into HR and let them see that they text you off the clock almost insisting you answer. i cannot imagine why all of your phone numbers should be programed into hers for any kind of emergencies. my store is a big stickler on no work communication when you are punched out. that is grounds for "firing". That is TARGET POLICY!

Good job on staying cool & focus with the events with your hr. Please keep us update! back to work. Nothing can stop you now.

Nicely handled. From this point on keep your head down do your best job. Things should change for the best.

They actually paid you?

Congrats on getting blood from a fried turnip.

They actually paid you?

They'd have to or it would be seen as condoning the behavior. At the very least, tho, that TL may be toast.
Target took its lessons about working off-clock from the class-action lawsuits against Walmart & they over-compensate because it's cheaper than legal action.

Well done! As was said before, now it's time to keep your head down and do your best job.

Sometimes it's hard to make that first move. But it seems that you did the right thing.

I would told that pa, since when are you my boss? If the ctl has let her tell me, not you. Do you keep a clipboard at p-fresh? We do. It used to communicate on what dates to watch on products, issues, or things that the team needs to know, etc.
Sit tight for now & have the popcorn ready for The tl show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back