Archived Quitting Due to Modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well who is doing PP2 push? Why aren't those being cleared by the closing team if dayside can't finish?

Well who is doing PP2 push? Why aren't those being cleared by the closing team if dayside can't finish?

I'm not sure what happens in the store after we leave at 1030. We punch in at 6 and finish the p2 uboats left from the day before. It's 8 before we finish getting empty vehicles and start to unload the truck. We finished at 10 the other day and all took our 15. Worked for 15 minutes after and all of inbound left by 1030. I assume dayside gets the p1 stuff done during the day as *most* those vehicles are empty the next morning. Some days though it's as though they weren't touched either.

We have lots of team members who want hours (I was dropped from a consistent 28-32 down to 4 and others were dropped from 40 down to 12) yet there are now hiring signs up. Trying to pick up hours but am told there are none available. Occasionally I'll be able to pick up one if someone calls in. Morale is very low. We've got 2 on one side of the line, one on the other. Told were not going fast enough and they want to cut it down to one on each side. I'm spending half my time in the truck waiting for space on the line, thinking of the days when we had two throwing and could come clean in 40 minutes.

I get what they are trying to do (meet their payroll goals) but in the meantime they are driving down morale by their constant 'work faster!' comments. As team members we have no real incentive to work faster other than additional responsibilities, reduced hours and a promise of 2, maybe 3 four hour shifts a week.

I've been with Target over 23yrs and I've been getting 40 hours but since January I've only been getting 20 hours a week so now after all my hard work and dedication I'm being rewarded by lossing all my benefits! Thanks Target!!

I'm guessing you're a regular TM? I'm hearing they won't let anyone who is less than a TL get benefits and over 30 hours.

I have changed my availability to weekends only and will be looking for a job w a consistent 40 hour M-F schedule.

How did you do this? The only way I know how has to be approved. Is there a way around approval or were you able to have someone approve weekends only? My requests are always denied and they are not even full day requests. I’ve been lucky enough with the shift swap board to get off when something conflicts with my availability but just wondering if I missed something.

How did you do this? The only way I know how has to be approved. Is there a way around approval or were you able to have someone approve weekends only? My requests are always denied and they are not even full day requests. I’ve been lucky enough with the shift swap board to get off when something conflicts with my availability but just wondering if I missed something.

It was approved. In comments I put I need a consistent schedule. Since January I was getting one day a week and that day was different each week. I always asked for more but was denied. Others on my team were as well. The odd thing is that I'm still being scheduled random days, even though my availability says Sat and Sun only. It's not a problem if they start giving me 30 hours a week again but if I still only get one random 4 hours a week it makes finding another job nearly impossible.

Health benefits hours are counted by calendar year...January 1 to December 31, for 2018. If your average hours on your last paycheck of 2018 listed 29.5 hours then a person will qualify for health insurance for the benefit year that is upon Target now. Yes, 29.5 hours is the magic number...and that 29.5 hours is the standard for health benefits also, Target lists in its own information that the average work hours is 29.5. So check what your hours were to see if you still qualified.

I'm guessing you're a regular TM? I'm hearing they won't let anyone who is less than a TL get benefits and over 30 hours.
This is ASANTS. At our meeting, we discussed how we won’t be hiring any new TMs with average hours above 30, but that the longtime people who contribute a lot, the ones that bust their asses every day and know a ton and help others learn to do things correctly won’t have their hours slashed below 30

This is ASANTS. At our meeting, we discussed how we won’t be hiring any new TMs with average hours above 30, but that the longtime people who contribute a lot, the ones that bust their asses every day and know a ton and help others learn to do things correctly won’t have their hours slashed below 30
Can I come work with you?

On our inbound team we have a couple TMs that got a consistent 40 hours, 5 days a week. They often ran the show when the TL wasn't scheduled. January both had their hours reduced to 12 a week. After much complaining they are finally scheduled 5 days a week but only 4 hours a shift. Logistics ETL or whatever the name is now, says they flow is only getting 4 hour shifts now and not to expect anything more. So they've capped them at 20 and they want to send us home early as soon as the truck is done, although lately we've been able to stay for the full 4 hours.

