Archived Need Help! Not Sure What To Do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I was hired on as a seasonal for the hardlines position around 3 weeks ago and so far I am loving the job! But I have a dilemma that I don't know what to do, while reading please keep in mind that I am only 17 years old and this is my first job I have had, so I apologize for lack of experience with issues like this.

Last year I had a family member pass away and my family never decided to have a service, and now for some random reason my entire extended family has decided that for part of Thanksgiving week we are all going away out of town for a couple of days to scatter the remains and finally say goodbye. This is an issue for me because the days I would be missing include thanksgiving and black Friday, and I understand as a seasonal hire I am expected to work those days. Also, this was mentioned in my interview that it may happen, but I did not think it would as my family is a hard group to get together. I have tried to convince my parents to let me stay, but unfortunately, my parents are forcing me to go and there is no changing that. My question is: What do I do? Who do I talk to about this? What do I tell them? Any other advice for my situation?

I am really nervous about my job, any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Cam

That's a bad situation, but like I've always mentioned; Communication is key, please let your TL and ETL-HR know immediately and see what can be done. It's good you recognize you're expected to work holidays, but you will just have to see what you can do.

As a seasonal there's no easy way out of working Thanksgiving or Black Friday, and surely if you just no call no show you're booted, but trust me, communication with your higher ups is key and you might be able to get it off but get told "don't do this again in your 90 days or else you're gone"

I'm sorry, I don't mean to make the 90 days thing sound so serious, but its good to keep in mind, Goodluck!

The only thing you can do is tell HR your situation and TELL THEM NOW. Thanksgiving schedules will be posted this week so time is of the essence. Do NOT dilly-dally.

As a parent of a 17 y/o, I completely understand both your point and your parents' points. However, at the end of the day, your family takes priority and you need to respect their wishes. There will always be other jobs with better timing.

The only thing you can do is tell HR your situation and TELL THEM NOW. Thanksgiving schedules will be posted this week so time is of the essence. Do NOT dilly-dally.

As a parent of a 17 y/o, I completely understand both your point and your parents' points. However, at the end of the day, your family takes priority and you need to respect their wishes. There will always be other jobs with better timing.

Technically the deadline to ask for time off was on Monday so you have some catching up to do here.

First, talk to your etl tomorrow and explain the situation. What they can probably do is minimize how many days you get scheduled but you will get scheduled. That's just reality.

Then the second the black Friday schedule comes out. Grab the grid and find every team member who is not scheduled for each day you are. Ask HR to help you find people to take your shifts.

If you call out on black Friday weekend they may not fire you but your chances of being retained are slim to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back