Archived Question About Cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I just had a quick question about the register. Say the guest's total is $44.27 (made up number) and they hand me $50, is there going to be a thing where I put like out of $50 and the register tells me how much change to give them back? I can definitely count money with ease, however adding and subtracting with decimals in my head is a little tricky to me. I haven't started yet (orientation is next week) and I was just wondering if I need to start practicing doing this type of math in my head so I don't have any problems.

Yes, you type in how much the guest gives you, and it'll tell you how much change to give them. All you need to do is be able to count it out. Good luck!

Just watch out for the customers who will wait until after you opened your drawer to go "Wait! I have change!"

Just watch out for the customers who will wait until after you opened your drawer to go "Wait! I have change!"
Can I just lie and say I already put in the amount in the computer and so I can't change it? Lol

Can I just lie and say I already put in the amount in the computer and so I can't change it? Lol
Maybe, but you're going to piss off some customers. I never had a problem pulling my phone out and doing the math real quick because most the time it was just a few extra coins they pulled out and I wanted to make sure I got it right. I tended to wait a little extra if somebody was paying with cash and was still fumbling with their purse/wallet after handing me the bills, too.

That said, sometimes they're trying to pull a fast one on you, especially if they're paying with larger bills for a small dollar amount.

I've never been a full-time cashier, just gone up for backup (but not in a long while) so don't take my word for it though.

Maybe, but you're going to piss off some customers. I never had a problem pulling my phone out and doing the math real quick because most the time it was just a few extra coins they pulled out and I wanted to make sure I got it right. I tended to wait a little extra if somebody was paying with cash and was still fumbling with their purse/wallet after handing me the bills, too.

That said, sometimes they're trying to pull a fast one on you, especially if they're paying with larger bills for a small dollar amount.

I've never been a full-time cashier, just gone up for backup (but not in a long while) so don't take my word for it though.
Oh okay well thank you!! I'm hired on as seasonal and really really want to be permanent so I guess I'll try to just make as less guests angry as possible and figure it out if it happens haha

I wrote a post about a guest doing exactly what you said (saying you already entered the amount.) and the lady got all mad at me and stormed off with a huff. The "WAIT I HAVE THE EXACT CHANGE" guest after you already rang up their cash.

You can read about it lol. I thought it made complete sense that they should just keep that change if I'm already handling it and/or she would of gotten it back anyways and I got explained to like 3 times saying to just give her her change back but when I said that it made zero sense and I was wrong lol.

I do now what Circle9 does, just give a moment to see if they're fumbling around or see if they mention having change. Usually wait 2 seconds before entering in or ask and make sure that's all they wanna give me. I've also whipped my phone out before to make sure. I'm a 1999 baby so I don't know how to do mental math lol.

Last edited:
I wrote a post about a guest doing exactly what you said (saying you already entered the amount.) and the lady got all mad at me and stormed off with a huff. The "WAIT I HAVE THE EXACT CHANGE" guest after you already rang up their cash.

You can read about it lol. I thought it made complete sense that they should just keep that change if I'm already handling it and/or she would of gotten it back anyways and I got explained to like 3 times saying to just give her her change back but when I said that it made zero sense and I was wrong lol.

Oh well, it's past me. But I do now what Circle9 does, just give a moment to see if they're fumbling around or see if they mention having change. Usually wait 2 seconds before entering in or ask and make sure that's all they wanna give me. I've also whipped my phone out before to make sure. I'm a 1999 baby so I don't know how to do mental math lol.
Yeah I just read it and I would have been so confused if someone handed me the money and then a penny and THEN a dollar like I would probably have to stop and think for a good couple minutes lol and same we did this type of math for like a month in 5th grade and that was it. Been using calculators ever since. I'm hoping the majority of guests will pay with their card LOL

Maybe I'll just ask every time before I enter their amount "out of ___?" So they can either say yes or no. I'm probably thinking about this way too much haha

Maybe I'll just ask every time before I enter their amount "out of ___?" So they can either say yes or no. I'm probably thinking about this way too much haha

I do that usually too. You are, most guests just round up in dollars and hand you that. Are you a cashier or just asking for the days you have to backup

At my store it's also typical most guests just use a debit or credit card to pay, might differ though from store-to-store.

I do that usually too. You are, most guests just round up in dollars and hand you that. Are you a cashier or just asking for the days you have to backup

At my store it's also typical most guests just use a debit or credit card to pay, might differ though from store-to-store.
I'm a cashier :) & okay! I'm not too worried now haha

I usually wait a couple of seconds if they hand me bills because they usually go "ohwait i think i have change somewhere"

If I ring it up and then they want to hand me an extra bill or something i say sorry i already rang it up, can't change it. If they want me to change a bill i tell them to go to guest services. I'm kinda paranoid sincei've been scammed twice so I just avoid putting myself in those situations :/

I usually wait a couple of seconds if they hand me bills because they usually go "ohwait i think i have change somewhere"

If I ring it up and then they want to hand me an extra bill or something i say sorry i already rang it up, can't change it. If they want me to change a bill i tell them to go to guest services. I'm kinda paranoid sincei've been scammed twice so I just avoid putting myself in those situations :/
Oh no :( I'm sooo nervous about people doing that to me, I've seen on here a bunch that scammers like to target new cashiers :/ can you get in trouble for being scammed?

Oh no :( I'm sooo nervous about people doing that to me, I've seen on here a bunch that scammers like to target new cashiers :/ can you get in trouble for being scammed?

None of our cashiers have gotten into trouble if they fall victim to a scammer. If you realize you fell for a scammer, notify your AP. Every register has cameras.

Last edited:
You don't get in trouble. Just be extra cautious when you see someone wanting to pay with $100/$50 bills. I had that happen to me during my first cashier shift, someone paying with a $100 bill for a pack of gum. Now whenever I get a cashier shift once they want to start giving me bills for exchange after i take their cash or something i just tell them NO if they want change go to guest services.

I have no shame in using a calculator even if the guest tells me their change. If I type it in wrong, I am not getting in trouble for the till being short. I always tell them "that sounds right but I want to verify so my drawer is not short" usually people understand. I had one lady get mad because I didn't count back her change to her. You sat there and watched me count it out, is that really needed?

Not unless you are in on it.

Scammers and quick change artist exist. When you feel you are being scammed, slow down! Scammers try to pressure you to move quickly to avoid attention and get you to make mistakes. If they are in a hurry they can go scam wal mart

i just tell them NO if they want change go to guest services.

My store policy is we don't give change just to give change. Unless the guest is purchasing something to break a bill, we will not open the cash register for change requests.

Im not great at math, but it's not particularly hard.

If you open your drawer and they have change, it's quite easy. Just add the amount of change to the amount the register is telling you to give back. "$4.75"
"Oh, I have a quarter"

You give them a fiver.

Other suggestions about waiting to see if they have change, etc. are good advice

Im not great at math, but it's not particularly hard.

If you open your drawer and they have change, it's quite easy. Just add the amount of change to the amount the register is telling you to give back. "$4.75"
"Oh, I have a quarter"

You give them a fiver.

Other suggestions about waiting to see if they have change, etc. are good advice

This is true, my only minor frustration was when someone is owed 5.38 in change and they give you 2 pennies so you can give them a quarter, dime and a nickel. I want to be like just take the 38 cents unless you are rounding up to 50 cents.

This is true, my only minor frustration was when someone is owed 5.38 in change and they give you 2 pennies so you can give them a quarter, dime and a nickel. I want to be like just take the 38 cents unless you are rounding up to 50 cents.

That is annoying. I wish we'd just get rid of the penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back