Archived Red-Card Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am mainly a cashier at Target and my managers are literally STALKERS about the red cards. They literally spy on the cashiers and make sure their asking. And every two seconds I have to hear, "Make sure you're offering." Like, you think I really forgot? And they have the audacity to have us try to sell this card to people when we get nothing out of it, and on top of that, there was just the whole Target Crisis!! I'm sick and tired of it. They're absolutely unbearable about it. They don't understand that the more you nag, the less people want to do it. I've been talked to about offering for red cards in the past and everything. Never ends. And they said it's in my core roles (or goals?)

Do you all agree with how they act towards redcards? I understand they're being hounded from people higher than them, but still...damn!

And is it really in my job description?

@Robert Woodrufff
Looks like the core roles were pulled from the WIKI, but yes it is in the core roles, and would probably fall under several roles most notably Driving Profitable Sales.

Some managers are much more cutthroat about REDCards, but in my experience they all like pushing for REDCards to some degree or other, its just part of the job. As long as you're making a conscious effort (are you?) I don't feel like they should nag you, or remind you that its in your core roles.

Also, if your real first/last name is in your USername you should have it changed to protect your identity since Spot lurks here. PM me if you need it changed and we can get you taken care of.

Yes, they can hound you like the Baskervilles.
It means they are crap bosses but they can do it within the parameters of your job desciption.

Are you related to the founder of Coca-Cola?
And if so why are you working at Target?

it is a different last name, but thank you. and is it a new rule? i dont recall hearing about that when i was hired in 2010.

And my managers are absolutelty insufferable to everybody about it. Hell, they'll say over the walkie while a guest is signing up for one, "*supervisors name*, I got you one!" To me that is totally unprofessional and should be a bad look to the guests about the company. That kind of stuff should be behind-the-scenese. It shouldn't be everybody's business how many red cards the store gets. The public doesn't need to know every time the store gets a red card.

Not a new rule, it's how much pressure they are getting from above.
If Spot sets the conversion rate so high that they feel pressed to preform, the rule is going to be dreck rolls down hill and you will get the brunt of it.

Targets corporate leadership is clueless on how to turn the company out of the tailspin it is in. So they do the only things they can think of cut staffing and push red cards and attachments. Until they clean house at the top and they continue to make massive million dollar mistakes this is just the ways thing are going to be.

Targets corporate leadership is clueless on how to turn the company out of the tailspin it is in. So they do the only things they can think of cut staffing and push red cards and attachments. Until they clean house at the top and they continue to make massive million dollar mistakes this is just the ways thing are going to be.
Yep. They are to busy picking up nickels off the ground to notice the dollar bills flying out of the hole in their pockets.

I absolutely refuse to ask guests for redcards. I'm trying to get out of credit card debt...why would I encourage it? I can understand the debit redcard but still....these people have been asked and asked and asked! They want to get their stuff and get the hell out.
I think it's highly unprofessional to announce over the walkie that Suzie got a redcard! Then you hear WooooHoooo from other TLs. I'm sure the guests are like What the hell game are they playing here? Do they really need to know THE MOMENT OF that someone is filling out the redcard app?
I heart K8.

I only ask when leaders are within earshot. They can and will can you if you dont convert. I cant convert , so asking is wasting air.

I am mainly a cashier at Target and my managers are literally STALKERS about the red cards. They literally spy on the cashiers and make sure their asking. And every two seconds I have to hear, "Make sure you're offering." Like, you think I really forgot? And they have the audacity to have us try to sell this card to people when we get nothing out of it, and on top of that, there was just the whole Target Crisis!! I'm sick and tired of it. They're absolutely unbearable about it. They don't understand that the more you nag, the less people want to do it. I've been talked to about offering for red cards in the past and everything. Never ends. And they said it's in my core roles (or goals?)

Do you all agree with how they act towards redcards? I understand they're being hounded from people higher than them, but still...damn!

And is it really in my job description?

Unfortunately it is. Mentioned in the core roles and everything. If you need to reference your core roles, just ask you HRTM. In reality, though, best practice is to only ask when prompted so as not to violate fair lending laws unintentionally.

We've been instructed by our DTL to ask every guest, so we do...it is what it is.

