Archived overtime help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So Ive been with spot for about 2 years now and am in my second position (seasonal merchandise brand tm) and am currently training for gsa. So last week hr informed me that I was at 42 hours for the week and needed to cut the extra 2 hours. I cut on friday and only had 30 more minutes left to cut on Saturday. On Saturday I was closing gstl and got held up in 239 for an extra 20 minutes and never got a chance to cut. So now I ended last week with about 40.75 hours of work which is technically overtime. Am I gonna get in trouble because I was told to cut and I didn't. Please help

Just communicate what happened if they bring it up. And also giving them a plan for the future might help it go over better. Like instead of trying to cut hours at the end of a closing shift, take an extended lunch instead. Obviously I'd rather leave early to cut hours too, but when closing the lanes it might not be practical.

Did you communicate across leadership that you were running over? As in the lod?

When I'm running over, I let LODs know every day until I hit even or under. I extend my lunches and if I know we are strapped for manpower aka bodies on the floor, then I'll talk to them about cutting my day to come in later because they aren't too keen to let you leave early.

Whether you are going to be in trouble I doubt it. Maybe a slap on the wrist.

I actually didn't communicate with the lod that day. An hr team member told me the stl has it out for me but luckily the stl and etl-hr are both on vacation

From an ETL standpoint, overtime is a coaching conversation with documentation - nothing too major. If managed correctly, each store should have an overtime threshold (ours was 9 hours total). To prevent this in the future just communicate to your LOD that you need to cut out early to prevent overtime, they should understand the importance and plan it into their day.

I had TMs, especially my TLs, hit overtime almost every month and never had a conversation with them. Actually I did, I would say "You're getting paid extra this paycheck, way to go." Then I would give the finger to the air and say "Take that Target!"

I usually end up with about 15 to 30 minutes of overtime once a month. Nobody has ever said a word about it to me. But they also know that I am very careful when I pick up hours to stay at 40.

Like we have a cashier who picked up too many shifts and ended the week with 52 hours and was put on a cca. Nobody's said anything about it but like I was told my stl has it out for me when she gets back from vacation

Like we have a cashier who picked up too many shifts and ended the week with 52 hours and was put on a cca. Nobody's said anything about it but like I was told my stl has it out for me when she gets back from vacation

Yeah, that'll get you in trouble pretty quick.

A few years ago, we had a new TM who did that. He wasn't around much longer after that.

I don't know how the person getting OT is at fault in anyway. Your leader should be on top of it.

Our HR prints out a report mid-week that shows TMs/TLs who are projected to go over.
But 52?! That's lax oversight.

So overtime is past 40 hours a week, right? Not more than an 8 he shift? I'm in California. . . Also is the week for overtime counted from Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday. The posted schedule runs from Sunday to Saturday, so I just want to be sure.

So overtime is past 40 hours a week, right? Not more than an 8 he shift? I'm in California. . . Also is the week for overtime counted from Sunday to Saturday or Monday to Sunday. The posted schedule runs from Sunday to Saturday, so I just want to be sure.
Yup, anything over 40 is a big no no unless it is approved beforehand. And schedule runs Sun-Sat

I guess my store is very cool with OT this is my 3rd week with atleast 48hrs.
3weeks ago I was 45 after that 48 then this week im projected to do 51hrs.

I guess my store is very cool with OT this is my 3rd week with atleast 48hrs.
3weeks ago I was 45 after that 48 then this week im projected to do 51hrs.
yeah that can happen. We got the ok for some overtime a couple of months ago because we were so short staffed.

California is over 8 in a day, then after the 40 in a week.

I miss California labor laws....

Never had accidental OT to know how that'd be handled, but I've had checks that were almost 120 hours, worked 55 hours one week and 62 the week after, but that was last december in the midst of 4th quarter, not a typical scenario.

Last year we didn't hire seasonals, we just decided to give existing TM's more hours, well, then people started no showing up, and I became a hours sponge.

I accidentally hit overtime once. ONCE.

It was when I was working 40 hours overnight. I had forgotten that I punched out late one morning, and one of my TLs coached me for it. I was already on CCA at the time, so it could've been really bad.

I hit overtime, but it was because it was literally the perfect storm...

I was opening market on a saturday, 99% of the time that is 6:00am t0 2:30.... It was the saturday before Easter, when all of our PDA's went down (we were still on max where you could see the daily schedule in the PDA, except this day..

I was also training someone

At around 2:00 and LOD and I realized I should have left at 11:00am r0fl.

woops.

Ok I have another question. Is overtime calculated from the scheduled working hours + lunch (unpaid) or just schedule working hours (paid). This week I will be 5 minutes from going on overtime (40) but that is schedule hours that include the unpaid lunches. The schedule hours that are paid will be 37 hours.

I've hit non-approved overtime a couple times... ETL-HR never reprimanded me for it. I had a weird setup at target though.. got away with a lot more than i should have lol

Ok I have another question. Is overtime calculated from the scheduled working hours + lunch (unpaid) or just schedule working hours (paid). This week I will be 5 minutes from going on overtime (40) but that is schedule hours that include the unpaid lunches. The schedule hours that are paid will be 37 hours.

There should be a report updated daily that hangs over/around the posted schedule with any projected overtime... Just look at that. it'll show you how much projected overtime you have, if any. If you're not on the report, you don't have any OT.

40 paid hours is what matters. Next week I am scheduled to be in the building for 38 hours, but only 36 of that is what matters and my schedule specifically says:

"Total Scheduled Hours:36 hrs"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back