Pet Peeves at work

This one doesn't apply to Target exclusively, but when I'm using the bathroom and someone knocks on the door...

If the door is closed, and the light is on, you can safely assume someone is in there. I might have to print up a stop sign to hang on the door, you know, like they have in preschool :facepalm:

And the door is locked! It didn't lock itself, stupid!:rolleyes:

I thought I was the only one.

I hate it when the GSTL sends guests to guest service to get rang up. Just because we have no guest up there, we are still working on rewraps, defectives, stuff others put on our counter and everything else. :thumbsdown:

I hate it when the GSTL sends guests to guest service to get rang up. Just because we have no guest up there, we are still working on rewraps, defectives, stuff others put on our counter and everything else. :thumbsdown:

Stop being lazy. Targets mission is 1+1...the GSTL should be using the Guest Service Desk as an extra express lane when there are no guest returns.

Stop being lazy. Targets mission is 1+1...the GSTL should be using the Guest Service Desk as an extra express lane when there are no guest returns.

While I certainly understand the need for 1+1, it's hardly fair to call laziness when the GSTM is only trying to accomplish their daily tasks. If they were standing around shooting the breeze with another TM, fine; but attempting to finish rewraps and defects are legitimate tasks and there is absolutely no need for hostility toward someone who is trying to keep their area brand.

I was only kidding with lazy part.

Wouldn't you think however though, that the GSTL would understand if the daily task are not finished due to the fact guest are being sent that way. "Oneteamonedream" never mentioned getting in trouble or coached for not getting task done. Ultimately, the Front End, or even Target in general is GUEST FIRST. Or at least that is how it should be.

I was only kidding with lazy part.

Wouldn't you think however though, that the GSTL would understand if the daily task are not finished due to the fact guest are being sent that way.

In a perfect would, they absolutely would. At my store, at least, they often didn't. That is not to say that they were bad GSTLs, because most of them were very good people; it's just that they were usually very busy and sometimes forgot or didn't think to status with the Guest Service Team Members or Food Ave before utilizing them, and this often led to a build up of tasks or a general failure to get them done in a timely manner.

Ultimately, the Front End, or even Target in general is GUEST FIRST. Or at least that is how it should be.
That is the idea, yes. It's certainly efficient to get the guests checked out in as timely as manner as possible, and utilizing other locations is one way of doing that. However, I can certainly sympathize with the feelings of frustration that TMs in those other locations feel when they have to put aside tasks they are working on to ring up guests sent by the GSTL, especially when they are behind on those tasks or overwhelmed by the sheer volume of them. Yes, they will stop what they are doing and ring up the guests, but that doesn't mean they have to be thrilled about it every time it happens, and if it happens often enough, it's bound to become a pet peeve.

Last edited:
So sales floor team members shouldn't answer back up cashier calls, simply because they are behind on their task? I am not saying they should be thrilled by any means, but what I am saying is I wouldn't call that a pet peeve, simply because it's something that you have to do. Those guest they are ringing up brings in Sales. More sales = More payroll. More payroll = more money in Team Members pockets.

A pet peeve would be similar to the very first post...the one about no soap/towels in the break room. That is understandable.

So sales floor team members shouldn't answer back up cashier calls, simply because they are behind on their task? I am not saying they should be thrilled by any means, but what I am saying is I wouldn't call that a pet peeve, simply because it's something that you have to do. Those guest they are ringing up brings in Sales. More sales = More payroll. More payroll = more money in Team Members pockets.

A pet peeve would be similar to the very first post...the one about no soap/towels in the break room. That is understandable.

When there is a call for back up, everyone is supposed to respond every time; that's best practice. When management is understanding of the fact that guests come first and tasks come second, then everything works as it should. The problem is that in some stores, management is not very understanding at all, or due to hours being cut, the appearance of other areas suffers because there simply aren't enough TMs to respond to guest calls and finish tasks. When that happens enough, it's frustrating to be a TM who genuinely wants to see guests happy and maintain a brand area for them to patronize, yet to not have the power to accomplish either. As for pet peeves, I think they can be just about anything, depending on the person. What is annoying or frustrating to some may not even phase others. I know one of mine used to be when someone neglected to double-bag the outside trash cans. It drove me and some of the other Guest Attendants crazy, but others didn't seem to really care: they hated responding to guest first calls, which I was usually happy to do.

And forgive me: we've been having this discussion for a while and it just occurred to me that this is the first time I've seen your Username and that I never welcomed you to the forum; welcome! :) Are you a GSA or GSTL? You seem very familiar with the front end. I used to work Food Ave myself.

