Archived Overhead music

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that they are reverting back to some older design choices... grey walls and white department signs. A store in my district hadn't seen a true remodel since it opened in the mid-90's so it still had grey walls and the funky color neon... guess what? Half the store is STILL grey! Kinda funny how things go full circle.

Bringing this up again because my ETL confirmed that it is officially happening next week. I am excited about it but it will be weird after years of working in silence.

They haven't done much ceiling work at my store outside of track lighting so I have no clue if we're getting it

It's a pretty good mix of popular music. IDK if it's just my store, but before open it leans more to dance/techno style music. 90s - today alternative mostly during the day. Think MTV/VH1. Loud-ish if you stand under the speaker. Definitely not "soft background music"

No music at my store and I hope it stays that way. My last job played a small, weird mix of nu-country and dangerously cheesy 90s pop...think Carrie Underwood followed by Smash Mouth followed by Taylor Swift followed by Barenaked Ladies on an endless mind numbing loop. I'd rather listen to kids scream all day tbh

Had a VERY weird occurrence happen. The lights for the whole store went out but the music stayed on and Tubular Bells began to play.

The weirdest mix one day was Linda Ronstadt, Katy Perry then OMD

I wonder if we'll get this as part of remodel. I hope not. I can't imagine the playlist will be long enough not to be make TMs suicidal after a few days of hearing the same 2 hour playlist over and over and over again. Plus, it's hard enough to hear guests/walkies as it is sometimes, no need to add more noise.

I wonder if we'll get this as part of remodel. I hope not. I can't imagine the playlist will be long enough not to be make TMs suicidal after a few days of hearing the same 2 hour playlist over and over and over again. Plus, it's hard enough to hear guests/walkies as it is sometimes, no need to add more noise.
Nah I think it’s probably like some licensed form of Spotify or pandora. I don’t think it’ll be like a repitive playlist

That's cool. I suppose the music world has changed since I figured out a way to disable the in-store music at my retail job back in the day because I swear to dog if I heard "My Heart Will Go On" ONE MORE TIME the gondolas were all going down.

I sure do hope that this music stuff isn't going to happen in all stores. Maybe they're going to do it as a bit more of a "trial" run in stores.

Just came across an article that said that Target came up with a play list of 1500 songs.
Stores that get a remodel will have music.

No specific info on when other stores will begin playing.

Just came across an article that said that Target came up with a play list of 1500 songs.

"Walmart pulled Justin Bieber and Celine Dion songs from its playlist back in 2015, but that wasn't because they affected sales. Their employees just got sick of hearing their songs repeatedly each day."

The article you are referencing is from 2017 - I'm sure a lot has changed about the in-store music pilot turned nationwide roll-out:
Target Has Never Played Background Music, Until Now - http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/news/a46146/target-background-music/
Also see: Target flips on the background music. Will shoppers turn up the volume? - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/09/18/target-store-remodel-background-music-spend-more

Thought this was a funny blatant lie: "Target tested music in 2011 at its Minnetonka Ridgedale location to see what shoppers and employees thought. Both groups gave thumbs up."
I'm SURE the team members asked gave thumbs up, right with corporate standing behind them with big fake smiles on their faces, LOL.

...I also do not ever recall hearing background music playing in any Walmart stores - the stores by me, anyway.

Last edited:
...I also do not ever recall hearing background music playing in any Walmart stores - the stores by me, anyway.
I did comp shop for a couple of years at Walmart, and they had music. The depressing part was I actually liked their playlist. I was their prime demographic. :(

1500 songs is almost 3 days of music, so no major repeats, also assuming they change it and add new stuff every so ofteb

Who knows....maybe there will be Target ads!!
Cartwheel ads......RedCard ads.....Up & Up ads....job openings ads.... RedCard ads.......shoe ads....men's clothes.....books....RedCard ads.....women's clothes....."choose your bathroom".... RedCard ads......and so on and so on and so on..........oh...and don't forget those RedCard ads!!!

"Walmart pulled Justin Bieber and Celine Dion songs from its playlist back in 2015, but that wasn't because they affected sales. Their employees just got sick of hearing their songs repeatedly each day."

The article you are referencing is from 2017 - I'm sure a lot has changed about the in-store music pilot turned nationwide roll-out:
Target Has Never Played Background Music, Until Now - http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/news/a46146/target-background-music/
Also see: Target flips on the background music. Will shoppers turn up the volume? - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/09/18/target-store-remodel-background-music-spend-more

Thought this was a funny blatant lie: "Target tested music in 2011 at its Minnetonka Ridgedale location to see what shoppers and employees thought. Both groups gave thumbs up."
I'm SURE the team members asked gave thumbs up, right with corporate standing behind them with big fake smiles on their faces, LOL.

mine did. It was horrid. You were subjected to their 'special' artist or a variety of pop, country and easy listening. Until Christmas season. It was endless christmas songs from september until January 1st

Seriously hoping this does NOT come to my store. When I worked for another retailer years ago, I could practically set my watch by the playlist, it was so repetitive and boring. The morale is already so low, it's hard to imagine what could make it worse. This would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back