Archived Overhead music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will actually quit if we start playing that fucking song I swear to god I absolutely hate that song beyond all reason
I guess you just don't feel like a room without a roof then.

Probably gonna drown out whatever the stores play via podcasts like MBMBAM, Kinda Funny, and Spontanenation. I need laughs, not music to keep me some semblance of sane.

Apparently, Spot is changing its stance on background music and it is being expanded. My store is about to get a remodel, so it sounds like we might be getting some tunes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...g-at-more-target-stores-background-music.html
You are and it suuuuuucks. I'm at one of the first pilot stores. It is assaulting on the ears to say the least. It is also very spastic, jumping from Taylor swift to country then to Cher. The guest hate it too we have like ten negative yelp reviews because of it. All that pop is just killing my little emo heart.

You are and it suuuuuucks. I'm at one of the first pilot stores. It is assaulting on the ears to say the least. It is also very spastic, jumping from Taylor swift to country then to Cher. The guest hate it too we have like ten negative yelp reviews because of it. All that pop is just killing my little emo heart.

Do you all play that fucking Pharrel Williams song

As I mentioned above, we have it and have always had it since the store opened. Funny thing happened one day: remix of Third Eye Blind's, Semi-Charmed Life, ooontz'ed out. We all kinda looked at each other. A few days later it played again but this time was massively edited/censored. Have not heard it since ... that was about a year ago. Suppose songs about crystal meth aren't really "brand" haha

I'm actually ok with music as long as we hear a variety of tunes and I am an old timer. I'm headed to NYC this weekend and am curious if any of the City Targets do this.

I'm with you on this one !! I think music, the right music, is hugely beneficial to the shopping environment, and more importantly to the Guest experience. We are all so worried about what music WE don't like, or what music WE want to hear...... but, surprise! folks: it's not about us. It's about the Guest. Target is now a Guest-centric company. A variety of multi-generational music, at a comfortable volume lends itself to an engaging environment, and actually can KEEP a Guest in our stores longer. If he/she lingers more, they shop more, they spend more. We need their money, bottom line !!! Money leads to hours, stability, jobs and growth.

The music isn't so bad. It's varied enough, and you hear some repeats, but not within the same shift usually. Some songs are annoying, some funny, some good. I've used Shazam many times. To find a song I like, one I hate and want to know who sings it, or to look up lyrics that I think sound super inappropriate, which amuses me :)

remix of Third Eye Blind's, Semi-Charmed Life, ooontz'ed out. We all kinda looked at each other.

We have a trance-y version of that great big world song "Say something, I'm giving up on you" ...oontz-oontz-oontz... :rolleyes:
They play the techno remixes and stuff overnight, until about 7am. Then it's a mix of pop, oldies, remixes, country, ect.

"Crap! Playing music all the time will translate to Christmas music during the holidays!"

They start playing Christmas music right around thanksgiving. It's not solid Christmas, and they don't play all classic Christmas either-it's a mix. It ends Christmas day - at midnight exactly, actually I was there, and I was sick of it enough to notice a few minutes after it stopped.

The one thing I liked about Target was that it was quiet.

Funny thing is, now that we have it, the store seems creepy quiet when it's off - which is just when they override it or its not working right.

I'm with you on this one !! I think music, the right music, is hugely beneficial to the shopping environment, and more importantly to the Guest experience. We are all so worried about what music WE don't like, or what music WE want to hear...... but, surprise! folks: it's not about us. It's about the Guest. Target is now a Guest-centric company. A variety of multi-generational music, at a comfortable volume lends itself to an engaging environment, and actually can KEEP a Guest in our stores longer. If he/she lingers more, they shop more, they spend more. We need their money, bottom line !!! Money leads to hours, stability, jobs and growth.
But, therein lies the rub.

The internet has begun to splinter the audience for music so much that it is virtually impossible to create a playlist, for a mass-marketer like Target, that will be liked by most and disliked by a few. You could create multiple playlists for stores that share similar demographics but that would increase costs. However, to have a playlist composed of songs that most people would basically rate as "neither like or dislike" would result in such a bland compilation that you might as well not waste the money on it.

You say it is about the guest not us TMs and you are 100% correct. Now, think of the music you hear your fellow TMs listening to, do you think that you could create a playlist that would satisfy a great majority of them?

The shopping public is probably more diverse in their tastes and likes than us TMs so you would have even a greater challenge in creating a playlist for them.

Oh gosh, I can already envision having to literally yell into the walkie to be heard.

As for music volume, it's pretty low and inoffensive. It's not like a shop in a mall. If I'm trying to Shazam the playing song, I usually have to stand right under a speaker or ambient noise will likely mess it up. Except in the fitting rooms. For some reason those speakers are super loud.

I just wish they had music in the restrooms...

Some to mask the "Sounds."
Which is why music is blasting in the backroom. Between songs you hear a "sound" and look up o_O then you hear coworker older cool dude shout out "stay outta HBA!!!"

I'm talking about the sounds of pissing and shitting and blasting out a load.

I could do w/o THAT muzak!

Went to Soho store. It's loud and the message of the song dealt with the fact that sometimes you have bad days, but you need to stay positive. Laughed at the message. Clearly they want songs with themes that can also relate to team members.

There better not be freakin Garth Brooks.
Went into Ollies Discount Store (odd lots, over runs, etc.) and saw about 25 of the Target exclusive CD box sets on sale for more than we sold it at the last clearance price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back