Archived OSHA complaints

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Have any of you even considered filing one against your store? I know nothing will change or my store will probably sweep it under the rug but sometimes I'd just like to report at least 3 incidents to get it off my chest. I honestly don't know how my store passes OSHA regulations. Here are the 3 incidents:
1). Loose animal in receiving that came out of one of the trailers. The only thing that was done was that there was a trap set for it. ETLS did not tell team members about it. I mean seriously, what about the moral obligation of letting someone know about that? And what about guests? Not safe in my opinion. What if a team member or guest was attacked by it or bitten?
2). Some silly bubba from the always clueless morning backroom team damaged a section of the metal steels by the line with the crown. If you saw it, you would think of the movie Final Destination. The right part of it has been taken off the part connects to the beam in the ground. It's basically leaning downward to the right. I asked the guy that repairs stuff and he basically said he wasn't going to fix it. Wow.
3). This has to be the worst. There was a team member that was ticketing clearance items by the line and this person said they had the flu. This person said they got it from their spouse too. Here is the wow moment. This person asked one of the ETLs if they could work with the flu and they okayed it.

Are all Target stores like this or do I just work at a bad one? Or is Target so obsessed with greed and saving money that they cut corners when it comes to safety?

Only #2 is something OSHA is going to really care about.

The problem is you don't know if they have that section of steel reported and in the process of being fixed but it's just taking forever because of bids or whatever.
Do I believe this?
Not really, but the problem is there is a lot going on in the back.

Do like HLM suggested and talk to the safety captain.
Find out what they say is going on.

1). Loose animal in receiving that came out of one of the trailers.

Like this?

b4BhsW0.jpg

He'd make a pretty cute store mascot if he weren't possibly rabid and probably scared shitless (literally)

Since we changed to swift trucks with double doors the driver opens them before backing up and there's a gap where small animals can crawl into the tuck, when we opened the bay door the raccoon ran all the way across the backroom and climbed the shelf, animal control came and captured it. There was a open bag of dog food that probably attracted it to the truck

Sorry for the huge pic. I'm not good with computers and btw I won't be posting here anymore at least not as workbench. I already have a different account here but created this one because if there are any team members from my store they would be able to identify me right away.

We had a cat living in our backroom for a few days. I spent an hour trying to catch it as it was meowing all the time. Finally someone caught it and adopted it.

The only animal I can remember was a bird that kept coming inside the store. The girls in softlines named it, and the cart attendants put out bird food a couple times.

When my store did the massive health reset last year, we found a dead mouse under one of the base-decks.

I found it ironic.

We had a family of rats at ours too... lived in the back room and were huge. Took them awhile but they finally got rid of them. Also had a bird get in the store at least once that I know of... was funny watching the LOD trying to chase it out.

I know our Steritech audits routinely come back with evidence of house mice and Indian meal moths, but that seems fairly common at most stores. There was an OHS complaint in another district adjacent to ours in December, because due to the increase in freight flow that store wasn't able to maintain 3-feet of clearance in their backroom at all times, and they would place pallets and re-pack boxes directly in front of fire hoses/extinguishers.

So letting employees with the flu and know that they are contagious is not against OSHA regulations? Wow, I am just astounded by that. You do realize that people can and do die from the flu right? It's not just a safety issue. It's a health issue. I got a flu shot this week so I don't really care about it that much anymore. I'm pretty sure there are no wild animals in the back anymore. The damaged steel is the only one that worries me because I work in the backroom and I walk underneath that damaged steel all the time. You have to walk underneath to get the back side of the line. It's the part of the steel that connects the area that has the large amounts of pet food on one side and large amounts of paper towels on the other. Every time I see it, I think of Final Destination. Luckily, I'm not stupid enough to just stand underneath it like an idiot. And no I haven't talked to an ETL or safety captain because I have to pick and choose my battles. I've had way too many bad experiences with ETLs when I have had questions, comments, and concerns.

And no I haven't talked to an ETL or safety captain because I have to pick and choose my battles. I've had way too many bad experiences with ETLs when I have had questions, comments, and concerns.

So I mean, instead of going to the safety captain, and saying that something is going to fall and it would probably hurt someone if it did, you decide to not say anything at all.

If it truly does remind you of Final Destination, then someone is going to get hurt and I certainly hope that weighs on your conscience that you didn't do everything you could to try to get it fixed.

I asked the maintenance guy if he was going to fix it and he basically said no. He should have put aside his macho tough guy ego and fixed it in the first place. He's always complaining about having to fix everything all the time. I just want to say "that's your job". What would ETLs say if I told them that I wasn't going to pull CAF pulls anymore or price change batches? I will leave a note for my ETL and say that I noticed it and how it seems a little safe and then my conscience will be clear. And why are bubbas using the crown when they obviously don't know what they're doing? I know which bubba messed up the steel and he has had a history of damaging sections of the steel. I will tell you how it usually goes down. He works early morning in the backroom which means he gets out at between 11am and 1pm. An ETL asks him to put pallets up by the line and this is usually right before he is leaving for the day. He is in a hurry so he goes superfast with the crown and operates it recklessly.

You could red tag the steel with do not use card. That would warn everyone of the danger that section. Again, you need to communicate your concerns to you etl-hr or stl about safety. They will get it fixed.

This. Or place a work order where they are obligated to fix it, or at least where it alerts their DFM that they're neglecting their job when it flags, goes past due and hurts their metrics, or they cancel it.

I'm gonna get some courage and bring it up this week. This all comes back to the bad training practices that Target promotes. If you suck at operating the crown, you shouldn't be operating it or you should be getting some additional training. However, operating the crown is something that you have to learn and you have to practice. The sad thing is most of my ETLs are terrible at operating the crown. Sometimes, I just want to do the Picard face palm. And can't forget the female ETLs that have on ballet shoes and are operating the crown or stacker.

I am a exact example of how target is full of crap. What thewy say and everything they preech is soap box news. Complaining to the safety captain is not going to do a damn thing. The honest answer is that it is all about the benny's baby.

OSHA only enforces specific stuff; mainly anything that is preventable of the workplace that would cause strain, injury, or death. And from what you described, maybe the steel would qualify depending on the severity.

OSHA does not follow up on animals or illness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back