Out STL is told how many hours we get and we have to deal with that. On inbound we come in and 6 but don't start unloading until 8 as all the priority 2 vehicles are full still from the day before. At 8 we start and we're only scheduled to 10. We finish up at 1030 and we all go home. P1 is left for dayside to do and P2 won't even get touched which rolls it to the next day. We're all being told how we should be doing less and working faster with more hours but until we get more bodies there's only a certain amount we can get done in 4 hours. Sure the promise of $15 an hour may make some work a little faster then they are now but we're expected to be doing the job of 3 or 4 others and that's not going to happen no matter how much they promise to pay (all while cutting hours.)
No you do not want to wish for more bodies. More bodies means shorter shifts. We are all still getting 6.5-8 hours each day.

No you do not want to wish for more bodies. More bodies means shorter shifts. We are all still getting 6.5-8 hours each day.

This is definitely an ASSNTS thing. Our entire inbound team is told to punch out right at 4 hours. A day last week we came in only to find hardly any of the pp2 push was stocked. We spent 2.5 hours pushing it. We we're sent home even before the truck was finished and told that they would have dayside push it. I'm not sure where hours are going in my store. Definitely not to flow and there's always push left over from the previous day, so I don't think they are that staffed either. I'd be happy to even get consistent 6 hour shifts.

I've seen this before, it's how a company dies. Our shelves are unstocked, the back room's destroyed and the hours are ridiculous. Morale is in the toilet, not that the company cares. I've been lauded by my supervisor and G.M. many times for fast, consistent, quality work since I started, and after over 5 years I'm
making the same wage as somebody that just walked in the door, which tells you how much value they assign experience and their own training. It was obvious that moving the hours was simply to deprive us of our $1/hr. overnight premium, just to give it back to us in June as if it's actually a raise, in order
to honor the imprudent pledge to have employees up to $15/hr. by 2020, back when they thought a federal minimum raise was inevitable. The first 3 years I worked there, I lost no hours. The next year, I got 1 week of 17 hrs., which brought my average down so far I no longer could get the vacation-pay payout I desperately needed to make up for two insultingly low raises and my cut hours. This year it's been four months of less than half hours. This trend says it all. Labor is always the first thing to cut when desperately trying to save money, as it's the largest single expense to a retail company, and similar to my last corporate experience, we are now asked (told) to do P.O.G.,zoning, backstock, detrash fills and audits, as well as stocking. This is clearly impossible, even without the tiny hours, so ridiculously so that no-one takes it at all seriously. None of the rules (old or new) are implemented, with carts being used for stocking, pallets of goods on the sales-room floor, backstock and trash simply pushed into the back and abandoned. It's grim and getting grimmer, and fascinating to watch this company destroy itself. Before this "modernization" (an asinine euphemism if I've ever heard one, but "Project Screw Our Employees To Try To Survive Amazon For One More Year" probably didn't focus group well) I did sections C and D by myself, every day. Now it's NEVER finished, and it
takes at least four people, just during our shift. This means that the idiots at corporate did no research before instituting these tired, typical desperate measures, since objectively this is much, much more wasteful and inefficient. We had just gotten a decent crew, doing pretty well, and they've destroyed it through stupidity. Do any of the corporate imbeciles have any college degrees in business/business administration/marketing?

Last edited:
I've seen this before, it's how a company dies. Our shelves are unstocked, the back room's destroyed and the hours are ridiculous. Morale is in the toilet, not that the company cares. I've been lauded by my supervisor and G.M. many times for fast, consistent, quality work since I started, and after over 5 years I'm
making the same wage as somebody that just walked in the door, which tells you how much value they assign experience and their own training. It was obvious that moving the hours was simply to deprive us of our $1/hr. overnight premium, just to give it back to us in June as if it's actually a raise, in order
to honor the imprudent pledge to have employees up to $15/hr. by 2020, back when they thought a federal minimum raise was inevitable. The first 3 years I worked there, I lost no hours. The next year, I got 1 week of 17 hrs., which brought my average down so far I no longer could get the vacation-pay payout I desperately needed to make up for two insultingly low raises and my cut hours. This year it's been four months of less than half hours. This trend says it all. Labor is always the first thing to cut when desperately trying to save money, as it's the largest single expense to a retail company, and similar to my last corporate experience, we are now asked (told) to do P.O.G.,zoning, backstock, detrash fills and audits, as well as stocking. This is clearly impossible, even without the tiny hours, so ridiculously so that no-one takes it at all seriously. None of the rules (old or new) are implemented, with carts being used for stocking, pallets of goods on the sales-room floor, backstock and trash simply pushed into the back and abandoned. It's grim and getting grimmer, and fascinating to watch this company destroy itself.

