Archived performance managing someone out

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you successfully done it? how did it go?

i have a lot of coachings on a team member but they're not same topic so it doesn't seem like it helps at all. it just looks good if we go to court for unemployment hey this person documented performance issues so many times. but it doesn't get me closer to moving them closer to termination.

Are they just coachings or are they official corrective actions? If they are just coachings, then you will not be able to term. If you've noticed a pattern in the TM's performance/actions, then you will be able to move further down the CCA process. If there is a pattern for a specific performance opportunity or TM behaviors AND they have been documented and delivered via coachings, then I recommend delivering a counseling. After delivering a counseling, you will need to deliver more coachings if the behavior/performance continues. After about 3-4 (rough estimate. This number depends on the TM) coachings, you can move to final warning. If the behavior/perf. is still continuing, then deliver another 3-4 coachings before moving to a term. The most important thing is to document to avoid any issues if the TM files for unemployment or wrongful termination.

Double check this with your ETL-HR or HRBP, but I believe that if the TM has 2 final warnings (they can be on separate issues) and they receive another counseling/final warning, then we can term them...but double check on this!!!!

I hope this helps!

If you're just coaching and don't move to a counseling then that's why your TM is still there. I performanced out a TM but they were within their 90 days but I had to term another TM with huge issues too. You need to actively push for CCA for it to happen.

Are they just coachings or are they official corrective actions? If they are just coachings, then you will not be able to term. If you've noticed a pattern in the TM's performance/actions, then you will be able to move further down the CCA process. If there is a pattern for a specific performance opportunity or TM behaviors AND they have been documented and delivered via coachings, then I recommend delivering a counseling. After delivering a counseling, you will need to deliver more coachings if the behavior/performance continues. After about 3-4 (rough estimate. This number depends on the TM) coachings, you can move to final warning. If the behavior/perf. is still continuing, then deliver another 3-4 coachings before moving to a term. The most important thing is to document to avoid any issues if the TM files for unemployment or wrongful termination.

Double check this with your ETL-HR or HRBP, but I believe that if the TM has 2 final warnings (they can be on separate issues) and they receive another counseling/final warning, then we can term them...but double check on this!!!!

I hope this helps!
that's what it sounds like. we need to document everything we say but we also need a lot of repeated behaviors and then them doing it again.

You need to partner with your ETL-HR for this. Coachings alone won't do much if you don't push past CCA, like CoquiAzul said.
I'm sure that if the TM is really problematic other TLs or ETLs have coached too, so I would talk to the ETL-HR.

What exactly does 'coaching' mean? I want to know. Pulling you aside and doing what? Explain please

What exactly does 'coaching' mean? I want to know. Pulling you aside and doing what? Explain please
Coaching is a documented conversation with someone detailing a specific incident of misconduct or poor performance. Coaching isn't inherently bad, but multiple coachings on the same issue can lead to CCA and eventually term.

If you think you've been coached, ask your leader or HR. If you were just pulled aside and asked why you did something and given advice and how to better perform a task, that's probably a "Seek to Understand" conversation which isn't anything documented.

I thought coachings and corrective actions were used to help the employee get better by showing them what they did wrong. Am I being naive? It seems the focus here is to pile them up as fast as possible to get rid of someone, not to actually help them improve.

Why yes, in a world where you are trying to improve the employees and want to spend the time to make them better that is how it is supposed to work.
However, in Spots world if you are an ETL or STL who want to get rid of someone in a hurry performancing someone out is an artform, done just as you described it.
True there are people who really shouldn't be working at someplace but performancing them out is not what we should be talking about.

So... is there such a thing as being "scheduled out"? You know... a tm that has zero performance issues and schedule is slowly and consistently reduced until benefits are reduced and then "we're not suggesting, but an option" that they consider voluntary demotion to get more hours that better fit the availability they've had for years?

This question is fucked up. I love it.

Why not just tell the person "you fucking suck and I don't want you to work here anymore"?

I wish management would be honest and blunt about their treachery. But I guess if they were honest about it, it wouldn't be pure treachery.

@Jackswastedlife99
I have a TM that has a very limited availability that doesn't really mesh well with the business needs and constantly tells me how she needs more hours. I ask her if she can be more flexible with her availability I could totally schedule her for more shifts even if she just extends her 10pm cut off to 11:30pm and she tells me she can't. I asked her if she can free up Saturday so she can work the weekends, she says she can't. I'm to the point where she's only getting one to two days every week and they are all four hour shifts since she can't work 8 hour shifts. Sometimes management doesn't have a choice and we schedule people that way because they chose to not want to cooperate all the time, then pull the victim card that they have no hours and blah blah blah.

I didn't "coach" someone out... I've had TMs that continued to not meet my expectations after multiple conversations. When it doesn't improve they get put on a CA. Then if you still have to talk to them about similar things (productivity, guest experience, loafing) then it will move to a final. If they don't improve their behavior within 12 months and you keep having conversations with them then it's a term. I've never made it that far. When it gets close I've asked "do you want to be here or not" and most TMs just leave. At least this has been the routine I've seen.

I feel like some of the management gets their rocks off by terminating TM's. There's such small things that can be ignored yet they feel the need to coach or document everything without thinking that it effects the TM's entire livelyhood and providing for their families. 95% of the team leads aren't there more than a year yet change the lives of people who have or will be there for many more years.

I didn't "coach" someone out... I've had TMs that continued to not meet my expectations after multiple conversations. When it doesn't improve they get put on a CA. Then if you still have to talk to them about similar things (productivity, guest experience, loafing) then it will move to a final. If they don't improve their behavior within 12 months and you keep having conversations with them then it's a term. I've never made it that far. When it gets close I've asked "do you want to be here or not" and most TMs just leave. At least this has been the routine I've seen.

See, I hate this, because this is how most of the TLs and ETLs see things. "Well, they didn't meet my personal expectations, so I'm documenting it." But lately the expectations are for TMs to do the work of 8 in half a shift or else they get spoken to. And every member of leadership has different expectations. I've had to fight A LOT of potential write-ups because one ETL will complain that I didn't finish what I was asked to, but it was because a different ETL told me to do something else.

It's just such a terrible system. Meanwhile, we have people who have been working there for years who BRAG IN FRONT OF EXECUTIVES about doing nothing their entire shift, and they've never been coached at all.

*Edit for a weird spelling error.

Ugh, this is so corrupt. I've heard countless rants from my TL about trying to performance some people out. Never happens for some reason but they want it to. These are people's lives here :mad: most don't even do anything wrong besides have a few bad days where they are slow here and there. It all seems to be fine for the ones who work slow and slack off purposely but suck up to the TL or ETL tho:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back