Archived New one year return policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just make sure it's the right tv (serial number match) and call it a day. No need to have a PMT check it, since it has to go back to CRC once it's been opened. No one is going to buy a tv that has been opened/used for the same price as a new unopened one, and a store should not be repackaging them as they will get more back for it from crc than they will on a repackage sticker.
Have somebody check RedWire because the return policy on TVs hasn't changed, the process by Service Desk hasn't changed, but the processing changed about a month ago. The TV goes back to receiving and somebody check to see if it's in working condition; if so, it goes back to the floor. I know, I know. Doesn't sound like the best idea, but it is THE idea at the moment.

Well ever goes through i am good ..I am not going to argue with a guest and get the complaint in my name any more if you upset them they give bad remarks its not my money and with the cuts do they think anyone cares .

So from redwire the new policy goes live tomorrow march 9.

We do sell bikes at out stores. Does that mean we have someone in the store who builds them? Damn! I would love to meet that person because I have yet to find a person who works there (besides sft) who knows the difference between a wrench and a screwdriver.

Many a time tm's will call me to fix something. I'm an old lady, why haven't your parents taught you how to do things? Weren't any of you Boy Scouts? I have never worked with as many inept people as I have at this job.

Have somebody check RedWire because the return policy on TVs hasn't changed, the process by Service Desk hasn't changed, but the processing changed about a month ago. The TV goes back to receiving and somebody check to see if it's in working condition; if so, it goes back to the floor. I know, I know. Doesn't sound like the best idea, but it is THE idea at the moment.
WE've been doing this awhile at my store now. I have to create a work order for the SFT 'forgot their new title". SFT takes the Tv from the CRC pallet and checks it out. There is a Special Sticker that I put on the Tv. The SFT will checkthe box works or doesnt work and put it back on the CRC pallet. If it works I have to go to Ooutbound tracking and remove this item from the CRC pallet then go into Defective app and return item back to stock. Then I go to SIM app and scan the UPC as repackage and put the 'As Is " price sticker on the TV and put it with Clearance items to be pushed to the floor. Price change can do the the pricing but I prefer to do it myself and get tv back out on the floor. Guest are buying the Tvs and we 've only had very few come back second time. We have created alot of sales.

We have a mantra for the front-end at my store, espoused by the STL on down: "It ain't [sic] your money."
this is what really matters. sometimes we know the scam. people buy a lot of coupon items. get a gift card on returns. pay half on gift card, half cash. system prompts cash back. hey they cashed out 200 bucks in gift cards.

coupon return? we'll limit you..

it just depends on who complains we stop it. then its wtf didn't you?

They still haven't mentioned any new bike policy to me and I'm the bike builder at my store. But thanks to you all I found it on redwire. :)

Today we had a meeting about the new policy. I stated, as I believe, that there's really no change from what we've been doing for the past two years of making it right for the guest, other than the fact that if the item is no longer in the system, we take the guest's word for the price paid and offer that as a gift card. Everyone nodded in agreement.

This afternoon, the STL came to me with a furrowed brow, "Um, you don't mean you'll just take the guest's word for it, right? What if they say an unreasonable amount?" She's already worried about giving away the store and we've had this policy for two days. hahahahahaha

I reassured her that I would use my best judgment to find something of a similar value on which to base the refund. I wanted to say, "Um, it's not your money. Why shouldn't we do everything to VIBE with the guests?" But I'd want to work a while longer.

So this translates to: buy target brand stuff on clearance, wait 10 months, return for full price
Had a guest do that with a $500 pool; bought it at the beginning of summer then returned it at summer's end saying it 'had a leak' (actually found a 5" cut) knowing full well we couldn't replace it after they'd been clearanced out.

We do sell bikes at out stores. Does that mean we have someone in the store who builds them? Damn! I would love to meet that person because I have yet to find a person who works there (besides sft) who knows the difference between a wrench and a screwdriver.

The screwdriver's for screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After discussing this with the higher ups today, I feel much better. At least at my store, we'll use best judgement.

If it's clothing and obviously been used and washed, we can deny them. If it's mouth wash and almost empty, we can deny them.