Grrrr, haven't posted in this topic recently, but this morning gave me pause to share a pet peeve. Since we are ON again for the back to school/back to college, I've been helping the BR team after the truck is finished with the push. Not once today but twice FT put defectives on their backstock. One was a broken vase. The other was liquid hand soap that had no lid and had turned over in the tier cart. It was a mess to clean up. It had leaked all over the backstock items as well as boxes on the bottom of the cart. Plus the trail on the floor.

Another one along the same lines is FT not pushing. They have been told countless times to check for second locations. Also to have someone with a PDA to check if they can't find where an item is stocked. I was backstocking H&B on Saturday and about 70% of the items I checked went out. Whatever happened to audits? Are they no longer done? I shouldn't have to check items to see if they go out. BR gets full too quickly to add more that should be on the sales floor. End of rant, thank you for listening. :)

Grrrr, haven't posted in this topic recently, but this morning gave me pause to share a pet peeve. Since we are ON again for the back to school/back to college, I've been helping the BR team after the truck is finished with the push. Not once today but twice FT put defectives on their backstock. One was a broken vase. The other was liquid hand soap that had no lid and had turned over in the tier cart. It was a mess to clean up. It had leaked all over the backstock items as well as boxes on the bottom of the cart. Plus the trail on the floor.

Another one along the same lines is FT not pushing. They have been told countless times to check for second locations. Also to have someone with a PDA to check if they can't find where an item is stocked. I was backstocking H&B on Saturday and about 70% of the items I checked went out. Whatever happened to audits? Are they no longer done? I shouldn't have to check items to see if they go out. BR gets full too quickly to add more that should be on the sales floor. End of rant, thank you for listening. :)

Wow. FT hasn't changed...it's been two years since I left Target and I remember this same thing happening at my store. I used to do the challenge and most of it went out. I was often the TM with the PDA and a few people would ask for a scan but others wouldn't.
Yet they'd see the asterisk on the box label and the shelf label and ask what that meant. :facepalm: These were not new TMs either.
Nothing ever sells from the backroom. It's like it says on the backroom clips "In the store, on the floor..."

Wow. FT hasn't changed...it's been two years since I left Target and I remember this same thing happening at my store. I used to do the challenge and most of it went out. I was often the TM with the PDA and a few people would ask for a scan but others wouldn't.
Yet they'd see the asterisk on the box label and the shelf label and ask what that meant. :facepalm: These were not new TMs either.
Nothing ever sells from the backroom. It's like it says on the backroom clips "In the store, on the floor..."

We haven't been doing challenge in several weeks. If it comes up challenge we backstock it. Agreed, these are NOT new TMs. I too am one with a PDA. I've told people if there's a full case that won't go out it's probably located elsewhere, check endcaps. This job can be frustrating when you take pride in doing your job properly and others are too lazy or don't care. Thanks for your reply, lac.

I hate it when the flow team puts a box of something that is broken on the defect cart leaving the 8 that aren't broken in the box too. Once or twice is ok but all day? They also have a habit of breaking a lot of stuff when they "bowl" it out. Please don't throw it down the aisle!!!!!!!!

came in from a long weekend off, and my desk was piled high with mail, signs, pogs, and someone took off the pages from my daily Dilbert calendar and they are no where to be found. That's just rude!

I hate it when the flow team puts a box of something that is broken on the defect cart leaving the 8 that aren't broken in the box too. Once or twice is ok but all day? They also have a habit of breaking a lot of stuff when they "bowl" it out. Please don't throw it down the aisle!!!!!!!!

Drives me insane!!! I usually end up with a full cart of items that are perfectly fine because someone couldn't be bothered to seperate them from the defective item. Stuff that just needs to be wiped off or have a plastic tab put on it also drives me crazy!

Okay, so our pharmacy has been doing these contests because we're low on 5-minute challenges. I've had it with the other techs who will "jump in" when I ask a guest "Can I help you find something?" because, of course, then THEY get the credit and it looks like I'm not doing anything! Personally, I think the whole "5mc" thing is counter-productive for pharmacy, anyway, because I can't exactly be filling a prescription in a timely manner AND be out on the floor showing a guest where the toothpaste is, now can I?

This is good thread to resurrect, lol!

Three-tiers left on the salesfloor. I don't care who you are or what's in it, if you leave a three-tier on the salesfloor, your Mom's a ho. If I were a leader I would be reviewing the video and writing people up.

Very close second is DBOs who don't work their reshop.

Back