Archived Open Enrollment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all, it's easily transferable. There is no downside to saving for your future. Even if you get a penalty for withdrawing it, it's more money than you had before.

There isn't a good reason not to take advantage of the 401k other than laziness or you are living so paycheck to paycheck you can't save 5%
You’re right as usual!
I did go through a stupidly frustrating/inefficient process last year of trying to combine multiple retirement funds from previous jobs so might be jaded. IMO, still not worth setting it up unless you’re planning to be at target for at least a couple years (or indefinitely). Or if you don’t have any other retirement savings, then start somewhere ASAP!! And target’s is actually pretty good!!

Waiting until almost the last minute to ask this, but one of the possible benefits I'm seeing is Identity Theft Protection and I'm curious if its a good idea/worth it. Its $4 per period / $107 for the year.

Has anyone used this before?

Waiting until almost the last minute to ask this, but one of the possible benefits I'm seeing is Identity Theft Protection and I'm curious if its a good idea/worth it. Its $4 per period / $107 for the year.

Has anyone used this before?
This is too late for you, but I wouldn't bother with it when companies lose your personal data all the time and offer free credit monitoring to make up for it. I'm currently covered thanks to Equifax.

And I missed it! I've been in the process of moving and I just transferred stores with a new role.

I'm a mess! Really concerned I'm gonna loose my benefits as of April 1st. I have benefits currently from when I got hired 6 months back but now I'm lost.

Yeah, I just realized that I missed the windows by like 3 hours. Is there a way to call them up or something or got to HR and see if I can work something out? Am I going to lose insurance on April 1st?

And I missed it! I've been in the process of moving and I just transferred stores with a new role.

I'm a mess! Really concerned I'm gonna loose my benefits as of April 1st. I have benefits currently from when I got hired 6 months back but now I'm lost.

Yeah, I just realized that I missed the windows by like 3 hours. Is there a way to call them up or something or got to HR and see if I can work something out? Am I going to lose insurance on April 1st?

Call the Target Benefits Center at 1-800-828-5850.

I'm not sure but I think if you were already enrolled then you will just have the same coverage for the new period. Not completely sure how it works here in California but that's what I've experienced in the past in other states.

The good news is if you have coverage you keep it. The problem is you default to smoker and they raised the surcharge for smokers to 800 dollars

Last edited:
If I qualify for Target’s medical insurance, that means I have to cancel my government/Obamacare insurance right?

Not necessarily. If it will cost you a lot more, I think you can keep your ACA plan, but you'd want to call or email them and confirm.

Well I called the benefits number and was able to get my tobacco status changed. Dodged that $800 bullet. Next year, I'm getting into that site the moment open enrollment starts.
For the life of me i can’t find it. I’m in the second group which is open now. Maybe if you don’t qualify for it you don’t have to do it?

No....even if you get part-time benefits, you still have to change your tobacco status. It's like the very first item. My enrollment period just ended so I can't help you with exact location...

Anyone knows the reason why open enrollment is not year-round and why such a tight window?? Like a week or two? @HRZone, @HRLady? I go to you 2 often because you typically know all things in regards to dealing with benefits, best practice etc. @Hardlinesmaster, you might have the answer as well as you have been with Spot just about as long as I have.

Anyone knows the reason why open enrollment is not year-round and why such a tight window?? Like a week or two? @HRZone, @HRLady? I go to you 2 often because you typically know all things in regards to dealing with benefits, best practice etc. @Hardlinesmaster, you might have the answer as well as you have been with Spot just about as long as I have.
Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s how it is everywhere

No....even if you get part-time benefits, you still have to change your tobacco status. It's like the very first item. My enrollment period just ended so I can't help you with exact location...
I don’t think I get part time benefits since I haven’t been here for a year yet (I will in march)

There isn’t even an option to enroll in any kind of insurance

Open enrollment is always one time/year for a very limited window. My school district has the same thing...once a year for 2 weeks. You only get to make changes if you have significant life events.

@Amanda Cantwell, you need 1000 hours of time before you can get even part time benefits.

Anyone knows the reason why open enrollment is not year-round and why such a tight window??

Some people would only sign up because they were sick or needed it. Having it once a year causes people to sign up regardless if they need it or not.

Healthy people paying for insurance they don't end up needing is how insurance companies balance their books.

As mentioned above birth of a child/marriage counts as a life changing event. Then they let you add dependents.

To Amanda's point when you are under a year of service, right before you hit a year you get a notification about what you can enroll for. You get like a 2 or 3 week window to sign up.

So you don't have to worry about open enrollment in that case.

@HRZone, has answer the question.

Some people would only sign up because they were sick or needed it. Having it once a year causes people to sign up regardless if they need it or not.

Healthy people paying for insurance they don't end up needing is how insurance companies balance their books.

As mentioned above birth of a child/marriage counts as a life changing event. Then they let you add dependents.

To Amanda's point when you are under a year of service, right before you hit a year you get a notification about what you can enroll for. You get like a 2 or 3 week window to sign up.

@HRZone, has answer the question.

I second what @HRZone and @Hardlinesmaster said. :)

Last edited:

Thanks! So I won’t be charged to tobacco fee (the $800 or the small paycheck one) if I haven’t become eligible, right?

The good news is if you have coverage you keep it. The problem is you default to smoker and they raised the surcharge for smokers to 800 dollars

I'm still a bit unclear on this. I am eligible, but not enrolled in Target benefits (except from dental.) Nor did I enroll this year. That $800 charge is only for people enrolled in benefits, right?

I'm still a bit unclear on this. I am eligible, but not enrolled in Target benefits (except from dental.) Nor did I enroll this year. That $800 charge is only for people enrolled in benefits, right?

Correct. As long as you don't have any of the benefits (dental, std etc) you'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back