If they don't have a receipt, it's the lowest selling price. we'll keep an eye on repeat offenders And possible scammers.

The fact that it's not anything goes, makes me feel better. Luckily, I am pretty good and knowing prices, or at least a round about since I shop so much there.

It's great for the guests that don't abuse the system. We get a lot of guests that live off the grid or arent able to shop at target often. The fact they could make exchanges throughout the whole store rather than a department, is great.

I do worry about the jerk snots that try to profit off such, but I'll just call someone above me and have them deal with it.

returning any item thats more than %50 used is foolish, so hopefully that stays put. our communication is to price no receipt returns to the guests wants, no questions asked.

in the past month we've fallen to the cusp or below of our sales goal. pay roll is rough. coming from a high theft store that's dependent on grocery; im anxious and a bit scared of the future.

offering a years worth of appropriate staffing for our AP has been a small fix. they can do little to stop people from walking out with product. which they do brazenly and know they can't be stopped. last week a man openly walked out with a $350 TV in his cart. guests attempted to shame the theif outside our doors. meanwhile, many of us were left looking foolish to our guests as to why we can't do more to stop this type of activity. two days ago a man called asking about returning a TV with no receipt. the frustration with all of this can be strong at times.

while we're communicating to TM's its not "our" money regarding policy, in reality... they are effected when the pay roll cuts hit.

overall, the new policy is clean. i like that. yet it goes too far in providing guests the ability to abuse us.

I seem to recall hearing something about Target now selling used TVs. And I'm not even joking there. Also, CRC only returns 10% of the value, or thereabouts, does it not?

Definitely feel I may be mistaken on that second point, but I'm certain I've heard something about repackaged or used TVs.

CRC is 100%, you're likely thinking of Salvage. CRC goes back to the manufacturer.

I worked at another big box that stopped doing extended exchanges like this because of the abusers who thought it was a rental place.. Buy a lawn mower in the spring, return it for a snowblower in the winter..

Maybe we will be getting coats coming back for swimwear and vice versa.. Or beach umbrellas for Xmas trees..

content.php

Still relevant

I haven't done much guest service since the new policy went into effect. I read about the policy change in February on REDwire but I didn't notice that there is no longer a $70 limit on no-receipt returns.

Two obviously sketchy people today did no receipt returns, the first was about $150 and I was hemming and hawing over doing it but I ended up doing it anyway. So I did ask someone and they said that yesterday they did one for several hundred dollars. So the next obviously sketchy guest doing a $100 no-receipt return I just did.

It pains me but well, I guess I get paid the same regardless. We should really do ID checks on all returns like many stores do in order to track people across different accounts but we don't. Even the sketchy people don't seem to have a problem offering up their ID so I guess either they use fake IDs or there aren't enough arrests in conjunction with return fraud (or they don't care, as long as they get their daily fix).

We've had so many different return policies at Target over the years from very strict (such as a per-year item limit and no opened electronics) to very liberal (post-breach and currently). I think this constant changing of policies is not only bad for team members working guest service but also for the (legitimate) guests.

We've chased out many of the coupon scammers (much better than when "Extreme Couponing" was on the air) but there are many more left. At least some of the coupon-return fraud has been limited by forcing a return to gift card over $10 of manufacturer's coupons (otherwise people were constantly buying $200 electric razors with a $20 coupon and returning for the full price).

I really should get out of Target and the retail world in general but it is what it is. I keep getting paid and working nearly 40 hours / week. I just hate dealing with junkies trying to lie through their teeth and tell a sob story about why they don't have any record of where all this $200 worth of jewelry came from (really, save your breath, you don't have to lie, we'll give you all the money you want!)

However, whether you believe in God, karma or the long-arm of the law, eventually criminal behavior will catch up to you -- nobody really gets away with it.

I worked at another big box that stopped doing extended exchanges like this because of the abusers who thought it was a rental place.. Buy a lawn mower in the spring, return it for a snowblower in the winter..

Maybe we will be getting coats coming back for swimwear and vice versa.. Or beach umbrellas for Xmas trees..

