Resources for Humans (An HR Thread)

I just ran the report in excel and attached it to an email and sent it to all leaders stating that they need to have all TMs complete any training that is expiring soon or is already expired. Let’s see if they actually do it 🙄

Good luck!! I've had marginal success with that in the past. Which report was it?

Yeah, this rollout of the new hiring process and training system are two of the worst executed I’ve ever seen. Job offering someone is way more complicated than it needs to be, its downright comical in fact. It’s the holy hand grenade version of making a job offer, basically.

Yes!! They are changing everything and my etl is still trying to figure it out. We need some tms desperately but can't do anything with all the applications stacking up. I know my etl got info on it all but I guess it's not helping. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Had a walk in today wanting to fill out a paper app. I was like oh hell no. No, nope, never. 🙅🏻‍♀️ Convinced him to go get it done online. Last thing we need now is to throw a paper applicant into the chaos.🤪

Where did you even find the report?? All we could find on Workday was expiring training and certifications. Risk council says training due as of 1 July. I’m about to assign everyone a different day to log into Workday to check for Learnings and see what’s going on on Workbench 😂
I use the “Expiring Courses for HRTP” report. It’s the only one I could find. This rollout needs more direction tbh bc my ETL doesn’t even know of any other reports yet

Which job aid? I didn’t have a lot of time to play around with it yesterday and I want today to feel more productive 🙄😁

I'm off today but I think it was something like job aid for Workday reports or reporting. Search Workbench and EHR+ (or whatever it's called now)...I was all over the place so I don't remember. It's more of a chart with the names of the report, description, when it's supposed to be run and it's not a how-to which would be a lil helpful.

I really do think having set days and reminders to check it every week or month is the best way to keep it going. Being able to run an expiring soon report that lists everything would be the most beneficial but so far it looks like they are run for specific training...I'm pretty sure....it's confusing.

My ETL spent a lot of today getting ready for this weekend and I was left to learn as much as I could about as much as possible. I moved a few requisitions over to interview, found out if they applied for GM but we want them in Style we have to move that too or they’ll be hired into GM even tho the Style interview guides drop in, and learned as much as possible about being a Learner. Which is so very little. So my day felt wasted 😒.

BUT I did find the two reports that we can access and I’ll be keeping track of those. All we’ll really be able to do with only knowing what training is going to expire is make sure everyone checks minimum once a month to see if they have any trainings due. I’m not sure how I feel about the expiring power equipment certs dropping off if they are decertified in time.. on one hand it’ll be nice to not have them red, but on the other what will they have to do to recertify..?

Hey team HR!

How are you guys feeling after Q4? How are your seasonal reductions going?! I feel like our thread needs to be revived!

I think we need reviving 😂

We’re actually in a really good place and bounce back shouldn’t be much of a headache this year. We’ve already cut the TMs we weren’t going to keep. Had a long time TM ask when the cuts were going to happen. I smiled and said they were so painless that they’ve already happened. He was happy!

Hours are a bit rough, that’s to be expected. For the first time ever I have an ETL that isn’t making sure I keep above 30 so that’s a bit rough. Thankfully my head is above water and I’ll be ok with a couple of small weeks. The Leaders know I’ll get hours one way or another muahaha! For the most part we’ve been able to keep our tenured TMs in a comfy place as far as their hours go. Swap shift isn’t very active but we set a week ahead so we’ve over spent already on payroll, the last two weeks will have to be strictly to the hour to ensure we’re okay.

My ETL finally realized that not making Learnings a priority the last couple of months was a poor decision. Between campaigns and expiring learnings we’re at almost 200 learnings to complete by month’s end. We’ll get there and start AE20 all caught up. Not my first rodeo so I knew this would be the case, but thankfully my ETL won’t be new in role next year so we’ll have a smoother time of it. Plus I’ve already been told I can arrange orientations however I want them and I’ll have their support. They realize that I did a tremendous amount of workload for them after a recent visit when our visitors were asking how we managed to be one of the top stores in our group.

I do have to accept that I’m forever losing my training room to become storage for SFS carts and AMP gifting structures. But the condolence is I can have my office painted whatever color is like! Off the approved paint swatches of course.

Hey HR Team!

my ETL has been thinking about seasonally hiring. A few of our TMs have taken a personal LOA due to fear of the corona virus. In my county alone there are over 40+ cases. The number will obviously rise and we expect more TMs to go on leave. What is your opinion on hiring seasonally during this pandemic?

It might be socially irresponsible to bring more people into a higher risk workforce and allow for more potential exposure and spread. On the other hand, if you can hire some of the displaced workers temporarily from other service industries, food/restaurants, airlines, production jobs, etc. that might be a socially responsible thing to do. I don’t know if there’s a right answer.

Were worrying about if we are at the point of seasonal hiring too. We have around 10-12 taking or discussing leaves at the moment putting some stress on those remaining and no one to backfill their positions. Right now were getting alot of interest on people wanting seasonal. Personally against it for as long as we can but availabilities of those remaining are making that very difficult.

This has been by far the most stressful Q1 I've ever been through. Even before covid.

Were worrying about if we are at the point of seasonal hiring too. We have around 10-12 taking or discussing leaves at the moment putting some stress on those remaining and no one to backfill their positions. Right now were getting alot of interest on people wanting seasonal. Personally against it for as long as we can but availabilities of those remaining are making that very difficult.

This has been by far the most stressful Q1 I've ever been through. Even before covid.
My store and another store in my district are the only ones seasonally hiring right now. It feels so bizarre! But it is what’s best in this situation. We currently have 17 TMs on LOA due to the virus and a lot of them were Guest Advocates. So now the shortage up front is affecting other work centers. The only thing is, how can you train someone while maintaining a 6 foot distance?

We’re getting a lot of past TMs calling to see if we’re hiring. Those are the ones we’re taking back just bc they already know what to do and we need a bandaid solution for the immediate problems. We still have several TMs who haven’t decided if they’re going to take a LOA which is kinda screwing us bc we don’t know if we need to start looking to replace them or not 🤷‍♀️ And it’s not like background checks are moving along any faster. So far we’re down 7 on a headcount of 96 (that includes our 3 exempts and 10 TLs) but with the workload we have everyone who wants 40 is getting it.

Is the HR Expert position being phased out? I saw several stores with an opening and it used to be that was position everyone wanted

Popping back into this thread! I left Spot in 2020 when my DH got transferred but my son works for one of the stores in our new city. He’s been there about a year and will be headed to college away next month. He was told that spot’s changing the Educational leave policy and he’ll still have to work occasionally. Is this really true? (I can’t check with my former ETLHR because they quit a few months ago.)

Is the HR Expert position being phased out? I saw several stores with an opening and it used to be that was position everyone wanted
There is turnover in our district and I think they are finding jobs doing similar work for more pay.

Popping back into this thread! I left Spot in 2020 when my DH got transferred but my son works for one of the stores in our new city. He’s been there about a year and will be headed to college away next month. He was told that spot’s changing the Educational leave policy and he’ll still have to work occasionally. Is this really true? (I can’t check with my former ETLHR because they quit a few months ago.)

Back