Archived New employees vs. older employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your read my last post I said that maybe he doesn't. My point being is he assumed that someone with one shift a week was well off who is he to assume. I think we can all agree here that a lot of people don't get by on just target. Maybe their spouse or partner works another job or maybe this is their second job...
He assumed that someone was living at home with their parents when it was the PARENT with grown kids living at home.
But you're right about many TMs having to depend on more than one income; a fair portion of our TMs work a second job & are also on foodstamps.

We have a meres thread for that reason.
The reason why spot gave the shift to the newbie was because of his pay. The newbie will get tired of the Sunday ad shift & the regular tm will get it back.

Meres thread? Also, pretty sure we're all getting the same pay for Electronics since minimum wage just went up, in fact he'll be getting more for working at 5am on Sunday's. If that's the case though, the new guy getting tired of it and the old one getting the ad signing back, why even change it in the first place? That just proves my point that they don't appreciate their veteran employees because they always assume that they're gonna leave at a moments notice. It's like they know the system is fucked and people hate it so instead of fixing it they just keep hiring new people who don't know how it works.

Tha fuq is a Meres thread?

Kkd57l3.gif

Meres thread? Also, pretty sure we're all getting the same pay for Electronics since minimum wage just went up, in fact he'll be getting more for working at 5am on Sunday's. If that's the case though, the new guy getting tired of it and the old one getting the ad signing back, why even change it in the first place? That just proves my point that they don't appreciate their veteran employees because they always assume that they're gonna leave at a moments notice. It's like they know the system is fucked and people hate it so instead of fixing it they just keep hiring new people who don't know how it works.
Depending on how long that veteran tm has been at spot, they can be getting paid more than the newbie. Spot has a major weakness of Tm loyalty & appreciation for veteran tm. Spot wants to cut costs like benefits, pay, hours, & have part time folks work at the business needs only. That's why Spot has Srtl's & newbie etl's at a lower pay.

Nice try my dad served in nam to so.. Maybe kartman should think before he assumes people are well of and can survive on low hours. Better yet he should be thankful he can survive off the hours he getnot every one get a military pension.

Pension or not, Kartman has already stated he gets VA health care and doesn't have to rely on being given 30 hours to get Spot's lousy insurance.

This is something I both admire and hate about spot. I don't think that seniority is a guarantee to getting what you want. When I worked a Union job, work ethics and performance might as well had been meaningless, and hours and promotions where decided by seniority. The only time seniority was ignored, where in cases of favoritism, carried out through shitty loopholes and technicalities. At a place like Target, that's not the case. Depending how good leadership is, a person's performance DOES matter. However, that freedom leadership has to decide who goes where also means that leadership can disregard both skill and seniority and just go with the cheapest. It sucks.

I guess I would say, if you've got the balls for it, the professional and ambitious thing to do would be to discuss the situation with leadership. But, it's retail. You can find a comparable replacement pretty easily, and you take the chance of finding a better work environment. Depends what you think is most worth your time. Then of course there's the third option of pretending it doesn't bother you and continuing as usual.

We had a couple of guys on the plano team who were retired and came back to work because the cost of living in NJ is so high.
They had served in Korea, one went on to the post office, the other to working for Johnson and Johnson but neither one was making quite enough so they worked full time for Spot.
They both worked hard and got things done but they weren't very good at putting up with bullshit from people a third their age.
If you gave them clear, reasonable instructions they were happy to follow them but they would ignore a lot of other stuff.
They were a source of great frustration to the young ETLs but since they had been there since the store opened and did get the work done, they were somewhat golden.

People who stay in one job position without advancement for long periods of time become stagnate and have a tendency to think they are irreplaceable, because " no one can do better than I". No corporation wants someone who wants to be softlines/electronics/signing for 2+ years. They want people who will grow and show potential. Newer hires make less typically, and bring fresh blood. It is a new potential team leader in the making, when everyone has struck out making the choice of not being better and slowly degrading in their work habits.

You asked back in February. Pretty much next to the worst month possible to ask to be cross trained in something. You would be hard pressed to find any store willing to cross train during January-April unless there was a mass exit of people and they were hurting just trying to keep up on people for the limited number of hours the district is allowed. It isn't their responsibility to revisit a list of people asking from months ago, you MUST show you want it, asking every 2-3 weeks would be great. It would be just like a "big office job" you applied for, you don't just submit your resume and hope to hear back from someone. You call them up, make sure they got it, strike up a conversation, quickly rehash what you can bring to the table and that you aren't on the market for long and you were most interested in that job. People do this all the time, those who bitch about not getting the job? Those are the ones not going the extra mile to sell their abilities.

Nut hug, kiss ass, suck dick, do the best that you can, throw other people under the bus, pick your poison it's how people get ahead in life. Sitting back and hoping that someone remembers you isn't going to cut it in any job. How many things do you remember from back in February from a random conversation with someone? Show the initiation to want it ALL the time. I don't condone being a shitbag in order to get ahead in life, it always comes back to you- although it seems like it takes forever for some people. It's all about getting that foot in the door, adapt and change. Get that foot in the door, and you can change what you need to.