The technical term is "wardrobing" and it is the primary form of return fraud. I am pretty sure it happens all the time on these fancy kids clothes, such as today -- the guest buys the Easter/Christmas clothes, removes the tags, has photos taken in them, and returns the clothes ("Oh, the clothes didn't fit and all the tags just happened to fall off accidentally"). Of course, if the clothing still looks like it's in new condition, has never been washed (the DPCI tag is usually a good telltale sign), and I can still sell it, then I suppose why not sell it again? After all, it's already been touched by the grubby hands of Bangledeshi children, dockyard workers, and everyone else down the supply chain, it's not really different if a kid wore it for 30 minutes as well so long as someone else will pay full price for it.

But mostly I see junkies bringing in stolen merchandise, returning it for a gift card (usually no receipt but occasionally with stolen receipts -- a bunch of dirty, wadded up receipts with all different cards, which I do as a gift card anyway) and then either buying beer or -- more commonly -- simply leaving and taking the gift card to a pawn shop to get cash in order to buy drugs. They are pretty easy to spot as they are all dirty and probably homeless and reek of alcohol or are starting to get the shakes from needing a fix. Sometimes they steal things themselves but criminal rings are more common -- that way a different person returns it than stole it, making it harder to track.

If we really want to crack down on return fraud, we should add RFID tags to every item. That way each and every item in the store has a different code. We could scan an item and see exactly when (or even if) it was purchased somewhere. With clothes, we would have to do like Bloomingdale's or Macy's and put giant tags on them that must still be attached. There are definitely more secure ways to do business and it wouldn't really inconvenience the legitimate guests with real issues, only the criminals -- whether the homeless junkie type or the suburban housewife coupon scammer. Those shouldn't be the "guests" we are trying to attract.

The technical term is "wardrobing" and it is the primary form of return fraud. I am pretty sure it happens all the time on these fancy kids clothes, such as today -- the guest buys the Easter/Christmas clothes, removes the tags, has photos taken in them, and returns the clothes ("Oh, the clothes didn't fit and all the tags just happened to fall off accidentally"). Of course, if the clothing still looks like it's in new condition, has never been washed (the DPCI tag is usually a good telltale sign), and I can still sell it, then I suppose why not sell it again? After all, it's already been touched by the grubby hands of Bangledeshi children, dockyard workers, and everyone else down the supply chain, it's not really different if a kid wore it for 30 minutes as well so long as someone else will pay full price for it.

But mostly I see junkies bringing in stolen merchandise, returning it for a gift card (usually no receipt but occasionally with stolen receipts -- a bunch of dirty, wadded up receipts with all different cards, which I do as a gift card anyway) and then either buying beer or -- more commonly -- simply leaving and taking the gift card to a pawn shop to get cash in order to buy drugs. They are pretty easy to spot as they are all dirty and probably homeless and reek of alcohol or are starting to get the shakes from needing a fix. Sometimes they steal things themselves but criminal rings are more common -- that way a different person returns it than stole it, making it harder to track.

If we really want to crack down on return fraud, we should add RFID tags to every item. That way each and every item in the store has a different code. We could scan an item and see exactly when (or even if) it was purchased somewhere. With clothes, we would have to do like Bloomingdale's or Macy's and put giant tags on them that must still be attached. There are definitely more secure ways to do business and it wouldn't really inconvenience the legitimate guests with real issues, only the criminals -- whether the homeless junkie type or the suburban housewife coupon scammer. Those shouldn't be the "guests" we are trying to attract.

Spot decided a long time ago the best way to do business was to give away its business. The Emergency Override code used to only function when activated by corporate. Now? Go ahead, key it in. Make the guest happy, no matter how much that may cost. It's all about the "VIBE."

Everything is about being BOLD and VIBING. If you need to open your cash drawer and let the guest take their pickings for them to be truly happy, then that is what Spot wants. They will simply make up for the losses by giving team members less hours and smaller raises. Shortage doesn't matter anymore. AP no longer has any power to prevent shrinkage; our TPS literally spends 70% of his shift standing at the door picking his nose.

Welcome to Brian Cornell's Target. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back