Gone are the days when cashiers merely ring up guest purchases and thank them for shopping. Every role at Target is now expected to drive profitable sales and the research shows REDCard holders shop more and buy more -- so we're expected to sell the REDCard. Plain and simple.

I still remember one time about a year ago when they announced over the walkie that someone had gotten a red card and one of the LODs went woo woo over the walkie. There was a guy in the aisle where I was zoning and he said to me, "Do you have to listen to that all night?" and when I said yes he just said, "Oh, I'm sorry.".

Pushing extras is in our core roles. I might not agree that we have to push so much for such little benefit to us, but hey that's just how it is.

I was unhappy at my old store so I left, and if others are that unhappy with their job I STRONLGY urge them to do the same. I came back to Target at a new store (left my old one mainly because of people), and knew that if I worked at Target again that I would have to push these extras. However you want to cut it, its still part of our job so we have to just do it.

In my almost 5 years at Spot, I have never been coached/talked to for my Performance #s (redcards,aar, etc.). So as long as you at least TRY you should be okay -- Heck I'm not even that good of a salesperson lol.

"Yes, they can hound you like the Baskervilles."

I love this line.

I still remember one time about a year ago when they announced over the walkie that someone had gotten a red card and one of the LODs went woo woo over the walkie. There was a guy in the aisle where I was zoning and he said to me, "Do you have to listen to that all night?" and when I said yes he just said, "Oh, I'm sorry.".

I just turn my walkie down when they start that crap.

I HATE asking for Red Cards too, but I do it anyway. I've learned that the more you ask, the more you tend to get. Sometimes I get Red Cards that I totally didn't expect to, and frequently a guest with a huge purchase would rather pay with a real check than sign up for the debit card. I don't think I've ever gotten one when the prompt came up.

Just curious ... what it considered to be a good number of Red Cards per week per cashier or per store?

It depends on your volume. The higher the volume, the higher number of prompts, and thus a higher number of REDCards needed to be green. At my store, by yesterday, they figured if we got 22 for the week, we would hit 2.5 and be green. Still not great for is, but it's starting to hit a stride.

They just started hounding the cashiers for them. GSTLs/GSAs keep going on walkie to announce that whatever cashier just got a red card and if nobody else gets one this hour then they get a $10 gift card.

I turn off my walkie whenever I hear them start.

When I left today (mid/late afternoon), we had only gotten one for the whole day. We have all been trying so hard, too. No one wants them.

I have been with the company for half a decade and haven't gotten 1 REDcard. Not one. I used to backup cashier all the time the first half of my career but try to avoid now. One day I almost got 2 in a row, but the first one didn't have their license and the other didn't have a check.

backroom team member here who was back up cashier after finishing break at a bad time. 5 out of the 8 guests that i rung up used redcards.

backroom team member here who was back up cashier after finishing break at a bad time. 5 out of the 8 guests that i rung up used redcards.

That's part of the problem with Red Cards. So many shoppers who want them have them already. Naturally, if you sign up for a Red Card you are going to continue shopping at Target so you can use it. It's not like there's a completely new batch of shoppers each shift; you are going to have lots of people already using their Red Cards, and a lot of people have already heard the spiel a hundred times and have decided they do not want one. Plus, most shoppers have zero patience and want to get out of there as soon as possible; they don't want to take the time to do the process, and some shoppers also feel bad about holding up the line. Add the data breach in, and it's a miracle if you can get any at all!

If the guest uses their REDCard, them there won't be a prompt, so it can't count against you. Of course it doesn't help you, either.

I'm waiting for them to start hounding us in pharmacy about them....why not just add 1 more thing to our already ridiculous list of things we have to bother ask guests about :rolleyes:

I understand it is in the core roles and by all means I understand. I also understand asking everyone is redic!!!! Target is not understanding that that guests are still shaken by the target breach shake-up. I have had guests personally chew me out saying I had to get a new credit card because of this breach and needless to say I am very upset!!! Do you honestly think anyone with half of brain wants a redcard?? In the words of the Sopranos forget about it! Needless to say of course if and I say if things smooth over and only if things smooth over maybe just maybe people will want a redcard but right at this moment in time no one wants one and sure if you get lucky you might emphasis on might catch a lucky break and actually get one but needless to say it is very tough compared to last March when Target didn't have the breach and yes getting a redcard was easy breezy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back