You are on the right path in wanting something. You may think you are showing you are the best at what you do, just remember we are all blind to our short comings. Look for feedback, switch things up you need to, and let people know what YOU want, YOU will go for it. As for all the others in your store, who cares if someone is taking their hours. There is a reason why a new guy is getting more hours than them, and you don't know the full story behind it. Everyone is full of shit, everyone fucks up, and you can't trust coworkers; it's just those that do both have a tendency to bitch and moan and blame everyone else. I'm not saying there isn't legit reasons as to someone getting screwed over, it's more the case they lack in the availability and not being the best that they can be at their job.

Focus on yourself, and take what you want. Don't sit back and be all humbug about it.

We had a couple of guys on the plano team who were retired and came back to work because the cost of living in NJ is so high.
They had served in Korea, one went on to the post office, the other to working for Johnson and Johnson but neither one was making quite enough so they worked full time for Spot.
They both worked hard and got things done but they weren't very good at putting up with bullshit from people a third their age.
If you gave them clear, reasonable instructions they were happy to follow them but they would ignore a lot of other stuff.
They were a source of great frustration to the young ETLs but since they had been there since the store opened and did get the work done, they were somewhat golden.

Glad am not the only one from nj

Must be nice to have that many electronic team members, we only ever have a max of three (3).
We don't even really have three. I mean, there are two other people aside from me but one person is moving to another part of the store and the other thinks they're getting promoted after three or so months of being there (lol, they're not that great at their job and people know it) but they just schedule random people from the sales floor and refuse to hire someone else. There's one person who is practically begging to be moved over to our department, but our TL seems to be giving them false hope.

People who stay in one job position without advancement for long periods of time become stagnate and have a tendency to think they are irreplaceable, because " no one can do better than I". No corporation wants someone who wants to be softlines/electronics/signing for 2+ years. They want people who will grow and show potential. Newer hires make less typically, and bring fresh blood. It is a new potential team leader in the making, when everyone has struck out making the choice of not being better and slowly degrading in their work habits.

You asked back in February. Pretty much next to the worst month possible to ask to be cross trained in something. You would be hard pressed to find any store willing to cross train during January-April unless there was a mass exit of people and they were hurting just trying to keep up on people for the limited number of hours the district is allowed. It isn't their responsibility to revisit a list of people asking from months ago, you MUST show you want it, asking every 2-3 weeks would be great. It would be just like a "big office job" you applied for, you don't just submit your resume and hope to hear back from someone. You call them up, make sure they got it, strike up a conversation, quickly rehash what you can bring to the table and that you aren't on the market for long and you were most interested in that job. People do this all the time, those who bitch about not getting the job? Those are the ones not going the extra mile to sell their abilities.

Nut hug, kiss ass, suck dick, do the best that you can, throw other people under the bus, pick your poison it's how people get ahead in life. Sitting back and hoping that someone remembers you isn't going to cut it in any job. How many things do you remember from back in February from a random conversation with someone? Show the initiation to want it ALL the time. I don't condone being a shitbag in order to get ahead in life, it always comes back to you- although it seems like it takes forever for some people. It's all about getting that foot in the door, adapt and change. Get that foot in the door, and you can change what you need to.

You are on the right path in wanting something. You may think you are showing you are the best at what you do, just remember we are all blind to our short comings. Look for feedback, switch things up you need to, and let people know what YOU want, YOU will go for it. As for all the others in your store, who cares if someone is taking their hours. There is a reason why a new guy is getting more hours than them, and you don't know the full story behind it. Everyone is full of shit, everyone fucks up, and you can't trust coworkers; it's just those that do both have a tendency to bitch and moan and blame everyone else. I'm not saying there isn't legit reasons as to someone getting screwed over, it's more the case they lack in the availability and not being the best that they can be at their job.

Focus on yourself, and take what you want. Don't sit back and be all humbug about it.

I was just wondering (rhetorically) why they would hire someone new to do a specific job when they already have plenty of employees who would be happy to take on the role. They didn't have to remember I asked months ago, hell they didn't even need to ask me specifically. It was only something I was interested in, and that faded quickly especially since I didn't want to take it away from our veteran Electronics Team Member. Speaking of though, what I really wanted was to be in charge of was new releases on Friday's like CD's and video games since we already have someone for Tuesday's but nobody for Friday's, plus they needed someone to do Instocks for Electronics & Entertainment and I got both for being persistent and asking at the right time (middle of June, before the new people and when hours were good). So now my other 3 shifts are Electronics since I have to have a main work center and in the end signing on Sunday's wouldn't have worked out. I completely agree with you about being persistent and not counting on people to do things for you, but sometimes stuff happens for a reason. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back