Raising company minimum wage

Ideally, Target would like to have mostly part-timers because they're less likely to demand benefits & they can be plugged in for short shifts with fewer breaks according to business needs.
Unfortunately, many have other jobs/school/commitments so they aren't always able to come in earlier or stay later.
Full-timers can fill larger blocks of coverage but require breaks/lunches & if they call out/go on vacation it's more difficult to find coverage.
During hiring, Target stresses that they do NOT guarantee full-time hours but they do ask hires to fill our their availability & how many hours they'd LIKE to work.
At my store they look at reliability & willingness to come early/stay late when looking to increase someone's hours but ASANTS.

There are several reasons. Hours have been cut, but we're still getting Q4 level trucks for our store. We're way behind and there is so much to do. Morale is worse than I've ever seen it. TMs who have been there for a lot longer than me tell me it's worse than they've ever seen it. No one cares how much gets done because we know it won't all get done. Low morale = call outs.

At the same time underscheduling the front end and fulfillment has everyone on the salesfloor at their wit's end. We're way behind in our own work, but constantly asked to pick up the slack elsewhere. Morale gets worse.

To add to matters TLs can do nothing about callouts or TMs who do almost nothing all day. Those TMs are bodies that can't be replaced as useless as they are.
I’ve never related to something more. My store to a T.

The fact that they put out their little press release 4 days ago, and we haven't had any direct communication about it, tells you all you need to know.
Your HRD and HRBP likely know what's going on. If I had to guess, they're apprehensive about saying anything during review season.

Minimum starting pay at all stores will range from $15-$24. Technically that is already true because everyone is at at least $15.

In other words, it’s all a publicity stunt. A lot of stores won’t change at all.
I think cvoid really impacted the network so negatively that Target isn’t netting revenue like they used too. Pray to God we don’t have a WW3. Be thankful.

I think cvoid really impacted the network so negatively that Target isn’t netting revenue like they used too. Pray to God we don’t have a WW3. Be thankful.
Revenue is way up but there has been a lot of increased expenses. Im not sure 100% because i havent really looked into it but im pretty sure profit is up as well. Although numbers aren't always the exact story of how well a company is doing.

They really will do anything to get people in the door. The problem is they really should be working on how to keep people not getting them in the first place and they wouldn't have to do stunts like these.
Companies don't realize the increasing the starting pay and/or giving hiring bonuses to new hires just makes current workers want to leave.

A lot of it may have to do with the fact no one expects people to stick around for 5+ yrs at least not at the TM level.
Great point.

IMHO work is changing dramatically for these reasons:

• Employees need to switch jobs every five years to advance their career.
  • Employers want your work experience from different companies.
  • Employees are going to switch careers three or four times their work life.

Last edited:
They really will do anything to get people in the door. The problem is they really should be working on how to keep people not getting them in the first place and they wouldn't have to do stunts like these.
Focus on hiring the right fit for the actual job in the first place. The most idiotic thing Target has ever done was to do away with the job interview. Hiring sight unseen, both ways, based on answers to a questionnaire is asinine. Then HR acts surprised, when it comes out that someone lied about what they could actually do. And then, rather hold them accountable to their questionnaire answers and fire them, HR in their infinite wisdom moves them to another role that they think will be easier. Albeit they move at their original wage, which them is unfair to anyone else that has been doing that second job from day 1, and not yet made their way up that lower pay scale. But hey, those sign on bonuses got bodies in the door, even when they cant do any of the actual job functions.

Last edited:
Any news to share on this "announcement"? It's crickets here.

Does anyone here have a list of regions where the Target minimum wage is higher than $15/hour?
Targets near Seattle - a very expensive place to live: $17.50. Our minimum was upped back in August 2021, predating the so-called "announcement" by several months.
FYI Washington's statewide minimum wage is $14.49.
City of Seattle minimum wage (within city only) is $17.27

Last edited:
Back