Archived Receivers unloading food truck??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we switched to later trucks, yes, our receiver did help with FDC trucks. I'd come in at six and she would already have the pallets (stupidly) waiting for me outside of the coolers.

I don't mind helping but I am expected to solely unload it. I thought the end to end process included unload.

Last edited:
We've always had the receiver unload them the one lonely food tm who's there takes it to the coolers.

My store either the receiver or Backroom leader unloads the food truck. Been that way for years

Market TL or Flow TL will since they are doing the truck at the same time they have the powered equipment to unload it. If C & S comes later whatever ETL around if the dock is closed will do the unload.

Hell to the no no no. In my store flow tl and Etl log usually do it. I hear our receiver on the walkie telling them c&s is here. Because we are e2e in market, if the truck comes after the tms are here, they will unload.

It is really the food ETL s job to unload, but with e2e, I guess any food TL or tm.....HOWEVER, I have been expected to do it for years. I don't mind helping, its often easier for me to just do it then deal with inexperienced people making a mess.

Overnight here: LoggyTL and backroom team. If it is larger delivery we may pull from Flow. We have Market e2e but they do not come in until 4/5 in the morning. Truck comes a couple hours prior to that.

Last edited:
Our food truck tends to show up an hour or two before I clock in and on the days it's here when I am, I just call it out on the radio and tell the driver somebody's on their way. There was a couple weeks where I was scheduled early enough to be around for it and I'd handle the unload.

It's the market team's problem now until somebody gets on my ass and makes me get involved again.

I would love to know according to "best practice" who's responsibility the unload is. My ETL told me if FDC arrives the same time as vendors, the vendors will have to wait until I finish the unload.

At my store, if the receiving TM is in the store, they will be asked to unload it (even if it's before dock hours and they are in a different workcenter at the time). I personally don't mind doing it at all.

If it arrives during dock hours and there are other vendors waiting, I'll unload it but then call out the food team to come get it and bring it to the coolers.

My ETL told me if FDC arrives the same time as vendors, the vendors will have to wait until I finish the unload.
I've also been told that by several people, including the receiver who trained me, and I agree with it 100%.

Most of our vendors also deliver to Walmart, and apparently nothing we do compares to the complete shitshow they deal with over there every day. Sitting around receiving for 20 minutes doesn't bother them at all.

Last edited:
If I'm there I'll do it. I'm working on getting all my TMs trained to do it so our receiver, ETL LOG, or Flow TL don't have to do it.

I would love to know according to "best practice" who's responsibility the unload is. My ETL told me if FDC arrives the same time as vendors, the vendors will have to wait until I finish the unload.

My stl told me according to an email he got about hour efficiency, the flow TL is in charge of unloading the food truck.

In the past about once a year the expected delivery window for fdc changes It's going to be very interesting when our fdc truck arrives while we are still unloading the DC truck. As it is now I have to move pallets out of the way to unload cokes, nabisco and third party pallets.

At my store the PA pulls the pallets off the truck and the Consumables TMs tote them to the coolers. I assume if a PA couldn't be in for a C&S truck for some reason and the receiver was in, they'd do it. Failing that, LOD. I don't think I'm allowed to have receiving keys.

We have two people who work 4am-12pm that do all backroom duties for E2E market. On truck days, they unload the truck. One uses the power jack to bring them out, and the other uses a normal jack to put them in the coolers.

We've usually got several people available each day to physically unload the FDC, between the backroom remnants, Pfresh team, myself and the receiver, we rarely bother the execs with it. Though the paperwork doesn't always get done correctly if myself (SFS), the backroom TL, or main receiver aren't present. Seems like every week we get a memo of "X FDC wasn't properly accepted at your store"

@Jess998 I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you're the receiver, I'd expect you to at least fill the paperwork and pull a couple pallets off the truck, assuming you're comfortable with a power jack--if not, then get some practice. How I go about it when I'm covering receiving is I'll wait till the FDC is almost backed up to the dock, then call for Pfresh to say hey FDC is here, come pull some pallets please. When they're on their way, I start pulling pallets off into the receiving area for them to take the rest of the way.

Honestly anyone can do any part of the process, the important bit is making sure none of it sits outside for too long

Funny, FDC over at my store we unload it ourselves. This older guy I work with whom I regard as my "go to TL if my TL isn't there" kind of vented to me on a weird busy day on how busy his mornings are in FDC, doing all the pulls while after truck unloading and being alone most of the time until 5-6am when someone pops up and then me at 7am(usually.) and someone else and that's it for the day, unless Flow team is done for the morning and wants to help. One guy I know is scheduled flow 4-9:30 then comes over to FDC for his last 3 hours.

Monday we get about 9 pallets total, it's basically every day we have that amount in the morning, which is normal for us. A few weeks ago we had a relatively chill Sunday... no pallets to work out which was really strange. Just some pulls to do and we had to Purge Dairy... then our power went out lol.

FDC is actually a really "cool" to department no pun intended, I actually really like it. I'm not sure what the morning work load is compared to other parts of the store but I'd say it's up there on the list for "workloads in the morning" but boy I get about 12,000 steps in before 2pm usually. I tried consumables and the amount of space in the aisles and complicated back stock turned me off. I said I'd be glad to be scheduled it more but the more I realized I didn't like it I took back my statement to myself. I'm happy I haven't been scheduled it in 2 weeks lmao.

Speaking of Flow, I'm interested in trying it. What is Flow exactly??

FDC is actually a really "cool" to department
I think you are the only person I know of who refers to FDC as a workcenter. Everyone else is referring to the Food Distribution Center, which sends us trucks with frozen and refrigerated goods (unless your store is still served by a 3rd party called C&S, in which case you would call it C&S).

I think you are the only person I know of who refers to FDC as a workcenter. Everyone else is referring to the Food Distribution Center, which sends us trucks with frozen and refrigerated goods (unless your store is still served by a 3rd party called C&S, in which case you would call it C&S).

Possibly, my store tends to treat it as a separate part of the store. We're not scheduled under Consumables or Food Service, but rather as Meat and that means we're managing frozen dairy. It confused me at first but then I realized the difference between Meat and Meat is on the schedule it'll say Meat TM, not just Meat.

FDC is Frozen Dairy Center at my store, we must be weird.

You being the receiver should be glad to unload. Part of the revievers job is building relationships with vendors. Our reciever unloads FDC everyday and knows all the drivers quite well and it makes for an easier time for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back