This pretty much sounds like my store in terms of hours and morale. Leadership makes it a point to not have any pallets on the sales floor so that's a plus for modernization I guess. Our backroom is a nightmare though. I asked my STL what was so wrong with the old process and their response was it was costly and inefficient. I can't believe how many thousands this is costing us in lost sales though. Definitely more than having us come in overnight and having to pay a $1 differential. We've asked for hours and there are none to give, so they say. I'm hoping they will eventually come back. I like working there and my old schedule was 30 or so a week. Keeping my fingers crossed they can find a way to maintain hours year round if I last until January.

to honor the imprudent pledge to have employees up to $15/hr. by 2020, back when they thought a federal minimum raise was inevitable. The first 3 years I worked there, I lost no hours. The next year, I got 1 week of 17 hrs., which brought my average down so far I no longer could get the vacation-pay payout I desperately needed to make up for two insultingly low raises and my cut hours. This year it's been four months of less than half hours. This trend says it all. Labor is always the first thing to cut when desperately trying to save money, as it's the largest single expense to a retail company, and similar to my last corporate experience, we are now asked (told) to do P.O.G.,zoning, backstock, detrash fills and audits, as well as stocking. This is clearly impossible, even without the tiny hours, so ridiculously so that no-one takes it at all seriously. None of the rules (old or new) are implemented, with carts being used for stocking, pallets of goods on the sales-room floor, backstock and trash simply pushed into the back and abandoned. It's grim and getting grimmer, and fascinating to watch this company destroy itself.
^This! Seen this death spiral before, too, and it obviously didn’t end well for that company either...

We've got 2 on one side of the line, one on the other. Told were not going fast enough and they want to cut it down to one on each side.
How big are your trucks usually? This seems awfully spare, even compared to my low-volume store. (Although we might be at the notch above that now; probably because of our SFS orders, but trucks are a bit larger these days.) Anyway, I get why your store's morale would be low! It's frustrating to constantly be told to do more do more do more but not have the hours or people to do it well.

Last edited:
Someone who I work w has a husband who works at a store which also houses our districts offices. She said that the word there is that modernization was designed to be secretive in part to preventing a mass walk out of team members and leaders (upset w the changes.) They are supposed to be keeping people in the dark and having 'confidential' one on ones w team members to an effort to prevent this. Has anyone else heard anything similar? A lot of people have quit already at my store and individual conversations haven't even started yet.
Individual conversations has started at my store .

Reactions: Lux
How big are your trucks usually? This seems awfully spare, even compared to my low-volume store. (Although we might be at the notch above that now; probably because of our SFS orders, but trucks are a bit larger these days.) Anyway, I get why your store's morale would be low! It's frustrating to constantly be told to do more do more do more but not have the hours or people to do it well.

I'm only on one day a week so I don't know most days but the last two trucks I was there for was 1500 and 2500.

Someone who I work w has a husband who works at a store which also houses our districts offices. She said that the word there is that modernization was designed to be secretive in part to preventing a mass walk out of team members and leaders (upset w the changes.) They are supposed to be keeping people in the dark and having 'confidential' one on ones w team members to an effort to prevent this. Has anyone else heard anything similar? A lot of people have quit already at my store and individual conversations haven't even started yet.
My old store bled TMs and TLs during the pilot last year. Given the way one of my GSTLs is already threatening everyone, we'll have another on our front end (at least) at my current one. Can't speak for other work centers but have heard hours cuts are a concern there.

My old store bled TMs and TLs during the pilot last year. Given the way one of my GSTLs is already threatening everyone, we'll have another on our front end (at least) at my current one. Can't speak for other work centers but have heard hours cuts are a concern there.
Same. Quite a few people weren't able to change availability. Our front end is shorthanded, which should make it easier to absorb the lost gsa hours when it happens.

I'm only on one day a week so I don't know most days but the last two trucks I was there for was 1500 and 2500.
Yeah, that's too few, imho, for your inbound crew. Our trucks average about 1500 and we have the same 6 of us (1 thrower, 3 on the front of the line, 2 on the back) for all our truck days. Usually takes us 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours to complete unload depending on the variables - don't know how that compares.

Our truck today was about 2000 pieces and we missed the unload goal by about 10 minutes. As I unloaded the truck I thought about how we used to have two unloading and it'd take us 45 minutes, an hour. Now it's taking us about 2. I'm doing twice the work. Maybe I could paid even 1.5 times as much? No? Ok :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back