Archived New in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all. I'm DJ.

I just started as a cashier about 3 weeks ago and feel like I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I received basically no training and was just put immediately on a lane. That being said, I feel like I'm doing fine, but I definitely don't feel comfortable with it yet. I'm supposed to eventually be cross trained and moved to Starbucks (what I applied for to begin with) but I'm getting the feeling it will be a while, if ever. I can't tell if my store is specifically disorganized or if this is a common theme with the company. As frustrating as it is though, base pay here is pretty freaking high ($12/hour - wayyy more than anywhere else locally, most places in my city start at $7.50 if you're lucky) so I'm not just going to walk away from this just yet.

Ideally, I'd love to eventually move to HR. I have the administrative and management experience necessary, but I don't know how to make that happen. Obviously it will be a while since I just started, but according to the person who hired me, he started out in Guest Services so I know it's possible to get there one day, but if anyone has any experience with making a jump from being on the floor to being in the office, I'd love your advice. Or really, if anyone has advice for me overall. I'm not really cut out to be a cashier long term - my anxiety is horrible & dealing with irate customers (who, no, really DON'T want a red card - insert eye roll) is not my forte.

Anyway thanks for reading. I've already learned more here than I did in my 15 minutes of "training" at the store.

Welcome to the red 'hood.
Be careful about giving too many details & keep it anonymous since corp doesn't like this site.
Some team members have been harassed by their leadership about this site so keep it on the dl.

Ideally, I'd love to eventually move to HR. I have the administrative and management experience necessary, but I don't know how to make that happen. Obviously it will be a while since I just started, but according to the person who hired me, he started out in Guest Services so I know it's possible to get there one day, but if anyone has any experience with making a jump from being on the floor to being in the office, I'd love your advice. Or really, if anyone has advice for me overall. I'm not really cut out to be a cashier long term - my anxiety is horrible & dealing with irate customers (who, no, really DON'T want a red card - insert eye roll) is not my forte.

I was a cashier in the past but was re-hired as an HRTM my second stint however my fellow HRTM started in softlines and moved to HR when the previous HRTM left.

The good thing about HR is that most of the hires come internally, if your store needs a new HRTM they will probably look in the store so you can work with your ETL-HR and let them know your long term goals. Should a position come open you may be considered. I have seen some stores have a main HRTM and another one who does some HR and then picks up hours in other workcenters.

The other option is to keep an eye on openings at stores nearby and transfer should one open up.

The bad thing about HR is there are a limited number of positions and sometimes people get comfortable. At my old store the HRTM's had been at the store for 22 and 9 years respectively so anyone who thought they were going to just ease into HR never really got the opportunity.

Good luck!

I was a cashier in the past but was re-hired as an HRTM my second stint however my fellow HRTM started in softlines and moved to HR when the previous HRTM left.

The good thing about HR is that most of the hires come internally, if your store needs a new HRTM they will probably look in the store so you can work with your ETL-HR and let them know your long term goals. Should a position come open you may be considered. I have seen some stores have a main HRTM and another one who does some HR and then picks up hours in other workcenters.

The other option is to keep an eye on openings at stores nearby and transfer should one open up.

The bad thing about HR is there are a limited number of positions and sometimes people get comfortable. At my old store the HRTM's had been at the store for 22 and 9 years respectively so anyone who thought they were going to just ease into HR never really got the opportunity.

Good luck!

I went from Cashier/service desk to HRTM within a few months working at Target. Leadership approached me and asked me to apply for the HRTM position. They prefer to promote within. HRTM must be reliable and trustworthy. You have access to all of the team members information on the computer plus you are asked to keep a lot of things to yourself. I can't hurt to tell your HR ETL that you are interested in the HRTM position. I really like the HR position. It gives me full time hours, after the holidays are over HR hours get cut down to about 25-30 hours but I am cross trained in other areas and leaders let me pick up hours in other work centers. The HR position only pays 50 cents more than the cashier position though.

My advise is, always have a positive attitude. Be willing to pick up extra shifts, have a "can do" attitude, don't call out unless you are really sick and don't turn away any offers for cross training even if you don't enjoy that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back