Archived Requested for Cash Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with Target for 6 years. 4 years on flow and the past two in the backroom. Today my TL told me that I have been asked to also do cash office. Is this normal? I have many years of banking experience (done before I became a stay at home mom), but no one knows this. I know I could handle it as long as my total hours stay the same. I don't want to lose overall hours to help out. But I thought it was strange that I be asked. Any thoughts?

No one ever goes from backroom to cash office. That's a pretty far off work center. Backroom are the farthest away from dealing with money. Hopefully they haven't caught you stealing and is trying to bait you into stealing more.

Either that or you're slow and they want drop dead weight

No one ever goes from backroom to cash office. That's a pretty far off work center. Backroom are the farthest away from dealing with money. Hopefully they haven't caught you stealing and is trying to bait you into stealing more.

Either that or you're slow and they want drop dead weight

Ouch...

On the contrary I have seen HRTMs do cash office at other stores and we dont deal with money either (just your big fat Target paychecks!)

While a cashier or GSA makes the most logistical sense to do cash office, at my store we simply look for someone who is honest and has good attention to detail. Could be anyone.

While I am not as pessimistic about you being chosen, it doesnt hurt to ask why.

I have heard those 3 hours in the cash office go by quickly. You will still spend plenty of time in the BR, go for it.

At my store only GSAs do the CO and I do it on occasion, when the opening GSA calls out etc. The CO hours fly by.

If you're good with numbers, attention to detail, can do math in your head - those are good extras but it does sound weird.
Our COTMs are usually from GE workcenters because they usually work in other areas up front after they're done in CO. If they're ONLY scheduled in CO, they usually have the option to stay in the event of call-outs.

What are your shifts? Our CO shifts start at 6 am. If the CO doesn't interfere with your hours, I wouldn't say no to being cross trained in something else.

It's definitely something I haven't heard of before, and sounds like some creative thinking from your ETLs. They could just be trying to give you more hours. Or maybe they need a backup and they chose someone who is already in the store most mornings.

On the contrary I have seen HRTMs do cash office at other stores and we dont deal with money either (just your big fat Target paychecks!)
HRTM doing it makes sense though, since it's basically more clerical work and if they need to stay longer to finish, it's not a big deal (whereas a cashier or GSTL needs to finish on time for floor coverage).

Our old CO was a flow tm. She would work from 4-7 breakout/cosmetics, 7-10 CO and would go back to flow after.

She was very meticulous and organized and left to actually work at a bank.

I was under the impression only leadership could do CO.

My store's COTM works SD for a few hours a couple times a week when she's done.

We had a Hardlines TM in the CO for years. She would do her Co hours, then go work the floor. I would ask how this would change your overall hours before you agree to anything.

From my understanding every store is different when it comes to who does the CO. Some stores, like the one I worked at, have a dedicated COTM. Ours worked the Cash Office for many years. She had another job outside of Target that she would go to after finishing in the office. Occasionally, they'd schedule her at Guest Service or as a cashier.

Other stores have the GSAs/GSTLs do it. At your store, it seems that they'll train anyone, which is fine too. It really doesn't matter what workcenter you're in; you can work the CO for extra hours.

So im being trained for cash office which is quite new to me as im a young minor cashier thats been working at target for just over 6 months so i guess they trust me... i have one training day and then im in on my own for 3 days in a row... I told my GSA about this and both him and I are being used for like discounted labor... so im just wondering when any of you guys were trained did you get any kind of raise from it. i know target doesnt really do raises other than the yearly reviews but he thinks i should of and go ask my ETL HR.

ONE training day?! Geez, spot's getting cheap.
Ours get three days: first day observing, second day hands on, third day demonstrate ability.
I usually had my trainees hands on during the first day, tho.
Check the guide & compare it to how your store does it.
Any specific questions, there's a wealth of experience here.

Yea well only one scheduled day for training with something but ive been in there once during a morning service desk shift when i was first told they wanted me trained. Ive been hands on a bit on the first day but just cant remember everything so its nice to have another day. I just find it funny how they train me without giving me both the option or any way im able to grow in the company. I started seasonal for a high school job i want to move up while im in the company and maybe a bit after college but i find it funny that they put so much trust in me and pay me target minimum wage

Unfortunately being Cash office is not a raise. At most stores it is a trustworthy cashier. The upside is getting time away from guest to kind of work in peace and it can pad your hours. Your chances of having to close generally goes down as well.

There's no raise, but it does show that they trust you.

If you want to move up you need to speak up. Nobody is going to randomly offer you a promotion if nobody knows you're interested.

Hah thanks yea I didn't think you get one but my GSA thought you would have... it's nice knowing that I have a bit of peace and quite from the outside world while still being paid. I've brought it up once to my Sr. TL about that I'm interested but we will see how this all plays out. Next week got 3 shifts in a row on my own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back